X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ugby-world-cup

fair play to you Cheika..

Michael Cheika to quit if Wallabies don't win Rugby World Cup

Unless the Wallabies come home with the Rugby World Cup next year, they'll return without a coach.

Coach Michael Cheika says everything he has done since taking the reins in 2014 has been with the aim of winning the William Webb Ellis Cup in 2019.

"The way I see it is like this: we came second in the last one and you have got to improve," Cheika told News Corp Australia on Wednesday.
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Jesus those Aussie coaches have more gob than the lads selling hats, scarfs and gloves outside the Aviva ...
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

"Gitya Webb Ellis Cups here ..."
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Good man Cheiks. I'm following his lead and if I don't get "meeting expectations" in my performance appraisal I'm going to quit too (before they sack me)

Comment

"Six Nations B" continues this weekend. Last 3 games being played over next 3 weeks. Spain sitting in the Europe 1 RWC position (would be in Ireland's group), 1 point ahead of Romania who would go into the playoff v Samoa (winner also in Ireland's group). Both travel to Georgia, Spain will need to match Romania's results in terms of MP to hold onto the spot. Spain - GERMANY (H) Belgium (A). Romania - RUSSIA (H) and BELGIUM (H).

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcyamiYv8g&app=
              Looks like Romania for us in 2019

Comment

Originally posted by GERL DAVIES View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcyamiYv8g&app=
                Looks like Romania for us in 2019
                Could be hearing quite a bit more about this game in the following days. An all-Romanian officiating team was appointed by Rugby Europe for a match that Spain needed to win to qualify automatically for the RWC and knock Romania into the the Repechage. Penalty count was massively in Belgium's favour (ratio of 8:1) resulting in an 18-10 win for Belgium.

None of which excuses the behaviour of some of the Spanish players after the match, chasing the ref off the pitch. Was only the action of some of the Belgian players which prevented it from escalating into something much worse. I'd say there'll be some lengthy bans coming up for some.

Spain can still qualify if they defeat Portugal and then Samoa in two-legged qualifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                  Could be hearing quite a bit more about this game in the following days. An all-Romanian officiating team was appointed by Rugby Europe for a match that Spain needed to win to qualify automatically for the RWC and knock Romania into the the Repechage. Penalty count was massively in Belgium's favour (ratio of 8:1) resulting in an 18-10 win for Belgium.

None of which excuses the behaviour of some of the Spanish players after the match, chasing the ref off the pitch. Was only the action of some of the Belgian players which prevented it from escalating into something much worse. I'd say there'll be some lengthy bans coming up for some.

Spain can still qualify if they defeat Portugal and then Samoa in two-legged qualifiers.
                  Saw the game. Probably the most biased refereeing performance I have ever seen. And I have seen Berdos ref us multiple times.
                  Not sure there is any way to get the game to be replayed but it should be if any kind of justice is to be served.
                  Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

That's one of the most scandalous things I've ever seen. He wasn't even trying to be fair. I wouldn't usually condone any sort of scenes like those at the end, bit this was an absolute farce.

World Rugby need to investigate this.

Edit some "highlights"

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                      That's one of the most scandalous things I've ever seen. He wasn't even trying to be fair. I wouldn't usually condone any sort of scenes like those at the end, bit this was an absolute farce.

World Rugby need to investigate this.

Edit some "highlights"

I find it hard to see how this won't lead to a match fixing investigation. World Rugby while not directly responsible could take a major hit reputationally if Interpol get involved. A strong case for a governing body fixing a game here which must have World Rugby worried.

Comment

I attended the game in Brussels, didn't know until afterwards that the officials (as well as the head of Rugby Europe) were all Romanian.

During the game myself and other neutrals around me were completely bemused by the bizarre referee calls, it was obvious to anyone with a basic knowledge of rugby that something was very awry.

It's such a shame because it really sets back the development and expansion of rugby in Europe. Spanish supporters were talking of arranging a protest at the ERCC final in Bilbao, they have every right to be furious.

Comment

World Rugby are now investigating "the context of events". Reassuring for everyone.
                          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                            World Rugby are now investigating "the context of events". Reassuring for everyone.
                            How come the Spanish are dressed like a Romanian outfit?
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Because their usual Jersey is red which clashes with Belgium who also wear red so they had to change. Yellow is the other colour in their flag.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                                How come the Spanish are dressed like a Romanian outfit?
                                It was a clever ploy to get on the ref's good side

Comment

Working...
                                X