Stephen Jones - Unbalanced back row?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen Jones - Unbalanced back row?

Stephen Jones thinks we have an unbalanced back row. Correct me if I'm wrong but was he not drooling over the Ireland back row only 6 weeks ago?

He thinks if England resort to a power game in Croke Park they could and should win!!!

I know Dunphy is a wum but I cant figure out what Jones is up to and what his agenda is?

SJ is the Saddam of sports journalism, laughable to the outside world

Comment

We also have an "under manned line-out". Someone tell England. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
      Munster: Early Season
      Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
      Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
      Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Seeing Cathal's signature makes me think SJ's catchphrase should be "It is not enough thatEngl*nd succeed, everyoneelse (espcecially the micks) must fail

Comment

Take no notice of SJ! He's only looking to be noticed.

Comment

a power game against leamy wallace and best?

best laugh ive had in years

If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Where did he say this?If its a newspaper article can you post it?
              Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Already posted on another thread, but here goes anyway ...

English game must plug into its power base

Stephen Jones

Forget fanciful calls for free-running rugby. It’s time for England to revert to forward values

AT SOME point in the past few years, seemingly it became morally and politically incorrect for England to play rugby based squarely on power. English rugby as a whole, especially the national team and the Guinness Premiership, is now routinely derided, even by Englishmen, for its attrition and physicality, ignoring the frequent shafts of delightful skill the Premiership throws up. Confidence tricks are always worse when you play them on yourself.

The effect of this ludicrous philosophy is that the English are no longer allowed to play to their traditional strengths; England, battered by the entreaties of their own coaches and grandees, and by the scoffing of other nations, have for some time been trying to metamorphosise, to play what is variously called heads-up rugby, attacking rugby, rugby off the cuff. In tandem with this has come the equally silly idea that for this style you need to select callow young men.

And always we are being encouraged by modernisers to see players of wonderful, front-on physicality such as Andrew Sheridan, Ben Kay, Duncan Bell, Julian White, Steve Thompson, Simon Shaw, Ayoola Erinle, Mike Tindall and Joe Worsley as a race who should have sailed off on the ark. How inconvenient Worsley and Tindall made life for their critics with the powerful vibrancy of their play on Boxing Day in the Wasps-Gloucester match.

You may have noticed that Sir Clive Woodward has his critics, but I can tell you three things about the England team this autumn, even denuded by injury, if Woodward had been in charge. They would have been older, more powerful and they would have won three of their four games. Above all, they would have tapped into historical strengths and not embarrassing non-rolling mauls.

Why are England embarking on the path of delusion, seduced by new-age muddle? The
                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

he's probably right, they don't have a lot of time to re-organise their game an up your jumper style game is probaby one they would be very very good at. In the Autumn they were shocking when trying to make moves in the backline, you could see the forwards getting totally pissed off with them when they handed them territory on a plate.
                  Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Uncle Tom, how are ya ?

Comment

I'm alright, I'm feeling good, it's the New Year Point, the clocks ticking
                      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
                        I'm alright, I'm feeling good, it's the New Year Point, the clocks ticking

No baby yet Harry?

Comment

not yet paddy, weds is the day, its all booked at this stage. I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior
                            They can witter about expanding their game, laud the Irish structure, (though even the RFU could organise a structure with only three teams in it), laud the Irish backs, give English youth its head — and lose by a hatful. Or they can remember who they are, select the big and the mean, try to beast Ireland’s feeble scrum and weak scrum-half and undermanned lineout and unbalanced back row, unashamedly, grimly, up the middle.
                            Paste it to the wall boys....our scrum is not the best, but
                            I dont think England(or any English team) can take it....undermanned lineout?WTF?[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]mmmm,hilarious to see them in the state they are in. I hope we thump they this year, but we never really do.....
                            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
                              not yet paddy, weds is the day, its all booked at this stage. I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] All the best, hope everythink goes to plan

Comment

Working...
                              X