Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of Ireland V England in Croker

@@@@SPAN =mw-line>Background@@@@/SPAN>

Bloody Sunday had its origins in the Irish War of Independence, which followed the formation of a unilaterally declared Irish Republic and its parliament, Dáil Éireann. The army of the republic, the Irish Republican Army waged a guerrilla war against the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC), its auxiliary organisations and the British army, who were tasked with suppressing Irish separatism.

In response to IRA actions, the British Government formed paramilitary forces to augment the RIC, the Black and Tans (a nickname arising from their mixture of uniforms), and the Auxiliary Division (generally known as the Auxiliaries or Auxies). The behaviour of both groups immediately became controversial (one major critic was King George V) for their brutality and violence towards not just IRA suspects and prisoners but Irish people in general. In Dublin, the war largely took the form of assassinations and reprisals on either side.

The events on the morning of the 21st of November were an effort by the IRA in Dublin, under Michael Collins and Richard Mulcahy to wipe out the British intelligence organisation in the city. It was the Auxiliaries that were responsible for the British reprisals on the afternoon of Bloody Sunday.

<A id=Collins.27_plan name=Collins.27_plan></A>
    <H3>@@@@SPAN =editsecti&#111;n>[edit]@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN =mw-line>Collins' plan@@@@/SPAN></H3>

Since 1919, Irish Finance Minister, head of the secretive Irish Republican Brotherhood and IRA Chief of Intelligence Michael Collins had operated a clandestine "Squad" of IRA members in Dublin, which was used to assassinate RIC
    Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

So are we predicting a score of 14-0 or 19-16?
    =========================
    \"Our Association cannot be expected to accept a vista where the competing sporting organisations have no capital investment commitments, can exploit the value of their existing infrastructure and use our facilities as a cash cow, while investing their returns in games development\" - Liam Mulvihill.

Comment

f**ks sake I am looking for an independant view [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

"The British Brigadier Frank Crozier, technically in command that day, later resigned over what he believed was the official condoning of the unjustified actions of the Auxiliaries in Croke Park. One of his officers told him that, "Black and Tans fired into the crowd without any provocation whatsoever"<SUP id=_ref-17 ="reference">[18]</SUP>."

Even the hated Brits had more ethics than Tony Killeen has - Crozier didn't blame his staff, he walked.
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I am bringing my shotgun to Croker. I've had enough. After this long.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
            I am bringing my shotgun to Croker. I've had enough. After this long.

Don't end it all Harry - your son needs you.
            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

no this is it [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

And what about the French?
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Doesn't matter to Harry - if they ain't from Cork, they're all Brits.

Comment

true

Comment

Well I'm fom Cork and I'm worried about the French in a small way..

Comment

Unless the weather is cat, (or we get another dud ref. like Beaker) the French will hammer us.

Comment

As I said worried in a small way

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Feck em, they are landing at Kinsale and Westport, we will be waiting for weeks before they get to Croker.
                            =========================
                            \"Our Association cannot be expected to accept a vista where the competing sporting organisations have no capital investment commitments, can exploit the value of their existing infrastructure and use our facilities as a cash cow, while investing their returns in games development\" - Liam Mulvihill.

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X