• SkibRed
    started a topic Official Proper Confirmed Welsh Team

Official Proper Confirmed Welsh Team

Chavs to line up like so -

Wales team to face Ireland: K Morgan (Dragons);
    AN Other, H Luscombe (Harlequins), J Hook (Ospreys), C Czekaj (Blues);
    S Jones (Scarlets, capt), D Peel (Scarlets); G Jenkins (Blues), R
    Thomas (Blues), C Horsman (Worcester), I Gough (Dragons), A Wyn Jones
    (Ospreys), A Popham (Scarlets), M Williams (Blues), R Jones (Ospreys).
    Replacements: M
    Rees (Scarlets), Duncan Jones (Ospreys), R Sidoli (Blues), Gavin Thomas
    (Scarlets), M Phillips (Blues), C Sweeney (Dragons), J Robinson (Blues).<!- E BO ->

</font>

• Jackie Brown
    replied

Originally posted by Cling Cling
    Originally posted by Riptide

Horsman on Horan will be an interesting confrontation.

Horsman might not be of the rank of White, Visagie or Hayman but he's a powerful technician.

Wonder if the new scrum laws have made Horan's life more difficult.

Hook and jim glennon seem to think that horsman is the best tighthead in the 6 nations where as neil francis called him a poor player. Can anyone shed any light on this as i can't say i'm familiar with the player myself? I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle.
    Since when did Neil Francis know anything??

Leave a comment:

• Cling Cling
    replied
    Originally posted by Riptide

Horsman on Horan will be an interesting confrontation.

Horsman might not be of the rank of White, Visagie or Hayman but he's a powerful technician.

Wonder if the new scrum laws have made Horan's life more difficult.

Hook and jim glennon seem to think that horsman is the best tighthead in the 6 nations where as neil francis called him a poor player. Can anyone shed any light on this as i can't say i'm familiar with the player myself? I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• Buns (Cardiff)
    replied
    Originally posted by gwac

Originally posted by blackadder
    No G.Thomas, no T.Shanklin, no S.Williams and no M.Jones. Let's be honest Ireland couldn't have asked for any more really!

Indeed, none of the above are available for Wales and yet we are still weighing up the one to one matches. It gives the impression Wales have endless depth to draw on. When you think Henson doesn't even make the bench... Is there something fishy here or are they really that good?

I have a feeling that Wales are going to be exposed on Sunday. Sure, they have quality, especially at the halfs, but there are a couple of factors against them. (1) They have had their preparations messed up, both by the uncertainty hovering over the injured wings and the whole Thomas Crown affair (2) The centres are a pair of rookies (3) their tactics seem to be based on copying Lecister by outmuscling Ireland in the front three. Ireland, in contrast, have a settled squad who have prepared in serene conditons (barring a bout of in camp fisticuffs), they have equally well oiledhalfs but the difference is that the centres they are serving are both wise and potent and as for the scrum, well, I think they'll be ready for Wales up front, they'll know what to expect. Add to that a back row with Easterby and Leamy scrambling for every ball on the floor with Best ready to be sprung in reserve and I think we have a competitive edge.

There are a couple of uncertainties - Leamy being 100%, will the front three front up - but the game is ours for the taking. Nothing less than a solid win will do, otherwise it's Ireland who'll be the ones exposed because we are for all intents and purposes at full strength.

Gwac

Wales will never play like cynical Leicester[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] too many footballers in the side. With Hook, Jamie Robinson &amp; Czekaj in the side - despite their international inexperience - there are potentially more footballers in the "3s" than in a first choice unit.

The $64k question - will their defence be up to it??

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied

Originally posted by Kerry-Exile
    An opinion much agreed with across Wales.

except on the fountain of knowledge that is GWLAD[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Kerry-Exile
    replied
    An opinion much agreed with across Wales.

Leave a comment:

• Ruck
    replied
    Fair play to him. He's right.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied

Coach worried by Henson's celebrity

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:01

Wales coach Gareth Jenkins believes ths showbusiness hype surrounding Gavin Henson is affecting the player's rugby.
    Despite injuries and the suspension of former captain Gareth Thomas, Jenkins has still left Henson out of his entire matchday 22 for Sunday's Six Nations opener against Ireland at the Millennium Stadium.

Henson, complete with his perma-tan, shot to prominence on and off the field as he helped Wales win a Six Nations Grand Slam two years ago.

Interest in his life away from rugby intensified when he started going out with Charlotte Church, well-known in Britain in her own right as a singer and television personality.

The pair were dubbed Wales's answer to David and Victoria Beckham and this season 25-year-old Henson has been photographed with Church in the French ski resort of Chamonix, much to the disgust of some former internationals.

