Australia
    Wales
    Georgia
    Oceania 1
    Americas 2
    Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by tmunster View Post
      great Draw for us and the Scots must be delighted too.
      I bet the Japs aren't to disappointed either.........
      Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

im not sure japan is a great team to have in pool, they will have a lot of support. it SHOULDN'T matter but you never know
        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Big monkey on Ireland's backs - we've never got past a quarter-final. At least we've got a decent chance of getting that far, but nothing to be taken for granted.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

is it winner pool a v runner up pool b? or is that to be decided?
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
              im not sure japan is a great team to have in pool, they will have a lot of support. it SHOULDN'T matter but you never know
              I agree and I'm actually more wary of the Japenees then Scotland. I've the feeling that the Scots are currently peeking but it might be to soon. Also the colapse of Glasgow this year shows that Townsend is not a magician.

Overall looking at the pool we can't complain. Ending first in the pool would increase our chances to continue after the QF but than you never know with Ireland.

Comment

Can't find any info on that.

Comment

the last three world cups have been A/B and C/D for quarters so id imagine its the same so tough quarter final regardless

Comment

That's what happened the last time.

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                    Can't find any info on that.
                    Me neither.

If it follows previous tournaments, 1A will play 2B with the winners of that meeting the winners of 1C v 2D in the Semi-Final.

Similarly, 1B will play 2A and the winners of that playing 1D or 2C in the other Semi-Final.

If the Pools go according to their seedings we'll have Ireland/South Africa v England/Wales in one SF and New Zealand/Scotland v Australia/France in the other.

Comment

has to be viewed as good draw. Go out with the right attitude, the right team selections and we should top this pool without question.
                      Biggest danger is Japan, host nation cant be taken for granted.
                      Still there's a light I hold before me
                      You're the measure of my dreams
                      The measure of my dreams.

Comment

It is an excellent draw. In the last three world cups our failure to reach a semi-final has been in part due a lack of squad depth/ trust in squad depth and a hugely attritional game in the pool stages (Australia in 2011, France last time). As a result we were not at our best in the quarter-finals in terms of players injured or tired. Our player welfare program is the right one but doesn't best prepare the players for the non-stop pressure of the world cup.
                        By 2019 we should have very good depth in the squad to allow proper rotation and while Scotland and Japan shouldn't be underestimated they won't present the massive physical challenge that we have had to overcome in the pool stages in the past. It is hard to know what condition South Africa will be in 2019 (if they are indeed our quarter-final opponents) but we will not fear them I think

Comment

Good draw but Japan will be a worry. They'll attack us with pace and creativity which Schmidt teams seemingly don't like and they'll have the whole country behind them.

Comment

Any ideas who Europe 1 and play-off winner are likely to be? I assume Europe 1 will be Romania/Russia?

Comment

Is it me or is the group the best possible outcome for Japan? :_plotting__by_bad_b

Comment

Romania are top of the Rugby Europe Championship despite an early round loss to Germany and with a home game to Russia in 2018 to come they are a warm order to be Europe 1. If Spain can beat Romania in Spain, and then go to Russia and win - they then become favorites. Russia lost to both Spain and Romania in the first round of games so they look likely to go the play-off route.

I wonder if they make Ireland v Japan the opening game?
                                Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 10th-May-2017, 10:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X