Ireland v's Italy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland v's Italy

Well after 2 easy warm-up games it comes down to the hardest warm-up game before the big one. We need to get a 5 point bonus point win in this game ideally in order to give us the benefit of a draw getting us top place in the group.

Team I think should be picked.

McGrath, Best, Ross
    Henderson, Toner
    POM, Henry, SOB
    Murray, Sexton
    Zebo, Luke, Henshaw, Kearney
    R Kearney

Healy, Cronin, White, POC, Murphy, Reddan, Madigan, Bowe

If Rob Kearney isn't fit then Zebo to fullback, Bowe onto the wing and Earls/Jackson onto the bench

Earls/Heaslip/Payne have started 2 games already so give them a rest. Give POC also a breather before he is required for all games going forward. See how Henshaw goes at 13 to potentially give more attacking thrust.

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    Well after 2 easy warm-up games it comes down to the hardest warm-up game before the big one. We need to get a 5 point bonus point win in this game ideally in order to give us the benefit of a draw getting us top place in the group.

Team I think should be picked.

McGrath, Best, Ross
    Henderson, Toner
    POM, Henry, SOB
    Murray, Sexton
    Zebo, Luke, Henshaw, Kearney
    R Kearney

Healy, Cronin, White, POC, Murphy, Reddan, Madigan, Bowe

If Rob Kearney isn't fit then Zebo to fullback, Bowe onto the wing and Earls/Jackson onto the bench

Earls/Heaslip/Payne have started 2 games already so give them a rest. Give POC also a breather before he is required for all games going forward. See how Henshaw goes at 13 to potentially give more attacking thrust.
    I wouldn't fancy being the man to tell Paulie he was getting a breather for the second week in a row! I'd also go Luke/Payne for the first half and then Henshaw/Earls or Cave for the second. There's no chance he'll change both Henshaw and Payne at this stage but it would be good to see some options.

Comment

Originally posted by diarm View Post
      I wouldn't fancy being the man to tell Paulie he was getting a breather for the second week in a row! I'd also go Luke/Payne for the first half and then Henshaw/Earls or Cave for the second. There's no chance he'll change both Henshaw and Payne at this stage but it would be good to see some options.
      In relation to Payne I don't think you can play him 80 mins again this week and potentially for the next 4 weeks afterwards. Same with POC. If we are to win this competition (and it's a big if) we'll need POC firing on all cylinders for the France/Arg/Wales or Aus or Eng/NZ games. I don't think he can play at full speed for 5 weeks in a row.

Comment

As above
        Good Luck telling Paulie that.......

Comment

In relation to Payne I don't think you can play him 80 mins again this week and potentially for the next 4 weeks afterwards. Same with POC. If we are to win this competition (and it's a big if) we'll need POC firing on all cylinders for the France/Arg/Wales or Aus or Eng/NZ games. I don't think he can play at full speed for 5 weeks in a row.
          Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying Luke/Payne for 40 minutes and Henshaw/Earls for 40 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by diarm View Post
            Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was saying Luke/Payne for 40 minutes and Henshaw/Earls for 40 minutes.
            How can you make 2 switches in the centre unless Luke/Earls play 40 mins on the wing also? That means Earls playing all 3 games before the French game also though which I would try to avoid and also reduces D Kearney/Bowe/Zebo's chances to play on the wing

Comment

How can you make 2 switches in the centre unless Luke/Earls play 40 mins on the wing also? That means Earls playing all 3 games before the French game also though which I would try to avoid and also reduces D Kearney/Bowe/Zebo's chances to play on the wing
              Fair point. I hadn't thought this through.

Comment

POC played the 80min of every game for 6Ns (as well as for the Autumn Internationals last year). It was usually Toner who was taken off knackered.

Comment

Fingers crossed Paulie will have 5 more starts for Ireland. Should the game be safe against anyone he can be minded, but Italy is full strength, IMHO. Personally I think that includes Earls, Bowe and Zebo starting.

Comment

Strongest 23 available. Italy mightn't be world beaters but this is the World Cup and there's plenty time for O'Connell to be resting when he's brushing up on his French. It has to be full throttle from here on out.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

It's a hapless Italian outfit.

Turkey-shoot beckons. Our tournament starts on October 11.

What we will know is the first choice team for JS. I expect there to be ructions here later in the week as one Munster outside back misses out.
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                        It's a hapless Italian outfit.

Turkey-shoot beckons. Our tournament starts on October 11.

What we will know is the first choice team for JS. I expect there to be ructions here later in the week as one Munster outside back misses out.
                        Dangerous, dangerous, sentiments.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetwinger View Post
                          Dangerous, dangerous, sentiments.
                          If we can't beat that Italian side with a bit to spare we deserve to go home.

They are rubbish. A lot of players over the hill and the younger ones aren't up to it.
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                            If we can't beat that Italian side with a bit to spare we deserve to go home.

They are rubbish. A lot of players over the hill and the younger ones aren't up to it.
                            South Africa and England would have won the games they lost more often than not. Upsets happen, and the way they happen is teams going into games thinking they've already won. You're right, we should have more than enough to beat Italy, but every game from here on should be approached as a knock-out in my opinion.

Plus my ex-girlfriend is Italian so it's very important to me that we hockey them.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetwinger View Post
                              South Africa and England would have won the games they lost more often than not. Upsets happen, and the way they happen is teams going into games thinking they've already won. You're right, we should have more than enough to beat Italy, but every game from here on should be approached as a knock-out in my opinion.

Plus my ex-girlfriend is Italian so it's very important to me that we hockey them.
                              Italy don't score tries and have a 50% goal-kicker. If the game was based on rucks and mauls they'd be world class. Since it's based on scoring they are a desperately limited outfit.

Comment

Working...
                              X