Ireland To Bid For 2023 World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno.
    Interesting times when pure profiteering is subject to far more exposure and comment than before.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
      Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with a system where you come second and then expect to win. That and the distinct possibility of more Naivety on their behalf again that they wouldn't have won the second vote.

"The IRFU and the members of the Irish bid team are convinced that if Ireland survived the first round it would have won. "We were fairly sure if we got to the second round we'd win," confirms the source. "If South Africa got through we were fairly sure we'd pick up nearly all of the countries that voted for France; if France got through we were fairly sure we'd pick up most of the countries that voted for South Africa"
      You only need to be first in the final ballot; placing in early ballots is primarily an elimination process. On that basis, France worked the process very well, better than us.

French and Irish Presidential elections work on similar basis; they use a run-off system until one candidate has a majority; we use PR to get a similar result.

If Wales could have been swung in the first ballot, RSA would have been eliminated. France didn't have a majority in the first ballot. In the second ballot, RSA votes would have been "freed" to go wherever they want. It's was a plausible strategy by the IRFU, if not a winning one on this occasion.
      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

The Kiwi who ran their RWC in 2011 said to Keith Wood that he thought NZ would never again get an opportunity to host it.

There isn't enough money in us or NZ when G20 or even G7 nations get into the running from now on.

They'll follow the cash it seems, perhaps they should think about rewarding their existing supporters before expanding the game much further.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          The Kiwi who ran their RWC in 2011 said to Keith Wood that he thought NZ would never again get an opportunity to host it.

There isn't enough money in us or NZ when G20 or even G7 nations get into the running from now on.

They'll follow the cash it seems, perhaps they should think about rewarding their existing supporters before expanding the game much further.
          Although, if no one else bids then the price will not be upped. Will SA bid again, will Ireland? England would if it suited them. Maybe Italy, but perhaps not. Australia probably. The US perhaps, but no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
            Although, if no one else bids then the price will not be upped. Will SA bid again, will Ireland? England would if it suited them. Maybe Italy, but perhaps not. Australia probably. The US perhaps, but no guarantee.

2015 in England
            2019 in Japan
            2023 in France

The southern hemisphere is a shoe in for 2027 after 3 NH in a row so that'll be Saffers or Oz I'd say TLS.

Wonder have Argentina an interest in running? Would be some host nation!
            I am the million man.

Comment

I suspect the Argentines are smarter than to get involved with any of this. Although if they get the football World Cup there might be an argument for piggy-backing on it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                Life is a long game. We have played the short game from the tee. Will have made more enemies than friends in this process.

So essentially life is a game of golf?
                Last edited by ustix; 19th-November-2017, 22:13.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Argentina 2027 you heard it first here. As for 2031 it will probably go back to England - all about the benjimans.
                  Its deja vu all over again!!!

Comment

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-36332772.html

Good article going into the politics behind the vote.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
                      https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby...-36332772.html

Good article going into the politics behind the vote.
                      Like the one referred to in Post 847 above?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                        Like the one referred to in Post 847 above?
                        Apologies, didn't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          2015 in England
                          2019 in Japan
                          2023 in France

The southern hemisphere is a shoe in for 2027 after 3 NH in a row so that'll be Saffers or Oz I'd say TLS.

Wonder have Argentina an interest in running? Would be some host nation!
                          Japan is SH in rugby terms though is it not. Play in Super Rugby etc
                          Ties to Southern Hemisphere big 3 much greater than to european countries..

Comment

Argentina are a shoe in for the next world cup decision. Open secret.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                              Japan is SH in rugby terms though is it not. Play in Super Rugby etc
                              Ties to Southern Hemisphere big 3 much greater than to european countries..
                              You need to frame the argument to suit the Southern Hemisphere applicants ;)

By dint of fact there will be 3 RWCs held in the NH in a row, the Southern Hemisphere is long overdue the RWC.

Because reasons
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Username View Post
                                Argentina are a shoe in for the next world cup decision. Open secret.
                                Jesus if we can't host it I don't know where to start a quick appraisal of ARG limitations. Not a snowballs...

Comment

Working...
                                X