Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celtic gloating?

Celtic gloating unwise in face of fall from grace by old enemy;Rugby Union
    <DIV =LeadPara>It would not be in their best interest if the Celts gloated over the condition of the England team. The worm can so easily turn. Better to uphold one's dignity and wish to see a reversal of England's form, sooner rather than later. To indulge in another's misfortune is unworthy. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>These are tough times for England, especially after the glorious days they have so recently and for so long enjoyed. It is time to pause for thought. Sporting success and failure, we know, are so cruelly capricious. In the tide that swells between triumph and disaster is a line that is thinly drawn. Winning and losing are close neighbours. Nonetheless, England may find these to be salutary days, from which there is much to learn. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Not so long ago, when the prospect of England's success stretched unchecked into the horizon, rumours abounded that they had outgrown Europe, sharing the Six Nations Championship on an annual basis with France alone. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>If each of the Celtic nations in turn scuppered them of a grand slam, these successes were rare in the overall scheme of things. England's superiority was clear and unquestioned; their record speaking volumes in Europe. Rumour that they would play with the southern hemisphere, jettisoning the Celts in passing, rankled. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>But, as the good book says, to everything there is a season; a time to get and a time to lose. It was England's glorious time in the sun, as it had been for Wales in the Seventies. And we need not rehearse any more in this column what melancholy fate befell Wales so soon and so disastrously after their golden, flaunting, cock-of-the-walk years. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>For England, too, it seemed a never-ending story of success and in contemplating a glistening future they wished to disentangle themselves from their paltry neighbours and to seek what they believed to be contests more akin to their newfound stature in the greener and possibly more lucrative fields of the southern nations. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>There is a time to break down and a time to build up. It is the distance between these two that is crucial. Failing or unable to address the matter, Wales wandered long and aimlessly in the wilderness. It took them more than a quarter of a century to recover to win their first grand slam since 1978. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>England, if lessons are to be learnt, will concentrate their minds on a swift restoration, carefully and urgently but without alarm. The critical mass of attention, as is the nature of these things, rests on the head coach. Andy Robinson is under fire. To part company with him forms the groundswell of opinion. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>It is for ever thus. During Wales's lean period there was a revolving door through which many coaches paraded. Since the 1970s, no Wales coach has stayed the length of his contract. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>It is worth remembering, too, the clamour that called for the head of Clive Woodward in the aftermath of England's failure against South Africa in the World Cup quarter-finals in 1999. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>A coach occupies a lonely and often isolated place. With the help of former and famous international players, pillars of England rugby with heavyweight opinions and influence, who formed a corral of support around him, Woodward survived the storm. The rest, as they say, is history. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>What was of further and crucial evidence in his favour was that, in today's sporting parlance, he had "not lost the dressing-room". His team may have left the tournament but they had not left each othe
    Seas suas agus troid!

Could this be Irelands time in the Sun?
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979

Well, wehave absolutely no excuse for not being the no. 1 European nation by the end of March 2007 - none whatsoever.

I still think that we're a long way behing the All Blacks though. But second in the world (or third - behind the Pumas [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]) will do me.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

3rd behind the pumas would worry me cos we might f**k up in the WC at that rate.

I don't see any gloating going on. The simple fact is their players are very, very ordinary. Their team isn't very good. There's no need to gloat. But I tell you what is gloating/arrogant:

"If each of the Celtic nations in turn scuppered them of a grand slam, these successes were rare in the overall scheme of things. England's superiority was clear and unquestioned"

If it's unquestioned why did they lose to one side each year? In fact in 2001 that superiority was far from unquestioned, the best side that year was wearing green and but for some coaching mistakes in the selection for one game would have been the 2nd GS.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer

3rd behind the pumas would worry me cos we might f**k up in the WC at that rate.

I don't see any gloating going on. The simple fact is their players are very, very ordinary. Their team isn't very good. There's no need to gloat. But I tell you what is gloating/arrogant:

"If each of the Celtic nations in turn scuppered them of a grand slam, these successes were rare in the overall scheme of things. England's superiority was clear and unquestioned"</font>

If it's unquestioned why did they lose to one side each year? In fact in 2001 that superiority was far from unquestioned, the best side that year was wearing green and but for some coaching mistakes in the selection for one game would have been the 2nd GS.
          somebody else has copped on [img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]
          check out other words such as "glorious" etc

the english are arrogant arseholes that are so far up themselves they are coming out of their own mouths.

i hope they lose the next 7 and maybe we may get some humility.........doubt it tho
          If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Schadenfreude, pure and simple. As long as it doesn't distract us from the work ahead, or the fact that we could easily be in the same boat a few short years from now, I say have at it. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
            For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever

the english are arrogant arseholes that are so far up themselves they are coming out of their own mouths.

i hope they lose the next 7 and maybe we may get some humility.........doubt it tho

Where's Ronnie when he's mostneeded! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

The writer of that piece is being arrogant. Bearing in mind that this is the Times and doesn't Jones the Dickhead write for them, then the writer might not even be English.

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979

Sun never shines in Ireland, tis always fe*king raining[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I stopped reading after he said England were way better but beaten to lose the slam. England do have a superiority complex for sure, next time you watch a game that they're losing (which should be soon) listen to how many times the commentator refers to them as "World Champions" etc etc. English channels mentioned a load of times too that SA weren't at full strength against us.

Comment

In other words'Please dont take the piss out of us. Even though we lorded it over you 'Celts' when we won the world cup.'

www.canvasclubshop.com

Comment

Maybe they should have titled the article

"Remember Your Place Surfs, Form is Temporary but Class is Permanent"

That is the kind of arrogance that will keep themin trouble for a while longer. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

The writer of that piece is being arrogant. Bearing in mind that this is the Times and doesn't Jones the Dickhead write for them, then the writer might not even be English.

Just checked and the author is Gerald Davies.
                          'I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose' - Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by HurlerOnDeDitch

Maybe they should have titled the article

"Remember Your Place Surfs, Form is Temporary but Class is Permanent"

That is the kind of arrogance that will keep themin trouble for a while longer. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Surfs? I think you mean Serfs although Surf's is probably getting more accurate these days[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Loop

Just checked and the author is Gerald Davies.

The legendary Welsh wing threequarter? Thank goodness for fair-minded Celts.

Comment

Working...
                              X