Johhny Wilkinson!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johhny Wilkinson!!

England v Scotland just over!! Just cant help feeling that Wilkinsons proformance is going to be talked up to make him look like the answer to all their problems even though scotlands last try clearly exposed their midfield weakness! As soon as they play a side with an anyway decent midfield (no offence to scotland) that they will be severly exposed!! Does anyone else agree with me or is it just my longing for england to lose talking!!!
    If you even dream of beating me you\'d better wake up and apologize.
    Muhammad Ali

Wilkinson was simply brilliant for his first test match in 2 years. But Scotland were dreadful, three of the English tries wouldn't have happened against a half decent side - nobody covered Lund on the wing for a 5 yard run in, Robinson should have been tackled for his first try, instead sold a ridiculous dummy, his second should have been gathered by the Scottish winger. The Wilkinson try, well it wasn't...

they call it \'passion\', we call it pride

Comment

I think the amount of ball Sctoland kicked showed how little confidence they had in their midfield, though Tindall/Farrell wouldn't look like an obvious defensive weakspot to me.

I think where they might start to come unstuck is in second and third phase up the middle - scotland were unusually poor around the fringe for a Scots side today.

I thought England looked improved, but I don't think France will be losing any sleep after their performance in Rome earlier.

We'll see how wales and ireland will feel about it tomorrow I guess.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I thought that he had a great game.

Bear in mind though that Scotland have about as much a cutting edge as a large beach ball. Their defense was suspect throughout the game both close-in and when attacked across the width of the pitch.

England could and should have won by more.

BBC had a field day with many superlatives aimed at this "new" England etc. etc, I think we should all attempt to call the rest of the 6 nations off, and give the trophy to Engerland tomorrow. It will definitely be better for us in the long run !

Roll on their games against us and the French, it'll be a different story I think.

Comment

Ya english midfield does look dodgy but should improve with a bit more game time together. That said it'll surely be an area thatireland (and others) will target.Hats off to wilkinson as well in fairness. Opposition was terrible but given how little he's played of late it must have went even better than he'd have imagined. Bit of a dodgy try but you wouldn't begrudge him for it. As for the conversion that followed, he could have kicked it blindfolded and it would still have went over!

Comment

I agree with you,Flycaster. Engand were in no way tested and to get carried away about the "New England" is a bit premature. Unfortunately we'll have to listen to more of same next weekend as they have what should be another soft game

That being said full marks to Wilkinson for an excellent return to International rugby. I thought Ellis was top-class as well and would have been instrumental in Wilko's getting a fair bit of space.
            The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Johnny was brilliant. Shur the Brains Brian Moore said it and he gave him MOM even though he said Ellis deserved it. Johnny hitting some French forwards full on is going to make him wish he did not made a comeback. For God's sake the Scottish did not even try to discomfort Johnny. Scotland were pathetic and the Willow Park Under 11's coached by Hook would beat them.
              Munster to Win the HCUP in 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by Cling Cling
                @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(153, 51, 0); font-weight: bold;">As for the conversion that followed, he could have kicked it blindfolded and it would still have went over!@@@@/SPAN>
                Donal Courtney, the Irish ref, was the TMO, how in god's name did he award that try ?

Wilko's right foot is clearly touching the ground in-touch before he grounds the ball ! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Specsavers me ars* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Was never a try, but he played well. Ellis was my MOTM, though. Some great breaks.

Robinson looked dangerous as well.

With the French looking strong this afternoon, we canhopefully put away the "grand slam or bust" s**te and focus on the very real chance of winning the championship.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Dodgy try or not, that's one hell of a way to mark your return to international rugby after such a long layoff. The Scots may have made it easy on him by not hitting him hard but that's their problem to sort out.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

I agree with you,Flycaster. Engand were in no way tested and to get carried away about the "New England" is a bit premature. Unfortunately we'll have to listen to more of same next weekend as they have what should be another soft game

We had the same hype about Ireland after the 3 Autumn International matches against scratch teams. The sports media seem to need to be hysterical about almost everything these days.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

He played very well, this will give the English confidence but they were both very poor teams - Scotland lacked any kind of punch, and England did the basic well - JW was superp.

Comment

The thing that stuck home most with me that was after 2 tries the commentators changed the english from england to " england the world cup champions"

Amm 1 win against an under par scotish team does not make them anywhere near as good as the team that one the world cup!!
                          If you even dream of beating me you\'d better wake up and apologize.
                          Muhammad Ali

Comment

i'm just back fom molly malones pub in richmond.. class place.. met loads of happy english.. even when i said well done for 4th 5th play off win... haha..

but it was a pleasure to see Wilkinson play so well, and score that try.. well deserved...[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Jonny was excellent.Though it certainly wasn't a try. I don't mind that Ingerland will now be talked up as the next big ting - may make them a bit complacent. Looking forward to Croker big time!

Comment

Working...
                              X