GAA and rugby tickets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAA and rugby tickets

I was in a pub not so long ago when I was approached by a man offering me the chance to win two tickets plus a nights accom in Dublin for the IrevFra game. Naturally enough I was interested and asked him what charity he was collecting for. It was then he informed me that he was representing his local GAA club, who (in his words) had come into some tickets. I promptly refused his offer.

Now excuse me if I am mistaken. But as I understand it the IRFU is paying the GAA a tidy sum for the use of Croke Park. No doubt there was a deal done on tickets as well. What ticked me off was the fact that representives of the GAA are using tickets to make even more money.

I must point out I am not a GAA hater - and maybe I am being stupid....
    \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Originally posted by thisyear?

Well don't write posts that suspiously sound like you are.

As for GAA clubs having tickets ? So what. My local club invested in a hospitality box when Croke Park was being redeveloped. Under the terms of the purchase they are entitled to the tickets or should they refuse them to keep you happy ?

Comment

Definitely another for Joe Duffy TBH. Anyone got his email?

Comment

Originally posted by CardiffMatt

As for GAA clubs having tickets ? So what. My local club invested in a hospitality box when Croke Park was being redeveloped. Under the terms of the purchase they are entitled to the tickets or should they refuse them to keep you happy ?

Only those with corporate boxes and premium level seats were offered tickets. The GAA got no other tickets

Comment

he may have "come into"those tickets perfectly normally aswell.a gaa club memeber might also be a member of the local rugby club and got them that way
          g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
          -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
          -thomas sowell

Comment

Originally posted by thecoolfreak

Only those with corporate boxes and premium level seats were offered tickets. The GAA got no other tickets

Did I say otherwise ?

Comment

Originally posted by thecoolfreak

Did I say otherwise ?

No i was just backing up your point!

Comment

GAA premium seats are owned in many cases by GAA clubs and presumably by people who are members of GAA clubs. They have the right to buy their tickets for the 6 nations.

In plenty of cases they are auctioning them and raffling them for their GAA club. in other cases they are selling them to touts and pocketing the proceeds. It's part of the deal re Croke Park and nothing can be done.

Comment

His GAA club may have had a few 10 year CP tickets, if that was the case they were entitled to an option to purchase tickets.

Comment

I have no problem with GAA supporters/clubs using tickets for their own personal use. I just believe that they should not profit from it. Again correct me if I am wrong but usually one of the terms and conditions on the back of a ticket states that they may not be used as a prize or part of a raffle etc...

Comment

I have no problem with GAA supporters/clubs using tickets for their own personal use. I just believe that they should not profit from it. Again correct me if I am wrong but usually one of the terms and conditions on the back of a ticket states that they may not be used as a prize or part of a raffle etc...

And rugby clubs adhere to that law religiously...right-o. The chicken and chips in a basket, the guest speaker and the pint of warm beer really did cost 500 lids !

You didn't finish the sentance either...the etc. you put in usually includes wording along the lines 'unless expressly authourised in writing'. How do you know they didn't go down this route and everything is above board ?

You are missing the point though. The GAA clubs and GAA supporters who had the option to buy tickets also had to pay the best part of 10,000 / 100,000 euros for their seats and boxes and then pay the costs of tickets on top of that. Basically a debenture. If they are willing to put up the money and have no interest in the game then of course they should profit from it. Money back for the club to invest in the youth section is better than leaving empty seats...which they paid a lot of money for...

Comment

I have no problem with GAA supporters/clubs using tickets for their own personal use. @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">I just believe that they should not profit from it@@@@/SPAN>. Again correct me if I am wrong but usually one of the terms and conditions on the back of a ticket states that they may not be used as a prize or part of a raffle etc...
                        GAA clubs hold raffles to raise money to cover their running costs and maintain/improve their facilities. Cars, TV's, holidays etc. are raffled on a regular basis. What is so sacred about rugby tickets? Chances are that the club has plenty of rugby fans as members anyway.
                        Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

[QUOTE=CardiffMatt]

And rugby clubs adhere to that law religiously...right-o. The chicken and chips in a basket, the guest speaker and the pint of warm beer really did cost 500 lids ! where did I say rugby clubs don't do it - But I'd imagine there would be war if the shoe was on the other foot and rugby clubs were profiting from All Ireland Final tickets

You didn't finish the sentance either...the etc. you put in usually includes wording along the lines 'unless expressly authourised in writing'. How do you know they didn't go down this route and everything is above board ? because I asked him to prove this and he was unable to do so

Comment

First time you've mentioned that you 'asked' him to prove it.

Also, All Ireland finals tend not to be played at Lansdowne Road where rugby clubs have similar debentures...

Comment

where did I say rugby clubs don't do it - But I'd imagine there would be war if the shoe was on the other foot and rugby clubs were profiting from All Ireland Final tickets

Only if it was in Landsdowne road or another rugby ground, which is highly unlike [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X