2019 RWC draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    Does it set a bad precedent considering the circumstances of appointment of ref who shouldnt have been appointed?
    Do you think this is the first time a contentious referee was appointed?

What do people think should happen here?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
      Do you think this is the first time a contentious referee was appointed?

What do people think should happen here?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
      There's no question of a Tier 1 match being replayed - ever. That's not how these things work. The old boys network at rugby's top table wouldn't stand for it.

Romania and Spain is another matter though.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Belgium and Spain.

Comment

Murray Kinsella:

Rugby Europe has banned five Spain players for their actions after the Belgium defeat.

Guillaume Rouet: 36 weeks
          Sébastien Rouet: 43 weeks
          Pierre Barthère: 14 weeks
          Lucas Guillaume: 14 weeks
          Mathieu Belie: 14 weeks

Sanctions apply to club and national rugby, players have right to appeal.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

German Rugby Union reporting that Spain, Romania and Belgium have been deducted points for fielding ineligible players and are out of RWC 2019. Russia qualify automatically, going into Ireland's group with Germany and Portugal playing off to face Samoa. The winner of the Samoa playoff game will also go into Ireland's group.

Comment

Also face fines. Spain and Belgium £25k per player - 2 & 5 respectively.

Romania £100k for one (bigger fine as they have a seat at some sort of council).

Comment

Good that this is finally resolved. Not the most glorious day for the RWC though :(
                Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Somebody will have to brush up on their Russian so as to read the line-out calls (joking)

Comment

Really bad for World Rugby
                    "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Anyone else feel uneasy that it's Russia....I still expected them to win the Eurovision even though they had been knocked out at the semi final stage:_innocent__rvmp_by_

Comment

So turns out Belgium had played 5 ineligible players over the 2017/18 Rugby Europe Championship which partly doubled up as the RWC 2019 qualifying event. All 5 had Belgian great grandparents, but not grandparents so could not play. They were fined £25,000/player.

Spain had 2 players who had been "captured". One played for France 20s v Wales 20s in 2008 and one in the same game in 2012. France and Wales were using the 20s as their next senior side in those years. They were also fined £25,000/player.

Romania had 1 player who had been "captured". Had previously played for the Tongan 7s side. They were fined £100,000/player as they are on the World Rugby Council.

Romania appealing on the basis that they followed all the correct procedures including contacting the Tonga Union (whose chairman is the father of Mako and Billy Vunipola) and being told that the player in question was free to play for Romania.
                        Last edited by neill_m; 16th-May-2018, 09:49.

Comment

and no replay of the Belgium - Spain farce (which I witnessed first hand)

It's a joke, if Rugby is serious about growing outside of the core nations it needs to take a very hard look at itself, the fines alone are crippling for developing associations.

Spain especially are hugely hard done by in this.

Comment

In this day and age when absolutely everything is digitized it is a shocking indictment that players can be unclear as to whether or not they are eligible to play international rugby. Surely it is not beyond the wit and capacity of world rugby to maintain a database of players who have been "captured" and ensure that they are not on the teamsheets of other nations subsequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Murillo View Post
                              and no replay of the Belgium - Spain farce (which I witnessed first hand)

It's a joke, if Rugby is serious about growing outside of the core nations it needs to take a very hard look at itself, the fines alone are crippling for developing associations.

Spain especially are hugely hard done by in this.
                              WR simply need to take responsibility and take over. The way the tier 2 unions are run is a farce. For example, I know from a few minutes research that the entire board of the Polish union is invalid. Several breaches of own constitution require a complete re-vote, but on they go. Should not have amateur players or administrators near a RWC.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                                In this day and age when absolutely everything is digitized it is a shocking indictment that players can be unclear as to whether or not they are eligible to play international rugby. Surely it is not beyond the wit and capacity of world rugby to maintain a database of players who have been "captured" and ensure that they are not on the teamsheets of other nations subsequently.

Given that I had to register with the RFU to run out onto a pitch in a public park in Battersea, you'd imagine the relevant data has been submitted somewhere along the line. Even bottom rung English teams have to register their players, have people cup tied etc.

That should all be feeding into one system, but that would be too rational I'd imagine.
                                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                                X