• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian media groups opt out of covering World Cup

Australian media groups opt out of covering Rugby World Cup

Amanda Meade
    Mon, Jun 22, 2015, 16:58
    News Corp Australia, Fairfax Media and Australian Associated Press will not seek accreditation for 2015’s Rugby World Cup in England because of what they say are unreasonable restrictions.
    After months of negotiations the print media have been unable to reach agreement with the governing body, World Rugby, about the amount of video they can use on their digital platforms and placement of advertising in video packages.
    As a result, the code’s premier tournament will be officially shunned by all the main print outlets – including the Sydney Morning Herald, the Herald Sun and the Australian – with none sending accredited journalists or photographers to cover the matches.
    more - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...-cup-1.2258837

That is pretty significant. There will not be many people at the stadia either.

Comment

Seems no one told the organisers that there is a rescission going on....
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
        That is pretty significant. There will not be many people at the stadia either.
        For the life of me I don't understand what is going on with the ticket sales. It may not be scientific, but I only know one person who has tickets for a game and even he had them bought for him, he wouldn't have bought them himself because they are miles too expensive. Who has bought all the tickets? Is it all down to Touts?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
          For the life of me I don't understand what is going on with the ticket sales. It may not be scientific, but I only know one person who has tickets for a game and even he had them bought for him, he wouldn't have bought them himself because they are miles too expensive. Who has bought all the tickets? Is it all down to Touts?
          It's the ultimate corporate tournament!
          I know of 4 people who have tickets for games. All coming through tournament sponsors. I don't know anybody who has actually bought tickets!

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.

Comment

The recession shouldn't be effecting the elite they want supporting rugby. Us riff raff shouldn't soil their seats.
            They should be learning the lessons the IRFU learned the hard way with their November series cock-ups 2(?) years ago. Empty stadia is not what they want and they'll face some backlash in the event they try a fire sale to shift the rest of them.

Looks like the "RFU" are destroying rugby in more ways than in European competition.
            The problem with this world is there are too many snakes... and not enough Ladders!
            Originally posted by joconnell
            If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
              It's the ultimate corporate tournament!
              I know of 4 people who have tickets for games. All coming through tournament sponsors. I don't know anybody who has actually bought tickets!
              For me, it was a choice between buying a ticket to one of Ireland's World Cup games or renewing my MRSC season ticket, which meant it was no choice at all.

Comment

Most ticket sales will be to people in Britain (ie dont need travel arrangements) , I presume the early sales are at the highest price - the prices will presumably fall or for different category of tickets(cheaper) nearer to kick off when the cheaper tickets will then be picked up by the 'locals'.

But as suggested above - sales 'policy' looks to be shambolic and prices far too high even for the non competitive(the majority of ) games.
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by at henry View Post
                  For me, it was a choice between buying a ticket to one of Ireland's World Cup games or renewing my MRSC season ticket, which meant it was no choice at all.
                  13 games v 1 game. It's a no brainer.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                  RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                    13 games v 1 game. It's a no brainer.
                    Exactly.

Comment

A sign more that professional rugby is on a bad dangerous way. Looks more and more like a pretentious speculative bubble, with exploding budgets, huge rights to the image etc etc. Time will maybe come to trim down...
                      "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

They need to make money as NZ lost them money iirc.

Though the prices are just loo laa. 250stg to see Ireland v France?

Gwan out of that.

(I have tickets for the Romania and Italian games, and even then the cat B were extortionate).
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Its like the Olympics . ..those ticket prices were disgusting tbh.

Comment

Working...
                          X