X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lomu joins French club

<H1>Rugby: Lomu joins French club - report </H1>
    <H1>New 9:45PM Sunday Jun 28, 2009</H1>
    <H1>Former All Black Jonah Lomu is on the verge of signing with a third-division side in France.</H1>
    <H1>Marseille Vitrolles has announced on its website that they are close to finalising a transfer with the 34-year-old star whose career has been marked with incredible highs and lows.</H1>
    <H1>Lomu is quoted on the site as saying "I still feel the desire to play and it will be me alone who decides when to call it a day."</H1>
    <H1></H1>
    <H1>French rugby club Marseille signs Lomu</H1>
    <H1>June 28, 2009 - 7:49PM
    Former All Black Jonah Lomu is set to sign for French third division side Marseille Vitrolles, the club announced on its website.</H1>
    <H1>"Marseille Vitrolles is on the point of finalising the transfer of the greatest legend in world rugby," a club statement said.</H1>
    <H1>The 34-year-old Lomu exploded onto the international stage at the 1995 World Cup in South Africa and he went on to become a global superstar in the sport as it moved into the professional era.</H1>
    <H1>But after winning 63 caps for his country his top-flight career was cut short by a kidney illness that eventually required a transplant in July 2004.</H1>
    <H1>Subsequently he played for Welsh side Cardiff in 2005/2006 but without any great success after which he returned home to play for North Harbour.</H1>
    <H1>The Marseille Vitrolles website quoted Lomu as saying: "I took a sabbatical year to be at my pregnant partner's side and to fully enjoy this important moment in any man's life.</H1>
    <H1>"Everyone thought I had ended my playing career, but that was wrong. I still feel the desire to play and it will be me alone who decides when to call it a day.</H1>
    <H1>"My ambition is to help a club like Marseille join the group of top clubs in France."
    </H1>

Even from a crowd drawer perspective (depending onhow much they have to pay him) that may not be the worst business decision ever made by a club .... eqivalent of maybe a second division side signing him here ... Id hazard a guess if Lomu were playing, a DLSP v UCC game would have a larger than average gate.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Maybe he'll do a BOD on it!
      Looks like the club decided they needed a website as soon as they signed him.
      Right now they've just got an interview with Lomu. Not even a Club History page.

http://www.marseillevitrollesrugby.com/

Comment

Lomu - I'm fit and ready to play

Friday, 10 July 2009 20:44
        Former All Blacks winger Jonah Lomu said Friday that he is
        fit to resume his playing career with French third division
        side Marseille Vitrolles.

'I feel fine. I don't have any health problems, it's all in the
        past,' said the 34-year-old.

Lomu exploded onto the international stage at the 1995
        World Cup in South Africa and he went on to become a
        global superstar in the sport as it moved into the
        professional era.

But after winning 63 caps for his country his top-flight
        career was cut short by a kidney illness that eventually
        required a transplant in July 2004.

Subsequently he played for Welsh side Cardiff in
        2005/2006 but without any great success after which he
        returned home to play for North Harbour.

'Marseille is the only club I spoke to. I took the decision to
        come here two months ago. I was always being asked:
        "When are you coming to play in Europe?" Well, here I am.'

'I am bringing all my know-how and I hope to pass on this
        experience to the young players so that they can develop.
        It's great to be here, in a beautiful city like Marseille where
        I have only been twice.

'There are still a few things to sort out, but I hope to be
        here for a few years.'
        De do dat dare don't dey.

Comment

Originally posted by Simmental

professional era.

come here two months ago. <S&#079;NG>I was always being asked:
          "When are you coming to play in Europe?" Well, here I am.'</S&#079;NG>

I have only been twice.

here for a few years.'

Wales not in Europe anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by No.8

Originally posted by Simmental

professional era.

come here two months ago. <S&#079;NG>I was always being asked:
            "When are you coming to play in Europe?" Well, here I am.'</S&#079;NG>

I have only been twice.

here for a few years.'

Wales not in Europe anymore?

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Thursday, October 29, 2009
              Lomu 'in best physical condition ever' ahead of return

FORMER NEW Zealand international Jonah Lomu, once the most feared man in world rugby, says he is in the best shape ever before his long-awaited comeback.

