Emergency Last Call for Croatia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Last Call for Croatia

Tonight rugby won a major battle in Croatia, especially Knin, and the fools who were trying to kill the sport off in our little town were seriously knocked back. But now we've to cement things.

As many posters here know Knin Rugby Club have been wonderfully looked after by Abbeyfeale, Kilkenny, St. Munchins and Munster Branch, but now we need the next big push, bodies!

I know that St. Patrick's Day is a sacred one and deemed only suitable for imbibing glutonous quantities of black stuff (Guinness or Murphy's) but we need a hand out here.

We need a few players to show up and play a game to help celebrate our National holiday to cement our sport and place in the town.(March 15th-19)If it helps, hotels and transfers are looked after, and with Ryanair flying into Pula it's looking at around €100-120 to fly in, a little more going via Prague.

If there is anyone who feels fit enough to pull on a jersey, get yourself out here and save our bacon!

A million thanks,

Alan

Alan, I would suggest organising the game so that it doesnt clash with
    the Italy Ireland match and also if you could organise somewhere
    relatively nearby to show it.
    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by hiberno

Tonight rugby won a major battle in Croatia, especially Knin, and the fools who were trying to kill the sport off in our little town were seriously knocked back. But now we've to cement things.

As many posters here know Knin Rugby Club have been wonderfully looked after by Abbeyfeale, Kilkenny, St. Munchins and Munster Branch, but now we need the next big push, bodies!

I know that St. Patrick's Day is a sacred one and deemed only suitable for imbibing glutonous quantities of black stuff (Guinness or Murphy's) but we need a hand out here.

We need a few players to show up and play a game to help celebrate our National holiday to cement our sport and place in the town.(March 15th-19)If it helps, hotels and transfers are looked after, and with Ryanair flying into Pula it's looking at around €100-120 to fly in, a little more going via Prague.

If there is anyone who feels fit enough to pull on a jersey, get yourself out here and save our bacon!

A million thanks,

Alan

Never heard about this...anybody know what this is about?Why did Munster et al help them out and what did they do?
      Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

ll, hiberno would have been on the old site a good few times asking for
        help and advice, he is strongly involved in a club in knin, which has
        had a lot of grief from the local football club who have done their
        best to close it down. As he lists above a number of people have helped.

Alan, If I'm wrong in any of this please correct me.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

I remember some1 asking for players on the old site before alright....but thats about it...
          Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Is that Knin in the mountains near the Bosnian border?<!-
            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
            var SymReal;

Sym()
            {
            window.open = SymWinOpen;
            if(SymReal != null)
            SymReal();
            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
            {
            if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
            window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
            SymReal = window.;
            window. = Sym;
            }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
            window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor
              ll, hiberno would have been on the old site a good few times asking for
              help and advice, he is strongly involved in a club in knin, @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">which has
              had a lot of grief from the local football club who have done their
              best to close it down@@@@/SPAN>. As he lists above a number of people have helped.

Alan, If I'm wrong in any of this please correct me.

The Ban is alive and well in Croatia! Seriously, though one of my favourite places on earth.
              Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Hi Scotscor, we're looking to move it to Sunday, witha celebration on the Saturday after Ireland clinch the Grand Slam, but if it is on Saturday it'll be early afternoon with the game on tv afterwards. You're dead right about the trouble we've had, and it's not even along the "ban" lines, it's purely that we didn't discriminate along ethnic lines, didn't have a member of the ruling political party as President and also that we began to show up soccer in the town as poorly run and only interested in cleaning money (the owner of Dinamo Zagreb "donated" over a quarter of a million euros to sport in the town that went solely to the soccer club and only 40,000 has since been accounted for).

Neil, yes, it's that place on the border that everyone passes through and knows of because of the war.

Chief, the country is smashing, the people in general are great, the problem remains lack of initiative on many levels and even the top pro soccer/basketball clubs are run in ways that make Shelbourne look like Microsoft!

I'm posting next a little timeline on how we've been battling against the tide and finally winning!

