Should Ireland target Larkham

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Ireland target Larkham

Basically sides say they target ROG but I've seen enough of Larkham to suggest he's not really any better at stopping the big men. Should we go out with the deliberate aim to run Leamy and Wallace at him for both mental pressure gains and to break through their midfield?
    Yes as a deliberate tactic
    0%
    Yes but not as a deliberate tactic
    0%
    No
    0%
    Matt Williams (unsure)
    0%

The back row should always target that channel, even against a good defender (and a good 8 should still get over the gainline, even against a Wilkinsonesque tackler). It keeps the opposition back row tied in a bit closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy
      The back row should always target that channel, even against a good defender (and a good 8 should still get over the gainline, even against a Wilkinsonesque tackler). It keeps the opposition back row tied in a bit closer.

Pretty basic rugby -so yes - always - regardless of who it is.
      Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

That's why there's the yes but not as a deliberate tactic option. I was talking purely about going for Larkham at most opportunities (the way NZ claimed they'd gone after ROG) cos I reckon he's worth something for us, especially against those 2 and also if POC gets up some steam I reckon he could take real stopping by any of their midfield and we would really open space for the backs to run into.

Comment

How can you target someone other than deliberately?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Latham will run back any poorly directed kicks, most likely with considerable interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
              How can you target someone other than deliberately?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

It has me confused too. I suppose you could target the channel more because of the particular players involved and you could use it more often - so yes I expect to see Wally and Leamy pop through there a few times tomorrow.
              Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

Dermot is this a wrong thread one? I was talking about aiming runners at Larkham.

In terms of deliberately, as the guys said, we should run at 10 channel or 10-12 channel often anyway but that would just be normal tactic as compared to saying it's Larkham let's run at him.

Comment

Actually going off topic, I think Latham should be treated (as I've said elsewhere) like Robinson. You can put the kicks around him but you defend as a line, concede some ground but hit him by cutting the space and then trying to overwhelm and wrap up. So long as we don't give him individuals to run at and don't kick into central areas that give him good angles to send a kick back with interest it's not something we should be scared of. We just have to keep our organisation and structure throughout the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer

Dermot is this a wrong thread one? I was talking about aiming runners at Larkham.

In terms of deliberately, as the guys said, we should run at 10
                    channel or 10-12 channel often anyway but that would just be normal
                    tactic as compared to saying it's Larkham let's run at him.

My all wrong. Sorry. Latham/Larkham look similar when speed reading.

Comment

we should be targetting the lot of em

theres scores to settle with australia after croker

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever

I hope you're not serious.

Comment

Whatever motivation it takes to win is fine by me.

Comment

The thought did come into my mind actually but disappeared because this is a chance to win a game here and set out a marker - much as we might have tried a bit more use of fringe players.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever

Didn't see what happened in the mongrel game, as it was of absolutely no interest to me- but it has nothing to do with the game on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X