Pool D (our pool) Discussion Thread Ire-Fra-Ita-Can-Rom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool D (our pool) Discussion Thread Ire-Fra-Ita-Can-Rom

Italy's Rugby World Cup squad: Matias Aguero, Martin Castrogiovanni, Dario Chistolini, Lorenzo Cittadini, Michele Rizzo, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Davide Giazzon, Andrea Manici, Valerio Bernabo, Joshua Furno, Marco Fuser, Quintin Geldenhuys, Mauro Bergamasco, Francesco Minto, Sergio Parisse (c), Samuela Vunisa, Alessandro Zanni, Edoardo Gori, Guglielmo Palazzani, Marcello Violi, Tommaso Allan, Carlo Canna, Tommaso Benvenuti, Michele Campagnaro, Angelo Esposito, Gonzalo Garcia, Andrea Masi, Luke McLean, Luca Morisi, Leonardo Sarto, Giovanbattista Venditti

Mauro Bergamasco will compete in his fifth World Cup for the Azzurri as Sergio Parisse captains the side in England.

The squad is split with 17 forwards and 14 backs with 16 of the group participating in their first ever Rugby World Cup.
    I am the million man.

Scrapping the barrel bringing Mauro, His not been at his best for a good while. A class player in the past but probably in the squad for experience more than anything.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Agree Benji and I'm not sure its the squad to cause an upset, but in cup rugby you never know! They are playing the French in Twickenham on the opening weekend - if ever there was a time to roar for the Azzurri!!
      I am the million man.

Comment

France squad:
        Forwards: Guilhem Guirado (Toulon), Benjamin Kayser (Clermont), Dimitri Szarzewski (Racing Metro); Uini Atonio (La Rochelle), Eddy Ben Arous (Racing Metro), Vincent Debaty (Clermont), Nicolas Mas (Montpellier), Rabah Slimani (Stade Francais); Alexandre Flanquart (Stade Francais), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Pascal Pape (Stade Francais); Damien Chouly (Clermont), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse), Bernard Le Roux (Racing Metro), Yannick Nyanga (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Louis Picamoles (Toulouse).
        Backs: Rory Kockott (Castres), Morgan Parra (Clermont), Sebastien Tillous-Borde (Toulon); Frederic Michalak (Toulon), Remi Tales (Racing Metro); Mathieu Bastareaud (Toulon), Alexandre Dumoulin (Racing Metro), Gael Fickou (Toulouse), Wesley Fofana (Clermont); Sofiane Guitoune (Bordeaux-Begles), Yoann Huget (Toulouse), Noa Nakaitaci (Clermont); Brice Dulin (Racing Metro), Scott Spedding (Clermont).

Comment

I thought Vahaamahina and Trinh - Duc would make it. Here's hoping to play Tillous - Borde and Michalak against Ireland.
          He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Canada's squad

Tyler Ardron, Ray Barkwill, Brett Beukeboom, Nick Blevins, Connor Braid, Hubert Buydens, Aaron Carpenter, Jamie Cudmore, Nanyak Dala, Matt Evans, Kyle Gilmour, Jeff Hassler, Ciaran Hearn, Nathan Hirayama, Harry Jones, Phil Mack, Jamie Mackenzie, Phil Mackenzie, Jason Marshall, Gordon McRorie, John Moonlight, Evan Olmstead, Benoit Piffero, Djustice Sears-Duru, Jebb Sinclair, Richard Thorpe, Andrew Tiedemann, Conor Trainor, Liam Underwood, DTH van der Merwe, Doug Wooldridge.

