Peter Stringer ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Stringer ???

Peter Stringer was hopleless . clueless and useless in the game yesterday he has got to be replaced for the game against the French

How profoundly insightful and constructive! Give that man a job with The Irish Times...

Stringer did not offer enough yesterday but Boss has been in average form with Ulster. When Stringer's passing is less than brilliant then the deficiencies to his game get even more scrutiny - deservedly so i guess. Stringer needs a big game next week...

Comment

When you have 3 or 4 guys going over the top at every ruck, hands in for every contested ball on the ground, guys not binding in the scrum, guys off-side at every opportunity it makes life a tad complicated for a SH. Strings was pretty competent yesterday in that he conceded nothing. Peel was mooted by some of our friends in the meeja as being a potential MoM - where was he when Murphy launched what seemed like a very speculative up-and-under? Stringer was his usual tackling best throughout the game. He was quick to support D'Arcy in the lead-up to RoG's try - despite the attentions of a couple of red-jersied lads. With Popham and Williams it wasn't going to be a stroll in the park for him. He did just fine.

Stringer was the best SH on the pitch yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by mike11

Stringer was the shortest SH on the pitch yesterday.
        Fixed that for you.

Stringer reached his normal level of mediocrity yesterday, hes consistant in that. He was however the poorest scrum half on view all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogfan

Fixed that for you.

Stringer reached his normal level of mediocrity yesterday, hes consistant in that. He was however the poorest scrum half on view all weekend.

He was playing against the best spoiling back row on show as well.

Peel didn't get a break all day, but I suppose that doesn't count for anything. If he's not running around 10 men, juggling flaming torches and pulling monkey's out of his arse he's mediocre.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I agree he gave a good performance under difficult circumstances. One thing that has come back into his game,however is the arm-flapping and mouthing at the ref,in some cases while play is still going on. We had very little of that last season but now it's back big-time and I wish it wasn't. Refs can give yellow cards now for dissent or whatever you want to call it. Give it up,Pete.
            The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy
              Originally posted by Rogfan

Fixed that for you.

He was playing against the best spoiling back row on show as well.

Peel didn't get a break all day, but I suppose that doesn't count for anything. If he's not running around 10 men, juggling flaming torches and pulling monkey's out of his arse he's mediocre.

i'd settle for a rounded game where his kicking, breaking and defending (and not glory hunting ankle taps) were up to the level of his passing and arm flapping. I'll leave the reeperbahn adult show stuff to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness
                I agree he gave a good performance under difficult circumstances. One thing that has come back into his game,however is the arm-flapping and mouthing at the ref,in some cases while play is still going on. We had very little of that last season but now it's back big-time and I wish it wasn't. Refs can give yellow cards now for dissent or whatever you want to call it. Give it up,Pete.
                Could not have put it better. He should play whats in front of him and be there for the ball and just shut up. Somebody should send him a video of Mignoni as to how a S/H should play.

Comment

If the opposition are killing the ball all day and you're scrum half isn't shouting about it then he wants flogging.

On the one hand we complain about the standard of reffing, and then complain when someone remonstrates.

Scrum halves are never going to get done for dissent for appealing to the ref- it's their job to be a chippy little f**ker, and that's one he does well.

"Glory hunting ankle taps"? His defending is perfectly sound, and throwing around speculative phrases doesn't change the fact.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I thought his passing was at its usual standard, especially considering the pressure he was under from their back row. ROG alwayshad plenty of time to get his kicks away thanks to the speed of Stringer's pass, he simply wasn't striking the ball well.

String'sbox kicking was handy enough,especially the one in the build up to our first try. It was perfectly weighted, over Chekaj's headbut only dribbling into touch, putting himin two minds about what to do with it.

His defence was excellent. Made his tackles and kept tabs on Peel and their back row. It's not often you don't see Peel make at least one clean break in a game (credit to Easterby and Wallyfor that too).

He does not have a break and by the looks of it he never will. A major flaw in his game.

I think I'd start him again next week but I'd be inclined to bring Boss on with 30 minutes to go, just to change the focus of our attack and catch the French napping around the fringes. I think the contrast between the two could be used to our advantage.

Comment

Stringer was the best SH on the pitch yesterday.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

You're kidding right...

Comment

Rogfan,

Take a look at what the Welsh b-row was doing (mostly illegal, but you have to play what the ref allows....). Stringer completely negated Peel, setup 2 tries and was excellent as usual in defense. He tidied up waht was generally messy ball from our lineouts. If that wasn't the best SH on the pitch I don't know what game you were looking at. O'Gara had time on the ball, Jones didn't. It's what a good SH does for his FH.

Or would you prefer if Pete had conceded acouple of scores - as Dwayne did?

Comment

Mike... Peel is small, Murphy is tall and a full back. There was only ever going to be one winner of that contest. Didn't Peel wait for him to come to ground and then tackle him? And by "setting up 2 tries" you mean he passed it out to the backline from a ruck, then sure he did.

Comment

Saying he was the best SH on the pitch yesterday is less ridiculous than saying he was "hopeless, clueless and useless". His performance wasup tohis usual fairly high standards. Good passing, decent kicking, very solid defence, mostly good decision making, no real attacking threat.

Peel is a better SH but was largely negated yesterday by Stringer and our back row. Stringer didn't didn't do anything to get himself dropped but there is a case for starting Boss if we want a greater attacking threat at the expense of certain other aspects of SH play.

Comment

Originally posted by danthefan
                              Mike... Peel is small, Murphy is tall and a full back. There was only ever going to be one winner of that contest. Didn't Peel wait for him to come to ground and then tackle him? And by "setting up 2 tries" you mean he passed it out to the backline from a ruck, then sure he did.

Come on Dan - I agree that Peel was better but there's probably about an inch between Peel and Murphy not that Peel necessarily did too much wrong then. You also have to give credit to Stringer for the O Gara try -the speed of his passing action iscritical in those situations -Peel or Phillips would have got a bit of white line fever in that position methinks. Also strongly agree, as a scrum half myself,that the polite moaning is necessary and that you are a lot less likely to get pulled up for it compared to a lock or a back-row. You'll definitely get a warning before any action is taken anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X