Easterby vs Best...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easterby vs Best...

As the Cardiff 6N opener approaches one or two Irish selection issues arefairly wide open due to recent form of certain players. Neil Bestwas an absolute certainty to start next month after the Australia game but seemed to be outplayed by Easterby yesterday (from the highlights i saw admittedly). Got a feeling EOS will go for Easterby here.

Best v Flannery: Unless Flannery starts against leicester and has an absolute stormer, EOS will have to go for Best. At least we'll impact off the bench if this is the case.

Hickie v Trimble: Trimble'sgone a bitquite of late and also has been thrown into the centre after a long time on the wing. Hickie has clearly been ingreat form for Leinster. This is the tightest call ithink but i can seeEOS sticking with Trimble for the Wales game.

What do ye reckon?

Easterby played very well on a winning team, Best was one of of maybe four players (Wilson, Bowe and R.Best being the others) who turned up for Ulster on Saturday. Easterby probably edged it therefore but personally i hope Best keeps his place as this excuse of an Ulster team isn't doing him any favours at the minute and i think if he was on the Ireland team we'd see him re-produce his Autumn form.

Trimble i'd leave on the bench, he'd make a good impact from the bench anyway, Hickie deserves to start.

If fit Flannery should start against Wales, if not Best will still do a good job.

Comment

Hickie should get the nod ahead of Trimble, his form is outstanding!!

I would play Best ahead of Easterby but then again both players are in outstanding form of late and its a really tight call.

On hooker I wouldnt agree with you on best...personally I think he is further down the pecking orderthan that. I would have Flanneryplaying and I would also give Bernard Jackman a run. He seems to have sorted out his line outthrowing and deserves a shot ahead of the WC perhaps against Italy when the match is already won.

Im wondering how bad are the injuries toPaddy Wallace and Humphries because we might have to call up Staunton for cover at fly half??

Comment

Originally posted by deise boy

I would also give Bernard Jackman a run.

Oh mother of God, I have heard it all now...
        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14

I would also give Bernard Jackman a run.

Oh mother of God, I have heard it all now...
          Crazy are u serious.. Jackman???
          To not give it everything, is to sacrifice the gift.

Comment

Hickie should get the nod ahead of Trimble, his form is outstanding!!

I would play Best ahead of Easterby but then again both players are in outstanding form of late and its a really tight call.

On hooker I wouldnt agree with you on best...personally I think he is further down the pecking orderthan that. I would have Flanneryplaying and I would also give Bernard Jackman a run. He seems to have sorted out his line outthrowing and deserves a shot ahead of the WC perhaps against Italy when the match is already won.

Im wondering how bad are the injuries toPaddy Wallace and Humphries because we might have to call up Staunton for cover at fly half??
            Easterby hasnt a hope ..one good match is no good enough
            He is off the pace for international rugby..he gets lost in game..shouldnt even make the bench

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil

As the Cardiff 6N opener approaches one or two Irish selection issues arefairly wide open due to recent form of certain players. Neil Bestwas an absolute certainty to start next month after the Australia game but seemed to be outplayed by Easterby yesterday (from the highlights i saw admittedly). Got a feeling EOS will go for Easterby here.

Best v Flannery: Unless Flannery starts against leicester and has an absolute stormer, EOS will have to go for Best. At least we'll impact off the bench if this is the case.

Hickie v Trimble: Trimble'sgone a bitquite of late and also has been thrown into the centre after a long time on the wing. Hickie has clearly been ingreat form for Leinster. This is the tightest call ithink but i can seeEOS sticking with Trimble for the Wales game.

What do ye reckon?
              ya hard luck for flannery but he is in a different class than Best so Should get the nod for the second game and onwards

Comment

Paddy wallace is injured? Is it bad?
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

FOCK, jackman? Are you serious? Ha!

Posted a similar thread of uafc just few minutes ago. Think easterby taught Bestie a lesson in the subtle arts of rugby. Neil was his usual demonic self though handling erros that have blighted his games over the last month were again evident though the weather couldn't have been much worse. Don't agree Easterby is off the pace, and as much as it pains me to say this i think Easterby will start.

TrimblevHickie, same observations. trimble has played well and shown his undoubted class when he;s got the ball with abit of space unfortunately for him the ulster backline have been pedestrian since the toulouse game which won't have portrayed him in a good light. Hard call for eddie, i think that on form though it could go hickies way.

BestvFla-If Flan starts next week and plays well i'd say he could start otherwise Best will. They are head and shoulders ahead of any other hookers in ireland at the moment.

Also wondered about BossvReddin for the bench spot ans Bracken V B.Young, i think both Ulster boys will edge past the wasps though.

Comment

As it stands right Hickie is better than Trimble and should start over him, different kind of player but he brings morefor now (just about). I could seeing him causing a lot of damage coming on with twenty minutes left and defences tiring a bit.

Best should probably start over Easterby, this one is up for grabs but Best would be unlucky to lose on the basis of one game. Now that Ulster are out he may find chances to show his class are rare. He better be outstanding the minute he puts on a green jersey, anything less than his top game and hes in trouble. Easterby has been a good performer over the years, people should not equate loss of place through loss of injury (coupled with NB putting his hand up)with loss of place through loss of form.

Flannery is a better player but he has to prove he is capable of doing it for the full 80. If he starts anddoes the jobagainst Leicester then Id pencil him in.

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
                      Paddy wallace is injured? Is it bad?
                      He got hit by a nasty high tackle by Alex Popham after about 20 mins. He looked a bit shaken up afterwards and went off 5 mins later. Don't think it's anything long lasting.

Comment

Did he look concussed?

Comment

HOLY GOD ITS A TIME WARP NO WE HAVE TO GO FORWARD

Best is a dynamic! ball carrier![img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]great fasttackler and good on the ground,which is whatis needed in the modern game,what just look at the try he scored against new zealand no chance easterby would score that,

easterby has a better rugby brain at this point,it will be a step backwards for the team i believe he is chosen over best, but EOS loves the oldies

flannery needs at least one full high tempo game in which he plays very well but EOS will prob go foe best if he does not i will be suprised

Trimble although not playing his best is the man for me, he combines the strength to break 2/3 tackles with speed and has a ok step bascially he is a fantastic centre that can play on the wing like horgan [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]and you can see the impact he can have on a match (still aint my fav though)

hickie has a much better step but he lacks the power [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]to break throughplayers at speed he is a fleet of foot player

Comment

I reckon Best should still start ahead of Easterby but only just. If he doesn't reproduce his Autumn form in the first match of the 6N he should be dropped to the bench cos Easterby is back to top form now and will be rearing to go.

Hickie deserves to start ahead of Trimble. He's combining brilliantly with his Leinster colleagues at the moment and his kicking game is a veryhandy extra. Trimble will make a great impact sub though.

R Best to start unless Fla plays out of his skin for a full 80 minutes this weekend.

Jackman wasgood against Edinburgh and his throwing was the best I've seen it but he has to do it consistently over the next 6 months if he's to evenbe considered for a squad place for the RWC. He's always been good in the loose but I'm still unconvinced about the rest of his game.

Comment

The thought of Jackman throwing into an Irish lineout in Cardiff is going to give me nightmares.

Comment

Working...
                              X