Just a matter of days ago Jenkins appeared relax about Henson's lifestyle, saying: "Gavin is fine. I haven't talked to him about anything other than his rugby. We know his ability and as long as outside distractions don't detract from what I want or what the team wants from him then that's alright."

But, having announced Thursday his side to play Ireland, Jenkins said of the Ospreys star: "My concerns about Gavin are based on the pressures surrounding him and the press is one of them.

"He hasn't got a moment when he isn't being scrutinised - he is scrutinised far more than any other player and that is hard on him."

Jenkins added: "He is not good enough to be in this team. He is one of 33 players around me in this squad and he will be treated like everyone else in terms of selection criteria.

"I will be judging him week by week during the campaign.

"At the moment he isn't playing his best rugby, but he is very talented and he is in an environment here where we are working hard.

"In this environment he can demonstrate that eventually he will compete for selection. This doesn't mean he can't get back into the Six Nations. He is realistic, he knows what he is.

"He shares my views and he is fine. Whenever I feel it is right to pick him, I will pick him."

Jenkins kept Kevin Morgan at full-back and, following the loss of injured duo Shane Williams and Mark Jones, opted for Hal Luscombe and Chris Czekaj on the wings.

Thats to the point![img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Mcork
    replied
    Very good analysis gwac. Cant argue with the logic. the only thing is because it's the 1st game, we have no real form guide. The AI's were in Nov &amp; this is feb. However if we play like we did 1st half against Aus, I foresee few problems. The question is can we hit ground running. If we start slowly, Wales will grow in confidence &amp; they do have some decent players. I expect us to win though. We have a better team.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    Originally posted by gwac

No G.Thomas, no T.Shanklin, no S.Williams and no M.Jones. Let's be honest Ireland couldn't have asked for any more really!

Indeed, none of the above are available for Wales and yet we are still weighing up the one to one matches. It gives the impression Wales have endless depth to draw on. When you think Henson doesn't even make the bench... Is there something fishy here or are they really that good?

I have a feeling that Wales are going to be exposed on Sunday. Sure, they have quality, especially at the halfs, but there are a couple of factors against them. (1) They have had their preparations messed up, both by the uncertainty hovering over the injured wings and the whole Thomas Crown affair (2) The centres are a pair of rookies (3) their tactics seem to be based on copying Lecister by outmuscling Ireland in the front three. Ireland, in contrast, have a settled squad who have prepared in serene conditons (barring a bout of in camp fisticuffs), they have equally well oiledhalfs but the difference is that the centres they are serving are both wise and potent and as for the scrum, well, I think they'll be ready for Wales up front, they'll know what to expect. Add to that a back row with Easterby and Leamy scrambling for every ball on the floor with Best ready to be sprung in reserve and I think we have a competitive edge.

There are a couple of uncertainties - Leamy being 100%, will the front three front up - but the game is ours for the taking. Nothing less than a solid win will do, otherwise it's Ireland who'll be the ones exposed because we are for all intents and purposes at full strength.

exactly, its time to put our money where our mouths (and print etc) have been since the AI's. If we are realistic contenders for the world cup we should be looking at a good win here, especially with their injuries but I would expect us to win even if they had a full strength team based on form in the AI's

Leave a comment:

• gwac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied

Kelvin Beaker meep meep meep

is ref. on Sunday.

He'sa ref that I haveno strong views on, yet. Has anyone else?

Leave a comment:

• cornerboy
    replied

So close home advantage must be a significant factor.

the english and welsh are building Ireland up to favouritism for the tournament again, it just doesnt rest easy. still there's enough class to take a weakened welsh outfit.

Leave a comment:

• Buns (Cardiff)
    replied

My post a week ago - in another thread - analysis still stands[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD =bold>landers wrote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#c0c0c0>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#f3f3f3>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD =text>

Glad that's sorted Buns.. I'm not exactly they must I.T. informed lad and dont get to post regularly..

Hope all at St Albans and you're Irish visitors enjoy the weekend in Cardiff. Wont be there myself. Expecting an Irish victory !

</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Landers the last Wales v Ireland, Cardiff game was the 2005 GS game - the Welsh equivalent of your brilliant invasion of Cardiff in May 06

IMHO - the game is too close to call. Wales will work over "Judo Al Hayes", O'Connell &amp; O'Callaghan will dominate the line out, Back row (marginally) Ireland, Half backs Wales, BOD/Darcy class but Welsh backs can strut their stuff - with sufficient ball.

I'll go a Welsh win

Leave a comment:

• McCloud
    replied

Originally posted by danthefan
    I agree, Ireland has a quality backrow. I wasn't trying to degrade it one bit. Wales just also have a quality back row is what I'm trying to say, and I think it's also fair to say that Leamy has been a little off recently. If he plays well and they play well as a unit then we should outmatch them in too many areas of the pitch.

Leamy was sick, lost a stone while sick. Would expect he is back to normal now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X