Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POC French interview

MIDI OLYMPIQUE (friday edition)
    <br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">I don't know if POC is trying to cloud things for the French but he is being very pessimistic through the whole interview. I am also wondering if the journalist did not take too much liberty while translating as I feel some words (pathetic, ridicule, etc.) are surprisingly strong.@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Anyway, here it is:@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">"France is far from being our favourite opponent. Last year they scored 43 points in one half against us, that had never happened to me before. The other example would be the beating they gave us in the 1/4 final of the World Cup (43-21), another form of humiliation. We cannot afford to be average against them and unfortunately, that's what we are at the moment."@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">"We are favourites for the tournament? That's just words. Two years ago we were also favourites and we ended up being pathetic. One victory in Croke Park would be enough to make me happy. But in the long term, it would be just an illusion if we don't play a higher level of rugby. The grand slam is what everyone is boasting about but it is pretty far from achieved."@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">"With Munster Leicester dominated us with an overpowered scrum and people had promised us the same troubles against Wales. On the contrary, we won thanks to our front line and with a great defence. But that's still not enough if we consider our real ambitions. Keeping on winning is important but asking ourselves the right questions before starting losing is at least as important."@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">"Even with the 80 000 supporting us in Croke park, we don't have our marks there and it will be like playing away. If we produce the same performance as last week, I already know the result of that game. Winning 3-0 with a great forwards game would be enough for me. Losing always hurts but it is losing and being ridicule is far worse. However, I'd be suprised if the difference between the two teams is superior to one or two kicks @@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">in the end.@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">"@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">"If Ireland disppoints again in this tournament, we still have time to rebuild and win somthing. Our rugby is progressing on the right path."@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);"><br style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51);">

Was he drunk giving that interview?[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

Very defeatist. Not impressed.[img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
      Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
      http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
        Was he drunk giving that interview?[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]
        I am really wondering how much the journalist twisted POC's words. There is the usual press talk "oh no, we're not favourites, etc." but that's very very strong.

I still think the Wales game was a good performance and I'd be really surprised if POC really thinks otherwise.

Comment

I am convinced it's all a cunning plan to lull the French boys into their laid back playing style. There's no other logical reason for an interview like that. It's mind games. It's still a team with 15 rugby jerseys, just with differant fillings. It's still a stadium at home with the same problems as the other one: We can't all fit in! The weather is as usual, Shoite! The beer will taste the same and we'll roar abuse at anything we're not happy with!
          PLAY ON.@@@@SPAN style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono;">
          @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 204, 51);">@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">C'MON IRELAND@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>
          @@@@/SPAN></font>

Comment

I think the journalist wrote the article first and did the interview afterwards. Poetic licence no doubt.

Comment

Interview has probably been translated from english to french and then back to english again by someone else, so its always going to sound strange. Kind of chinese whisper effect. Anyway he was always going to talk down our chances when talking to the french press.

Comment

I am the one who translated back to English, if you excuse my French (english syntax), the rest is as close as possible to the French transcription of the interview.

As dipstick said, the journo probably wrote his article first and gave the interview the spin he wanted. He probably thought no Irish were going to read that, that was counting without me [img]smileys/badgrin.gif[/img].

Comment

Seems to be all true. France beat us off the field what else is he meant to say?

@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">"France is far from being our favourite opponent. Last year they scored 43 points in one half against us, that had never happened to me before. The other example would be the beating they gave us in the 1/4 final of the World Cup (43-21), another form of humiliation. We cannot afford to be average against them and unfortunately, that's what we are at the moment."@@@@/SPAN><BR style="COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)"><BR style="COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

If Brian O'Driscoll came out with that garbage (take into account the keyword translations and its still defeatist nonsense) he'd be absolutely savaged on this site and his captaincy would be shredded on a 10 page post.

You wouldnt catch Keane or O'Driscoll coming with crap like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozoyo
                      I am the one who translated back to English, if you excuse my French (english syntax), the rest is as close as possible to the French transcription of the interview.

Fair play - hope i didn't cause any offence by taking issue with it. I'd hardly be able to say my name in french. 3 years of ignoring pa alyward in SMC responsible for that!

Comment

paulie normally plays everything down, but not to this extent. it really doesn't sound like something he would say. where did the interview come from?

Comment

sorry just read the top of the page and answered my own question. still asleep and nursing a hangover.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cling Cling

Originally posted by Ozoyo

Fair play - hope i didn't cause any offence by taking issue with it. I'd hardly be able to say my name in french. 3 years of ignoring pa alyward in SMC responsible for that!
                            [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] Not at all, you're right saying that this has been translated two times and there is probably some distortion.

I also doubt the ability of any French man to fully understand and translate correctly the words of a Limerick man in the first place.

Anyway other people seem to agree that those words don't really sound like POC. It would be interesting to submit this article to him and see if he recognises anything. Midi Olympique is known to be a pretty partisan paper and I would not be surprised if they distorted the interview to make it sound dramatic.

Comment

I read that yesterday and I was really really impressed. Finally an
                              Irish player telling it as it is &amp; not hiding behind the bluff
                              &amp; bluster we usually get. The Cardiff performance was a disaster
                              apart from our defence (&amp; poor welsh finishing). Our appaling
                              record against France where we've lost our last 4 games (2 of them were
                              right thrashings &amp; 3rd was a heavy defeat) is dreadful. When
                              Munster, Leinster &amp; even Ulster up until last season are playing a
                              french side at home, they fully expect to win and even away they fancy
                              their chances. The Irish national team with the same players against
                              the same opponents more often than not gets hammered. It's not good
                              enough &amp; POC has basically said it in this interview.

Bravo Paul. If only for your honesty &amp; utter frankness, you're captain material.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X