• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfit Wallabies sent home

Four Wallabies fail fitness

Thursday January 04 2007

Home they go
    During the Wallabies' training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra, four of the 47 failed fitness tests on the first day and will go home.

The fitness tests measured core strength, running and strength.

The four are Mark Gerrard, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Lote Tuqiri and Morgan Turinui who failed "to meet the required fitness levels during the camp".

Coach John Connolly said: “We set some standards for this camp at the end of the Spring Tour and the four players have been sent home for failing to meet those standards.

“They will resume training with their Super 14 teams tomorrow to start fitness programs."

Connolly expressed the hope that taking strong action against the four players would send a strong message to those hoping to make the World Cup side.

He said: “Players were told at the start of the camp that if they were unable to meet certain standards they would be removed from the camp.

“We have very limited time available to us for physical preparation before the World Cup and this camp was to give us a platform from which to build on for the rest of the year."

The remaining squad of 43 players will complete the final day of the three-day camp on Friday.

This may well not help Tuqiri in his attempt to negotiate a bigger pay packet from the Australian Rugby Union.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Gerrard and Turinui looked noticeably overweight in T.P.

Their outsized asses made J Lo's fabled caboose look positively slim [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

I assumed this was a leinster thread. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

I assumed this was a leinster thread. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

So did I !!! [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

The fitness tests measured core strength, running and strength.

The four are Mark Gerrard, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Lote Tuqiri and Morgan Turinui who failed "to meet the required fitness levels during the camp".

Interestingly thatthey are allpolynesians.

Comment

They may all be polynesians, but Tuquiri is the only one who wasn't born in Sydney. And Gerrard is only 1/4 Poly.

Comment

Stamina an issue for Polynesians?
              Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
              Munster: Early Season
              Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
              Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
              Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Polynesians do traditionally have quite a high fat/high protein diet. But I don't see that that's particularly relevant - they're professional sportsmen. And, as noted, Gerrard is less polynesian than Sean Og O Hailpin.

The fact that Americans have an obesity crisis doesn't stop their sportsmen from being fit, does it?
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Good to see the right message being sent out by the coach anyway - it says a lot for Australia's prospects in the next year if a sizeable number of players can't even be bothered to turn up with the requisite fitness level. Ridiculous carry-on [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

(I like the way there may or may not be requisite levels of Polynesianness [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img])
                  For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

always noticed that fijians by and large tend to be taller and more graceful runners than the tongans and fijians,who tend to be more powerful and bulky.

guys like bobo tend to be a dime a dozen in fiji.caucau is just tubby!
                    g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                    -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                    -thomas sowell

Comment

always noticed that fijians by and large tend to be taller and more graceful runners than the tongans and fijians,who tend to be more powerful and bulky.

guys like bobo tend to be a dime a dozen in fiji.caucau is just tubby!
                      g\'wan bruff!!

``The answer is not heavy- handed regulations that crush the entrepreneurial spirit and risk- taking of American capitalism. That\'s what\'s made our economy great.\"
                      -Barack Obama

\"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics\"
                      -thomas sowell

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Polynesians do traditionally have quite a high fat/high protein diet. But I don't see that that's particularly relevant - they're professional sportsmen. And, as noted, Gerrard is less polynesian than Sean Og O Hailpin.

The fact that Americans have an obesity crisis doesn't stop their sportsmen from being fit, does it?
                        I was thinking more along the lines of whether their muscle type (fast twitch muscles or some such?) means they're more suited to short but quick bursts and stamina being harder to build.
                        Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                        Munster: Early Season
                        Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                        Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                        Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

planetrugby

Australia coach John Connolly has defended his decision to send home four players from a Wallabies training camp earlier this week for failing fitness tests.

<DIV ="inlineads"><!-
                          if (OAS_listpos.indexOf('2') >@@@@SPAN id=intelliTXT>Waratahs trio Lote Tuqiri, Morgan Turinui and Tatafu Polota-Nau and Brumbies winger Mark Gerrard, were sent home on the first morning of the camp after failing to pass a running endurance exercise.</DIV>
                          The stumbling block for the four players was an endurance sprint session involving 20 repetitions over 50m and another 20 over 100m. Turinui managed the distance but outside the allotted time, while the others failed to complete the task.
                          "As for sending these four home, there's no point in setting standards unless you're going to do something about it when people do not reach the mark," Connolly told Australia's<EM nd="4">Daily Telegraph[/i].
                          "We told them what would happen at the start of the camp if they didn't reach their targets in testing. They would be sent home straight away, and that's what happened."
                          Connolly re-iterated that the World Cup was only ten months away and the team needed to be focused as a unit if Australia are to be competitive at the tournament.
                          "I've said it before, we need to tighten up as a team and this is all part of that," he said.
                          "I know it's a long time until the tournament [in September-October] and these guys have a lot of football to play between now and then
                          "But we don't want to be starting a World Cup year behind the eight-ball."
                          Gerrard, meanwhile, admitted the sending home was justified, but also explained the reason he could not complete the running task was not due to a sore back.
                          "This is a kick in the pants and I've got to get cracking over the next couple of weeks to prepare for Super 14," Gerrard said.
                          "But at 16 or 17 hundreds I started to fall apart. My back seized up and I just couldn't keep going."
                          Turinui admitted to having an extended holiday after the Wallabies' European tour but said he was confident of getting back into Connolly's good books during the Super 14 season.
                          "It's not the best start to the year but it's the first day back from holidays for me and I have got a month of pre-season to get myself right for Super 14," he said.
                          "That's what the Test side is going to be judged on, form in the Super 14. I will be ready to go by then."
                          @@@@/SPAN>

Comment

Well one of them is supposed to be looking for the door out of union anyway so I wonder if that played a part in his state?

Comment

One assumes you mean Lote?

Comment

Working...
                              X