Comment

Originally posted by frombrittany View Post
              Canada's squad

Tyler Ardron, Ray Barkwill, Brett Beukeboom, Nick Blevins, Connor Braid, Hubert Buydens, Aaron Carpenter, Jamie Cudmore, Nanyak Dala, Matt Evans, Kyle Gilmour, Jeff Hassler, Ciaran Hearn, Nathan Hirayama, Harry Jones, Phil Mack, Jamie Mackenzie, Phil Mackenzie, Jason Marshall, Gordon McRorie, John Moonlight, Evan Olmstead, Benoit Piffero, Djustice Sears-Duru, Jebb Sinclair, Richard Thorpe, Andrew Tiedemann, Conor Trainor, Liam Underwood, DTH van der Merwe, Doug Wooldridge.
              Just watched the highlights of Canada-USA on rugbydump. My word, the standard of rugby looked awful! Even the passing: SH was struggling to spin off his left side. Ireland should take these boys to the cleaners in a big way

Comment

Originally posted by limerickstag View Post
                Just watched the highlights of Canada-USA on rugbydump. My word, the standard of rugby looked awful! Even the passing: SH was struggling to spin off his left side. Ireland should take these boys to the cleaners in a big way
                Pro's v amateurs.

Accrington Stanley v Man Utd

Hardly breaking news
                I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                  Pro's v amateurs.

Accrington Stanley v Man Utd

Hardly breaking news
                  USA and Canada both have a smattering of pros playing at the highest club level (e.g., DTH, Manu Samoa) hence why I'm surprised. You would expect amateurs to be able to pass off both sides.

Shame that one can no longer express (inoffensive) opinions here without being derided
                  Last edited by limerickstag; 26th-August-2015, 11:46.

Comment

USA and Canada both have a smattering of pros playing at the highest club level (e.g., DTH, Manu Samoa) hence why I'm surprised. You would expect amateurs to be able to pass off both sides.

Shame that one can no longer express (inoffensive) opinions here without being derided
                    Jeff Hassler scored a great try in the G12 playoff last season too!

I havent seen them play in a long time but the Canadian results lately have been brutal, well below the expected from them.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

There are some decent to good players in both the US and Canadian sides but those that aren't in that particular bracket are nearly at the opposite end of the spectrum. As Limerickstag says you'd expect amateurs to be able to pass off their left handily enough, you'd expect AIL scrumhalves to be able to do that ffs.

It also goes without saying we have previously struggled with these 'plucky amateurs' in RWC tournaments e.g. Georgia 2007, USA 2011 etc.

Comment

I'm disappointed that Enrico Palazzo didn't make the Italian Squad.
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Not deriding anyone but...

Plenty of multi capped internationals can't pass off both hands properly

Fergus Mc Fadden and Andrew Trimble being two. Kevin Maggs and Rob Henderson weren't much good at it either. AS the game has become more gym orientated the skills haven't improved hugely.

Joe Schimdt had to re-educate the Leinster players to pass properly when he first came in so I don't think it's that surprising that lesser nations struggle.
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                            I'm disappointed that Enrico Palazzo didn't make the Italian Squad.
                            Ah well.
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
                              There are some decent to good players in both the US and Canadian sides but those that aren't in that particular bracket are nearly at the opposite end of the spectrum. As Limerickstag says you'd expect amateurs to be able to pass off their left handily enough, you'd expect AIL scrumhalves to be able to do that ffs.

It also goes without saying we have previously struggled with these 'plucky amateurs' in RWC tournaments e.g. Georgia 2007, USA 2011 etc.
                              Most Club rugby played in Canada, other than in Vancouver and Victoria would struggle to be at AIL 2B level. There are a few teams sprinkled around the country that might compete at 2A but the biggest problem they face is getting meaningful competition. With all areas of the country playing rugby in the summer (except in SW British Columbia) there is yet another problem, that being the vast array of summer pastimes available that take athletes away from rugby. If there are two or three really good teams in Ontario and two more in Alberta they will almost never play against each other due to distance and cost of travel. To overcome this they have a 'representative' competition in the early part of the summer that takes all the good players from those few strong clubs , thereby diluting the quality of club rugby even further.
                              In the 70's and 80's a good few Canadian clubs could compete with the like of Irish senior clubs such as Con, Clontarf or Lansdowne. Now that would be extremely rare. Matches with James Bay, Vancouver Rowing Club, UBC, Calgary Irish, Ottawa Irish, Toronto Wanderers, Toronto Irish Canadians and senior Irish clubs were all competitive; now they'd be slaughters.

Comment

Working...
                              X