Ireland at the RWC 2015 Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
    Is that why Heaslip wears white boots. Out on the wing and nowhere near a ruck to get cited.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
      And in Johnson, Hill, Dayglo, Wilkinson, Greenwood, Robinson etc having a rake of best in the world in their position players. Lord Bald's coaching ability was more clearly demonstrated in NZ in 2005.
      I think that Lord Bald was more of an excellent facilitator/details man than an actual coach. He was basicaly management 101-surround yourself with good people. The Lions was a fiasco because his way was not compatible with a short tour like that. It was just never going to work, 44 man touring party was madness. I am sure he regrets ever taking that gig, ruined his rugby coaching creditentials IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
        Have we actually flopped under Joe's tutelage? I know we've lost games but apart from the very first game against Australia, I can't recall a game where we just didn't show up, like that Wales RWC QF.

Maybe I'm wrong, Remind me. But even when we've lost we've been at the races.
        To be honest I thought our performance against Wales in the 6Ns this year was similar to that QF. They were prepared for our gameplan and we had nothing else to offer. We bashed away but we looked clueless when plan A didn't work. That was a flop imo.

Comment

Originally posted by diarm View Post
          I'd say you're right. I think Joe has removed the emotion or to a certain extent, the pressure from individual players.

Whereas in years gone by, in the build up to a game players have been thinking about "what it will mean beat these" or "I need to give 150% on Saturday" etc., under Joe the focus is entirely on "these are the individual tasks I have to execute in this game. These are my responsibilities".

It means there is less room for choking, complacency or inconsistency. Every player is drilled with his duties and knows that his place in the team depends on him fulfilling them, no matter whether we're playing Italy or New Zealand. He's not thinking about the big picture because he's totally focused on his instructions.
          We ain't beaten anyone of note outside the Aviva under JS bar a narrow win in Paris.

People forget that. We aren't anything as formidable when playing away from home.

Never have been. A bit like NZ never winning a WC in the NH.

I just have this nagging feeling when it came to la crunche in Cardiff this year and Twickers last year we lost.

And that despite all the drilling in of game-plans. It's that drilling in of game-plans that is our achilles heel when we don't perform.

Because we don't seem to have an ability to chase a game in my opinion.

Ireland have to produce 5 games in a row of near perfection to win the WC. In others words a Grand Slam season.

We've won the GS twice in our history. And in this tournament we'll likely to have to beat better sides then is in the 6 Nations.

I think it's stretching the faith to think winning it is achievable.

It's not achievable in my opinion
          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            We ain't beaten anyone of note outside the Aviva under JS bar a narrow win in Paris.

People forget that. We aren't anything as formidable when playing away from home.

I just have this nagging feeling when it came to la crunche in Cardiff this year and Twickers last year we lost.

And that despite all the drilling in of game-plans. It's that drilling in of game-plans that is our achilles heel when we don't perform.

Ireland have to produce 5 games in a row of near perfection to win the WC. In others words a Grand Slam season.

We've won the GS twice in our history. And in this tournament we'll likely to have to beat better sides then is in the 6 Nations.

Even Outlaws reap the benefits of a good stretch.
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I agree, I don't think joe or this team are the messiah, to be realistic contenders we needed to win on Wales.
              having said that if a group comes down to points difference we will be fine.
              Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

To be fair, we've played 3 games of note away from home since Joe took over. We won one of them and lost the other 2 by a score or less. I'm not suggesting we won't lose games occasionally, even NZ don't win every match and they have a far stronger pool of players than we do.

It's easy to say winning the world cup is not achievable because the odds are we won't win it and you'll be able to say I told you so. In reality, we are one of a few of teams with the ability to go very far in the tournament if we perform at our best. We are not quite one of the couple of teams who will go very far in the tournament regardless, but it is a cup competition. If we make a semi-final, the bounce of a ball or a piece of inspiration could get us all the way. Far stranger things have happened in sport than a team ranked 3rd in the world, on the back of a 10 match/12 month winning streak, winning a world cup.

I'm looking forward to the tournament with a bit of hope. I expect us to reach a semi and then I just want to see us give a good account of ourselves there. If they give it everything they've got and come up short, so be it.

Comment

To be fair, we've played 3 games of note away from home since Joe took over. We won one of them and lost the other 2 by a score or less. I'm not suggesting we won't lose games occasionally, even NZ don't win every match and they have a far stronger pool of players than we do.

It's easy to say winning the world cup is not achievable because the odds are we won't win it and you'll be able to say I told you so. In reality, we are one of a few of teams with the ability to go very far in the tournament if we perform at our best. We are not quite one of the couple of teams who will go very far in the tournament regardless, but it is a cup competition. If we make a semi-final, the bounce of a ball or a piece of inspiration could get us all the way. Far stranger things have happened in sport than a team ranked 3rd in the world, on the back of a 10 match/12 month winning streak, winning a world cup.

I'm looking forward to the tournament with a bit of hope. I expect us to reach a semi and then I just want to see us give a good account of ourselves there. If they give it everything they've got and come up short, so be it.
                  Its nothing to do with a I told you so post the event. I think there is unrealistic expectations out there at present without people actually looking at the results. If the tournament was in Ireland I'd give us a great chance of winning it.

