World Cup 2019 23

Mcgrath cronin furlong
    Hendo ???
    Pom Van der flier Stander
    Murray jj
    Zebo mccloskey henshaw kelleher
    Olding

Cronin Casey moore toner Marmion madigan ringrose Steve fitzgerald

We really need a second row to come through.

Healy Strauss Moore
    Toner Henderson
    POM SOB Heaslip
    Murray Sexton
    Fitzgerald Henshaw Payne D.Kearney
    R.Kearney

McGrath Cronin Furlong Mick Kearney Ruddock Luke McGrath Madigan McFadden

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
      Healy Strauss Moore
      Toner Henderson
      POM SOB Heaslip
      Murray Sexton
      Fitzgerald Henshaw Payne D.Kearney
      R.Kearney

McGrath Cronin Furlong Mick Kearney Ruddock Luke McGrath Madigan McFadden
      Lel

Comment

McGrath/Kilcoyne Byrne/Casey Furlong/White
        Henderson/Foley/Madigan
        POM/JOD/VDF/Ruddock/Stander
        Murray/McGrath
        R.Byrne/Hanrahan
        McCloskey/Henshaw/Ringrose/
        Zebo/Dardis/Olding/S.Fitzgerald
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Heenan Bundee Aki will be and the tight head from ulster.

Comment

I know some people hate these threads and I find it pretty hard to speculate that far ahead however I've got this nagging feeling that we missed an opportunity this time and I'm not sure the playing stocks will be as good in four years time. With that in mind, I thought it might be an average idea to look at the current squad and try and see who will still be available in four years (given their current age profile) and see if amongst us we can fill in the gaps with some talented young players;

LH: Healy (32), McGrath (30)
            H: Cronin (33), Strauss (33)
            TH: Moore (28), Furlong (26)
            SR: Toner (33), Henderson (27), Foley (31)
            6: O'Mahony (30), Ruddock (28)
            7: O'Brien (32), O'Donnell (32)
            8: Murphy (28), Conan (27)
            SH: Murray (30)
            OH: Jackson (27), Madigan (30)
            12: Henshaw (26)
            13: Earls (32)
            Back Three: Zebo (29), Fitzgerald (32), D.Kearney (32)

I've deliberately left out anyone 34 or over. Sexton will be 34 and ordinarily you would say that he'd be still good enough at 34 but we've yet to see how his injuries will pan out so I've excluded him. Donnacha Ryan will be 35, but a part of me thinks he could be a cornerstone of Munster and ireland for the next 2-4 years if he can get an injury free run.

There are also a number of current fringe players that I've left out (Kilcoyne, Olding etc) for the purpose of the debate. These are guys who are firmly on the radar now but due to injury/other options have not been included in current squad.

What players do you think will come through to supplement/supplant the incumbents above? Are there any really talented young players that will come through and be the Robbie Henshaw/Ian Henderson's of 2019? Who will be our 'go-to' men in 2019? Our leaders? Our O'Connell, Sexton, Best, O'Brien etc?

Comment

Unless O'Connell does a Matfield and Sexton and Healy somehow sort out their injury-proneness, we're going to have a team with less top-end quality in 2019. On the other hand, I think the clear trend over the past 5-10 years - in spite of our reserves not being up to scratch against Argentina - has been a general improvement in the general level of our players.

I think we'll be more like England and France in that we have a very good average standard and, if we get our development right and a bit of luck, might have a couple of genuine world class talents, and that could take us a long way. Far too early to make that call though.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                Unless O'Connell does a Matfield and Sexton and Healy somehow sort out their injury-proneness, we're going to have a team with less top-end quality in 2019. On the other hand, I think the clear trend over the past 5-10 years - in spite of our reserves not being up to scratch against Argentina - has been a general improvement in the general level of our players.

I think we'll be more like England and France in that we have a very good average standard and, if we get our development right and a bit of luck, might have a couple of genuine world class talents, and that could take us a long way. Far too early to make that call though.
                Of the players listed above, I think the following will end up/still be in the top bracket by 2019;

Healy
                Henderson
                O'Mahony
                O'Brien (if injuries haven't ruined him)
                Murray
                Henshaw

Add in the possibility of Moore, Jackson and Zebo maybe reaching the top level.

If that was to come to pass then we would need players to come through in these positions; hooker, second row, number 8, outside centre, full back and wing.

Comment

Plenty of time to worry about 2019 nearer the time. Trying to get the provinces functioning and winning six nations should be the priority. I don't think it is possible for a NH team to win the RWC unless they are a side as exceptional as the England one of 2003, and they only just scraped over the line. The NH teams are at a massive disadvantage because of the number of games played, the nature of the competitions and the fact that the NH players do not get anything like the Rest and Recuperation the SH players do. If the SH say that is a whinge, so be it, but as long as it continues the IRFU are correct to leave the RWC low down on their list of priorities.

Comment

I wonder will it rain for the final
                    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                      Plenty of time to worry about 2019 nearer the time. Trying to get the provinces functioning and winning six nations should be the priority. I don't think it is possible for a NH team to win the RWC unless they are a side as exceptional as the England one of 2003, and they only just scraped over the line. The NH teams are at a massive disadvantage because of the number of games played, the nature of the competitions and the fact that the NH players do not get anything like the Rest and Recuperation the SH players do. If the SH say that is a whinge, so be it, but as long as it continues the IRFU are correct to leave the RWC low down on their list of priorities.
                      As fans there is plenty of time to worry about all that...and 2019!

Re: England 2003 - Keith Wood asked Lawrence Dallaglio how England would have gone at the time without Neil Back, Richard Hill, Martin Johnson, Johnny Sexton and Will Greenwood. Apparently he didn't know how to respond. Pretty instructive I think.

Comment

Quinlan posted his team & squad for the 2019 RWC in the Independent today.

1 Jack McGrath (Denis Buckley, Peter Dooley)
                        2 Niall Scannell (Rob Herring)
                        3 Wiehahn Herbst (Tadhg Furlong, Marty Moore)
                        4 Devin Toner (Ross Molony)
                        5 Iain Henderson (Ultan Dillane)
                        6 POM (Jordi Murphy, Eoin McKeon)
                        7 SOB (Josh Van der Flier, James Connolly)
                        8 CJ Stander (Jack Conan, Jack O'Donoghue)
                        9 C Murray (Luke McGrath, Kieran Marmion)
                        10 Paddy Jackson (JJ Hanrahan, Jack Carty)
                        11 Gerhard van den Heever (Rory Scholes)
                        12 R Henshaw (Stuart McCloskey, Ian Madigan)
                        13 Garry Ringrose (Stuart Olding, Sam Arnold)
                        14 Stephen Fitzgerald (Jacob Stockdale)
                        15 Simon Zebo (Billy Dardis, Darragh Leader)

He proceeds to explain that he believes Keith Earls (32), Sexton (34) and Rob Kearney (33) will be "too old" while both hookers Cronin and Strauss will be overtaken by Niall Scannell.
                        He mentions Bleyendaal also as a possibility for 10.

Comment

He's basically just picked a load of academy prospects of which, history shows us, many never even make the grade at professional level, let alone international. Completely pointless throwing in the likes of Dillane, Dardis and Stockdale.

Comment

Of course he's picking academy prospects, he's trying to predict who look the most likely to make the breakthrough. Dardis and co. have looked good so far.

Trying to predict who will make the breakthrough in 4 years time ain't easy
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I'd say it's just downright pointless. I appreciate he was probably asked to write it by some eejit editor, but that doesn't make it any more of a sensible exercise.

Comment

Working...
                              X