Playing Advantage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Advantage

Twice today, we had advantage within 30-40m of the opposition line. (i.e. within kicking distance of goal butfar enough thatabsent aclear breakaway for a try, unlikely that a better result than a sure3 points wouldbe the likely immediateresult). Twice today, we got nothing from it. After today, I think a serious discussion within the teamis in orderon the tactics to employ when given advantage at various positions of the pitch.

Where the ref calls "advantage" and weare well within kicking distance but are in a situation where the defence has had time to reset and there's unlikely to be a clear try-scoring opportunity, there should besome signal for the scrum-half to kill the ball at the ruck (a one-inch knock on while keeping possession of the ball - or simply shaking his head to the ref) and take the penalty. At worst, there will be a time where O'Gara might feel it's outside his range and opt to kick it 20-30 m more for a lineout, possibly times where someone gets confused and the advantage is only for a scrum and not a penalty.

The don't know the numberof times over the years that "Advantage Over" has been called whenIreland have immediatelyended up in a worse position than where the foul took place (e.g. O'Gara's kick blocked down against France last year comes to mind). The advantage rule was put in place so that a team that intercepted immediately after a knock-on could run itfor a try without the play having been whistled up. Where a team is only going to make 10-15 yards off of another phase or two, there's often not much point in electing to forego the penalty.

Am I missing something or is this strategy not something that all teams should have discussed in detail over the years? It would have likely tacked on 6 points to Ireland's score today. Secondly, should there be a different "advantage" call by the ref for an impending scrum instead of an impending penalty? It would help a side who hasn't committed the foul better assess their preference of whether to stop the play or keep going...
Working...
X