Ryle Nugent=verbal diarrhea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryle Nugent=verbal diarrhea

Im sure that Ryle is a nice person and all and this is nothing personal but how can there not be a better commentator for rugbythen ryle in RTE. He is just awful. He justdosent know the rules and gives the impression he has actually never played the game. Watch the beeb's commentry and RTE's analysis (more for entertainment theninsight) myself.Am I alone in being unable toenjoy a rugby match if he is commentating??

I usually turn off the commentary during the Six Nations - the Beeb have an interactive ref link option which is better fun.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Agree 100pc the quality of rugby commentary is artocious.Today there was no mention that the ref was playing penalty advantage when Goode drop kicked from 40 odd metres, the commentator was talking about a knock on when an English back ran into Tindall at one point (corrected by his sidekick) but for me at least the nadir was last night during the A game when the commentator repeatedly referred to the ball being 'overturned' as opposed to 'turned over'.Maybe it's just me but that really grates.In an environment where we (the taxpaying public) are vastly overpaying these muppets at RTE they can at least use the correct rugby vernacular.iirc Ryle did the France game and was marginally better than the guy who did the Wales game.

ps. A basic knowledge of the laws would be a useful addition to their overcompensated skillset.
      I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
      HL Mencken

Comment

Nearly all rugby commentators are rubbish. Jim Sherwin was was fine but got names wrong a lot.

A loada people rave about michael corcoran ,exciting yes, but i have absolutly no bloody idea what is actually happening and yes i know its radio

Comment

Bring back Fred Cogley
          I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
          HL Mencken

Comment

Agreed, they miss obvious knock-ons, forward passes (ryle mostly) etc which grates me, it shouldnt but they seem confused with the refs call aswell sometimes and get wound up about it.
            Please for the love of GOD remove George Hook aswell, he hasn't a clue. All controversy no substance.

Petition RTE to install Micheal Corcoran as chief rugby commentator.. [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit: Cogley brings a lively commentary on what is happening on the pitch but doesn't go apeshote on refs decisions and doesn't feel he needs to be always talking. Kindly lets the viewers enjoy the game

Comment

I honestly think Nugent is OK. Hamilton is painful though, as Eamo highlighted above. He couldn't understand why various penalties were being awarded. The man read the summary of rugby for dummies and jumped into the commentary box. Funny also how he mistaked Tindall for Vickery!
              Exaggerations went up by a million percent last year!!

Comment

i personally think michael corcoran at least deserves a go for one game at least. Does anyone actually know what ryle's rugby credentials are? I mean at ruck time he actually does not have a clue and only gets thepenalty the ref gave right 50% of the time

Comment

I wouldn't be so harsh about the rules - witness (Can't remember who exactly!) one of the Welsh players kicking out on the full after he got a ball back into his own 22.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Preemptive strike Fitz before the Rules/Laws nazis arrive. P
                    HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by g-spot

i personally think michael corcoran at least deserves a go for one game at least. Does anyone actually know what ryle's rugby credentials are? I mean at ruck time he actually does not have a clue and only gets thepenalty the ref gave right 50% of the time
                      Corcoran is always one step away from jumping into the match himself, reminds me of Tackleberrys father from Police academy. lol[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

I think he's ok. Listen to Setanta's commentators if you want to be put to sleep with theirmono-tone talking. Fred Cogley is the worst ever :D

Comment

Bah it's simply sacreligious to diss the great Fred C.We walked for miles in the snow to the nearest village to hear his nasal tones from the only TV from the only house in the village that had a TV.When the TV 's reception was poor we weren't sure if it was a signal issue or the fact that we were viewing it from outside through the windows as the snow fell (the space inside was limited to adults).

Mike Gibson was bald and Barry McGann took the kicks: thus they were recognisable: the rest were a confusion of pixels apart from Barry John who once per winter was guaranteed to ruin the hopes of a bunch of6 year olds.
                          HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Eamo
                            Bring back Fred Cogley

Fred is so bad that I was in a pub watching a ML match once and the sound was turned off too tremendous applause
                            Is it only a game?
                            And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

Today was the first day that Ryle really pissed me off. George Hamilton is far worse though. I would prefer to watch a game on a Welsh channel that listen to either of them again.
                              "This was the performance Ireland had been threatening all championship but had only managed to produce in fits and starts. Defeats at the hands of France and Wales had put paid to their title aspirations, never mind a Grand Slam, but yesterday’s emphatic 24-8 win shows that this is a team moving in the right direction."

The Irish Times after Ireland beat England at Lansdowne Road on 19/03/11

Comment

Working...
                              X