The 34-year-old, who played 63 Tests for the All Blacks between 1994 and 2002 before his career was cut short by kidney disease, is set to return next month for French amateur side Marseille-Vitrolles.

“I’m stronger than I’ve ever been,” Lomu said yesterday after being unveiled by Japanese rugby officials as an ambassador for the 2019 World Cup.

“I’m running the 100 metres in 10.9, but I’m even more surprised by what I’m doing in weights. I can dead-lift 300 kilos with my eyes closed. I am beating my previous by a country mile. I’m in the best physical condition ever.

“I genuinely want to earn my spot at Marseille, but I could play as early as November,” added Lomu, who signed a three-year deal with the club last month.

“It just depends how quickly I can click with the players.”

A bulldozing winger, Lomu’s colossal performances at the World Cup in 1995 took rugby to a new level, highlighted by his four tries against England in the semi-final.

“When I play at my peak I get into a different zone,” said Lomu, who literally ran over England fullback Mike Catt for one of his scores in the match in Cape Town.

“I become a completely different person. I can’t really explain it. I’m so focused on what I have to do, you could be talking to me but you’d have to slap me to get my attention.

“It’s almost like you’re running, but you’re watching yourself while you’re running – like an outer body experience,” continued Lomu, who is in Tokyo to watch Saturday’s Bledisloe Cup match between the All Blacks and Australia.

“When you get to that sort of clarity in your mind and your mind is at peace and your soul is at peace with your body and all is in sync, it becomes a completely different experience.

“I’m a very spiritual person,” said Lomu. “I have faith in what I can do. It’s irrelevant what anyone else thinks or says.

“I do what I’ve got to do to get to where I need to get. You do see Mike Catt in front of you . . . but that’s what rugby is all about. It’s not tiddlywinks.

“If someone is in front of you and you have to go over the top of them, that’s the way the game goes.”

Lomu, who has his beloved All Blacks jersey number 11 tattooed on his chest, had a kidney transplant in 2004 and his weight ballooned to 142kg while he was away from rugby.

“In 1999 I was 118 kilos. I’m 116 now,” said the giant New Zealander, who attempted a comeback with Cardiff Blues and North Harbour before retiring from rugby in 2007.

“I’ve put in a lot of hard yards. But the proof is in the pudding when I actually play.”

Lomu, who has flirted with bodybuilding on his return to fitness, has not ruled out playing for the All Blacks again in the future.

“That is still a dream,” he insisted, having swapped his muscleman tanning lotion for a pinstripe suit. “You never lose the desire to play for your country.

“If they rang me up tomorrow and said we need a player, hey, I brought my boots with me!”

This article appears in the print edition of the Irish Times
              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Some of the claims he's coming out with are fairly amazing. If he's doing 100m in 10.9 that's incredible. Surely he shouldn't be playing against lads in French 3rd Div???
                \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by John123
                  Some of the claims he's coming out with are fairly amazing. If he's doing 100m in 10.9 that's incredible. Surely he shouldn't be playing against lads in French 3rd Div???

and a dead lift of 300kg, "with my eyes closed"!!! thats unbelievable stuff

Comment

Forget JDV lets get Lomu [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

What's the estimated increase for doing it with your eyes open? I think we should be told.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

What's the estimated increase for doing it with your eyes open? I think we should be told.

Yeah, if I was trying todeadlift 300 kilos I'm pretty sure my eyes would be closed as well....

Comment

Originally posted by buster
                          Originally posted by Balla Boy

Yeah, if I was trying todeadlift 300 kilos I'm pretty sure my eyes would be closed as well....

Don't know! But if he's suggesting he can do that no bother I wonder what his max is

Comment

He strength was his size and ability to move that frame so quickly.

If he's up to speed,at the same size and now even stronger then he should be a good signing.

He had trounle in Cardiff as he was nowhere near peak conditioning.

He was working with some British sprinter (or at least the oppertunity was offered) to try get up to speed again but it fell by the wayside.

Actually he should be treated like a theorum and always have Q.E.D. after his name.

Lomu + Speed = Try Q.E.D.
                            Stewie: We\'re playing house...
                            Lois: But that kid is all tied up!
                            Stewie: Roman Polanski\'s house.

Comment

God, all these Lomu rugby phases, reminds me of the Rocky movie collection.
                              Two pints please :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X