Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touts in the news

Touts fleece rugby fans with €300 tickets on eBay

THE fleecing of Irish rugby fans anxious for tickets to see historic Croke Park games is under way, with English touts selling terrace tickets at 10 times their face value.

Rugby authorities here have yet to issue tickets to the four provinces for the Six Nations game against England on February 24. But six terrace tickets for the Ireland/England clash have already been bought on eBay for the asking price of almost €350 each, a huge mark-up on the €30 face value.

"Tickets have been issued to the branches and clubs for the French game but not for the English game," IRFU press officer Karl Richardson said yesterday. "The visiting unions would have their tickets for the French and English games but none have been issued to the provinces here yet."

One of the sellers on eBay is based in Newcastle and has 10 terrace tickets for sale at almost €350 each. Another vendor based in London was asking for over €600 for a terrace ticket, although no bids had been placed. "They are fairly exorbitant prices and we wouldn't be asking anybody to pay them. This really to the detriment of the Irish rugby fan," Mr Richardson said. "I know people are anxious to get to a game that is obviously going to be a very big occasion - both games, in fact. But it's very unfair on the website auctions for tickets to be put up like that."

Tickets for the England game will be issued to the provinces and on to the clubs in the next fortnight, and are expected to become the hottest tickets in town.

The first rugby game at the GAA stadium will be played against France two weeks earlier, but the IRFU said yesterday that it could trace its tickets if they were placed on auction websites.

"We have done it in the past - we did it for the last Heineken Cup game between Leinster and Munster when tickets were going for large amounts," Mr Richardson said.

"In some of the cases we can identify the tickets, and then we can chase them back to province and on to individual. At that stage, we ask them to be taken down from the website or we will take further action."

It is not just Ireland's games at Croke Park that have sparked a bidding frenzy. Tickets for the Six Nations game against Italy in Rome on St Patrick's Day are going for twice their face value.

And the World Cup quarter final at Cardiff, which is to take place in nine months time, - has fetched bids of over €300 for a pair of tickets.

Jason O'Brien

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

So touts will make sure they dont advertise the number on the ticket so the only way the IRFU can catch them is if they actually buy the tickets which I cant see them doing
    \"Golf is a game for c**ts\" Ronnie Drew

Comment

Originally posted by ECSquared
      So touts will make sure they dont advertise the number on the ticket so the only way the IRFU can catch them is if they actually buy the tickets which I cant see them doing

They've done so in the past apparently. What I can't see them doing is punishing the source of the ticket as the WRU and RFU have done in recent years - would be a bit hypocritical seeing as they turn a blind eye to clubs flogging tickets with a lunch for over the odds prices.

Fairly stupid article TBH - where is it from McCloud, the Indo?? "shock horror - EBay has rugby tickets for sale at astronomical prices". Must have been a slow news day.
      \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

The only way to sort this is by sabotaging the bids. My bet is nobody will bother though.

Comment

Yup the indo. Like this statement "In some of the cases we can identify the tickets, and then we can chase them back to province and on to individual. At that stage, we ask them to be taken down from the website or we will take further action." I'd say it must send a shiver down the spine of the touts[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I did a spot of sabotaging on ebay for the Munster V Leinster Semi much to the outrage and horror of the majority of posters on this forum, I remember a post from some lad called Leo Carreleus telling me what a child I was for hating touts etc. Wont bother again. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it's the right bloody thing to do, in relation to munster match i'll do my best to piss off the touts as they are killing the chance of the normal joe soap of going to a game

Comment

Originally posted by SkibRed
                I did a spot of sabotaging on ebay for the Munster V Leinster Semi much to the outrage and horror of the majority of posters on this forum, I remember a post from some lad called Leo Carreleus telling me what a child I was for hating touts etc. Wont bother again. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
                That Leo guy is long gone thankfully.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Skibred did you get my txt. I purchased the French tickets this morning and haven't forgotten you
                  Con Artist

Comment

As far as I'm aware the GAA used to have a spot in the match programme for some matches in Croke Park where you could write in the number of any tickets which had been bought from touts. These could then be traced back to the person who was originally issued with the ticket. Let the IRFU decide on the appropriate action then. Ideally anyone who knowingly sells tickets to touts should never receive a ticket again.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia
                      Skibred did you get my txt. I purchased the French tickets this morning and haven't forgotten you
                      I did thanks Valencia. You have a PM [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X