But we're no great shakes away from home even under JS. There is a hugely dismissive attitude towards Argentina as well.
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

I think going 12 points down through our own dumbness, impetuosity in Cardiff left a mountain to be climbed. I wouldn't be in the 'we will top the pool' mindset either. This French side will open up on somebody and I would say we are their main target to avoid the Kiwis.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

I caant wait for the World cup. What has pissed me off is the price of the tickets and the mad prices that people are charging for hotels. Sure We would do the same ourselves if it was in Dublin.
                      I'd expect accomodation to free up closer to the time when people start cancelling.

How will we do? That very much depends on how we get on with injuries and form of the players. Lads will get injured and it will be a tough one for some players. Some players will for whatever reason not be in form. Do we have the players to replace them?
                      France like us will be missing some players also but they have a bigger pool of players. Its being played in Cardiff which should help us. If all our big guns are available then we could win. They are all cup games after that.

I think the selection for the build up games will be interesting. I'd say he will have Ringrose training with them. Will he do enough to be considered ?
                      Buckley and Marmion from Connacht are two that could make the squad.
                      When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Its nothing to do with a I told you so post the event. I think there is unrealistic expectations out there at present without people actually looking at the results. If the tournament was in Ireland I'd give us a great chance of winning it.

But we're no great shakes away from home even under JS. There is a hugely dismissive attitude towards Argentina as well.
                        I had a free hour this evening so I went through the results since Schmidt took over Ireland to see if your claims that we are so poor away from home held up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 23.05.15.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2485730

I don't think they do. We have the 2nd best Win% rate by a distance from SA with the 4th best Home Win% alongside Australia and a fair distance from NZ and SA.

For Away Win% we are 2nd best, well ahead of South Africa. Our Away% is better than Wales' Home% and comparable to Englands, the two teams who will enjoy home advantage at the world cup.

I think maybe it isn't the other people who aren't looking at the results.

Comment

I had a free hour this evening so I went through the results since Schmidt took over Ireland to see if your claims that we are so poor away from home held up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11952[/ATTACH]

I don't think they do. We have the 2nd best Win% rate by a distance from SA with the 4th best Home Win% alongside Australia and a fair distance from NZ and SA.

For Away Win% we are 2nd best, well ahead of South Africa. Our Away% is better than Wales' Home% and comparable to Englands, the two teams who will enjoy home advantage at the world cup.

I think maybe it isn't the other people who aren't looking at the results.
                          We lost both crunch away games in Wales and England are were a pass away from losing in Paris.

Your analysis is lob sided becasue for example SA play against the AB's far more then we do. You can hardly qualify going to Scotland or Rome as comparable as going to Dunedin. Even going to Argentina is a harder task then Murrayfield or Rome. We played a scratch Argentina side in what is really the only foreign tour we've had under JS.

So you're correct in saying one of us isn't looking at the results correctly in my opinion

Comment

We lost both crunch away games in Wales and England are were a pass away from losing in Paris.

Your analysis is lob sided becasue for example SA play against the AB's far more then we do. You can hardly qualify going to Scotland or Rome as comparable as going to Dunedin. Even going to Argentina is a harder task then Murrayfield or Rome. We played a scratch Argentina side in what is really the only foreign tour we've had under JS.

So you're correct in saying one of us isn't looking at the results correctly in my opinion
                            And your reasoning is lobsided because large parts of the world cup, particularly Ireland reaching a Semi Final, won't be determined by South Africa playing New Zealand, or by anyone traveling to Argentina.

It will be determined among games between those sides above, played in England.

You are overrating the current Argentina side I feel. Their figures above are boosted by 4 games against Uruguay x2, Chile and Paraguay. Without those 4 games they would have an 11% win rate.

They've lost multiple games to Ireland, Scotland, South Africa and NZ in the last 2 years. They also lost to England, Wales and Australia.
                            They won 3 away games of note - twice in Italy and once against the same French side that went on to lose handily against Wales, Ireland and England in the 6N. They did beat Australia at home in a dead rubber at the end of the 2014 Rugby Championship.

Comment

And your reasoning is lobsided because large parts of the world cup, particularly Ireland reaching a Semi Final, won't be determined by South Africa playing New Zealand, or by anyone traveling to Argentina.

It will be determined among games between those sides above, played in England.

You are overrating the current Argentina side I feel. Their figures above are boosted by 4 games against Uruguay x2, Chile and Paraguay. Without those 4 games they would have an 11% win rate.

They've lost multiple games to Ireland, Scotland, South Africa and NZ in the last 2 years. They also lost to England, Wales and Australia.
                              They won 3 away games of note - twice in Italy and once against the same French side that went on to lose handily against Wales, Ireland and England in the 6N. They did beat Australia at home in a dead rubber at the end of the 2014 Rugby Championship.
                              If Argentina can beat France in Paris . They can beat us too. We don't win too many matches in Cape Town or Dunedin either. However according to most here it's a cakewalk in the waiting .

Comment

Lobsided (adj):
                                In the sport of rugby union, the act of throwing the ball askew into a lineout.
                                "That's another lobsided effort from Cronin."
                                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                                X