Comment

@@@@SPAN =post>

Just about4 years ago we began setting up a club here in Knin (not as easy as back home thanks to rampant communism) and at the time I was playing soccer with the local club.

So having begun to get interest and players we decided in the late summer/early autumn of 2004 to fully register - yet the department governing sport in our town gave us not one iota of help as to where to go, who to see etc. Instead they gave us reasons notto register. Finally over the winter we submitted out papers and waited, and waited, and finally in March 2005 were told, there is a problem with spelling in one of the documents, plus I, as a foreigner, couldn't be on the governing committee (which was a total lie but I didn't know then what I know now, etc etc).

So we took them back, quickly changed and resubmitted them (having run them by the local department 1st), and waited, and waited, until June when we were told that we needed to have all new documents in the 1st place as they were out of date.

The, to make matters worse, the local soccer club began really doing a number on us, I was working for a week in Zagreb and came back to find that our players couldn't train as they'd been barred from the field. And then in mid-July when we were due to host our 1st game (we'd always had to play outside due to the "unavailability" of the soccer field(s) ) they dug up our practice pitch for resurfacing and got a special letter to close the other field as it needed to be reseeded in parts, a week earlier than originally planned.

But we battled on, we couldn't register as we'd no home, we had no field to train on so we had to go outside the town, thus losing our kids, and even when the regional rugby union (Dalmatia) stepped in, and we (gasping) received notice of registration for the club, launching it last St. Patrick's Day, they wouldn't quit.

We were refused funding from the town, refused access for games and training. We did finally get a home game in (we're in the Interliga 2nd Division South) which was attempted to be stopped by the soccer club "losing" the keys to the dressing rooms, again! That was December 3rd, 2006, and since that they stopped us training, still - despite agreeing to us having an hour to train on Tuesday and Thursday each week.

And 3 weeks ago it hit an all-time low (high) when we were due to start training for the New Year. We arrived to the field, myself and our chief youth coach, players waiting but unable to change or get on the field. Also there was a film crew from our version here of RTE 1 news, who were doing a piece on rugby in Knin and how it's open to all and making progress. Yet they filmed 1st hand us not being allowed to set foot on the grass.

Then, as the reporter was interviewing Zoran (yth coach) and 2 seniors (1 local Serb the other local Croat), the bunch of apes from the soccer club, huddled around the secretary and president, started throwing nasty comments "serblovers", "rugbygays". What amused me was that 2 of the guys involved in the namecalling are actually SERB!

So having submitted even more paperwork, and been refused access, and our Mayoress sneering that we'd have to find somewhere else to spread our stupid game and inclusivity, we went up to Zagreb and in less than 24hours the ruling political party (advised by one PJ Mara of Scrap Saturday fame) made the locals jump.

We've been granted the field for the 17th of March, and for training sufficient for our needs (not too much right now, as we've to rebuild the youth section).

Which is why I had to put the call out at home for folks to visit/play. Like I'd mentioned in the original post, tansfers to airports are on us, as is hotel accomodation. This is a big deal not only for our place but also for rugby in the country as it's building the links with Munster and Ireland. A numberof posters on this board gave great

Comment

Quite amazing storyHiberno, hope it all works out for the 17th and in the future.

Comment

Spread the word Snamh, if it takes having people swim here it'll be worth it. The game here can blossom if we can get teams/players to visit and give our kids something to aim for.

There is a strong link with New Zealand (Sean Fitzpatrick, Frano Botica are just a couple of lads with Croatian ancestry), but we've begun to develop our players from within and the next step is to have a regional team begin to step up towards th Challenge Cup, it's 10 years away, but we have to plan!

Comment

Thanks so far for the interest, we've at least a Limerickman on the way, which will begin to balance out the Leinster contingent!

2 kids walkingthrough Split wearing Irish rugby shirts (locals) on Saturday, there's hope for us yet!

Comment

Skyhawk making his international bow:

http://visitcroatia.proboards21.com/...action=display &amp;board=news&amp;thread=1172913537&amp;page= 1
                          Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

At long last [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

We lost well [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

<!-StartFragment -><TT>http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_7644.php</TT>

Comment

Working...
                              X