Ireland at the RWC 2015 Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diarm View Post
    And your reasoning is lobsided because large parts of the world cup, particularly Ireland reaching a Semi Final, won't be determined by South Africa playing New Zealand, or by anyone traveling to Argentina.

It will be determined among games between those sides above, played in England.

You are overrating the current Argentina side I feel. Their figures above are boosted by 4 games against Uruguay x2, Chile and Paraguay. Without those 4 games they would have an 11% win rate.

They've lost multiple games to Ireland, Scotland, South Africa and NZ in the last 2 years. They also lost to England, Wales and Australia.
    They won 3 away games of note - twice in Italy and once against the same French side that went on to lose handily against Wales, Ireland and England in the 6N. They did beat Australia at home in a dead rubber at the end of the 2014 Rugby Championship.

Wasting your time kid. Outlaws goalposts are now on a fully automated track.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
      If Argentina can beat France in Paris . They can beat us too. We don't win too many matches in Cape Town or Dunedin either. However according to most here it's a cakewalk in the waiting .
      Again, it's a good job we're not playing any world cup games in Cape Town or Dunedin. The difference is that we win the occasional match in Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham and indeed Argentina as well.

Argentina could beat us. Doesn't mean they are definitely going to. I reckon we'd be favourites if that game happened and the bookies agree with me (Ireland 8/11 to make a semi with Argentina 12-1). You seem to think Argentina would be favourites because they beat a poor French side.

That's fine as an opinion but you are putting words into people mouths.

People are expressing optimism and hope about our chances of doing well and you're dousing it in pessimism. Again, that's fine, but when people question you on it, don't twist their hope into some sort of arrogance or overconfidence. Nobody in their right mind thinks Ireland are favourites for the cup, just that we belong in the group of 3 or 4 that could win it if New Zealand do not.

Comment

This could be a watershed tournament for our nation, if they can cast off the shackles of 'occasion' and history and just make every game just a game. It's our biggest impediment as a country, but hopefully they can rattle all the cages
        I am the million man.

Comment

Ireland are 3rd favourites (being in the easier half of the draw) to get to the final at 15/8.
          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
            We dont have a specific thread for the team and the competition. I read this article on the times page a moment ago, is it me or is the language in it difficult to read?:
            It's overwritten and badly-written like much of the IT rugby output. IT rugby writers, with the exception of Andy McGeady, aren't really there for their writing ability. Toland and Quinlan aren't great technical writers, obviously, but they're very good at making clear points which a few of their more esteemed colleagues could learn from.

Comment

Its nothing to do with a I told you so post the event. I think there is unrealistic expectations out there at present without people actually looking at the results. If the tournament was in Ireland I'd give us a great chance of winning it.

But we're no great shakes away from home even under JS. There is a hugely dismissive attitude towards Argentina as well.
              Is there not a small part of you that thinks this team has the capacity to learn from failure? I mean we were fortunate not to finish dead last two years ago, and now we're back to back champions, regardless of two painful away losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                This could be a watershed tournament for our nation, if they can cast off the shackles of 'occasion' and history and just make every game just a game. It's our biggest impediment as a country, but hopefully they can rattle all the cages
                Will be, Cowboy, will be.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

We lost both crunch away games in Wales and England are were a pass away from losing in Paris.
                  IIRC correctly we lost to England in Twickers by 3points and lost in Wales by 7pts. So we were well at the races albeit not winners but, even so, in both those years we emerged on top as the champions of Europe. So though we were not perfect by your standards, we performed better than any of our opponents could manage.

IMHO, the game against Scotland (in Murrayfield), where typically we could have expected Ireland of the past to struggle, we performed efficiently and clinically. Two words I'd've never used to describe an ireland performance in the past.

We may not be world beaters but if we perform to our ranking, and no guarantees there of course, we'll be beaten semi finalists.
                  But it's not impossible, or even improbable as the bookies odds point out. And ass the stats show we've been consistently at the races, losing even those crunch games by just a score. I'm sure that's no escaped the attention of Joe & Co either.

If we reach a semi then we'd need a lot of luck, for sure, but so would our opponents.

It's possible of course that this group of players has peaked already and the last Six Nations title was the high point. But it's also possible that they have not peaked, which is why we'll all be watching the games and hoping that all the things you need to go your way to win this tournament will fall into place, the hard work, the performances, the injuries, the draw and the luck.

It can happen.
                  Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by diarm View Post
                    Again, it's a good job we're not playing any world cup games in Cape Town or Dunedin. The difference is that we win the occasional match in Edinburgh, Cardiff, Twickenham and indeed Argentina as well.

Argentina could beat us. Doesn't mean they are definitely going to. I reckon we'd be favourites if that game happened and the bookies agree with me (Ireland 8/11 to make a semi with Argentina 12-1). You seem to think Argentina would be favourites because they beat a poor French side.

That's fine as an opinion but you are putting words into people mouths.

People are expressing optimism and hope about our chances of doing well and you're dousing it in pessimism. Again, that's fine, but when people question you on it, don't twist their hope into some sort of arrogance or overconfidence. Nobody in their right mind thinks Ireland are favourites for the cup, just that we belong in the group of 3 or 4 that could win it if New Zealand do not.
                    You can't twist losing crunch games away from home.
                    If that's your version of dousing pessimism I'd hate to see what qualifies as optimism. The facts are we aren't as good when outside the Aviva under JS. When I see some clear evidence of that improving then I'll agree with you.
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

You can't twist losing crunch games away from home.
                      If that's your version of dousing pessimism I'd hate to see what qualifies as optimism. The facts are we aren't as good when outside the Aviva under JS. When I see some clear evidence of that improving then I'll agree with you.
                      To quote Mr Houlihan:

Now, read on.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Making a semi final could come down to nerves. 85 - 90% kickers are vital in the WC. Sexton has had a case of the yips both this season and last season when under big pressure. That and how he's looked after throughout the tournament will be everything. Sexton needs an openside who'll cover him and try keep his defensive work to a minimum.
                        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                          Making a semi final could come down to nerves. 85 - 90% kickers are vital in the WC. Sexton has had a case of the yips both this season and last season when under big pressure. That and how he's looked after throughout the tournament will be everything. Sexton needs an openside who'll cover him and try keep his defensive work to a minimum.
                          A case of Where's Wally? I don't think so.
                          This'll be The Seanie and Jonny show, not Wally & ROG.
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I thought the squad (advance training) was to be named today; has that changed?

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                              A case of Where's Wally? I don't think so.
                              This'll be The Seanie and Jonny show, not Wally & ROG.
                              SOB is a makeshift 7. Henry is the same. You need someone with the pace to cover off the line - outs and scrums. TOD is the only one with the ability but I don't he'll get picked.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                                SOB is a makeshift 7. Henry is the same. You need someone with the pace to cover off the line - outs and scrums. TOD is the only one with the ability but I don't he'll get picked.
                                I agree Jonny's well-being is paramount but doubt we'll be as dependent on his kicking of goals as we were on ROG.
                                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                                X