Ireland To Bid For 2023 World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
    I'm feeling a little bitter at the scots and the welsh, so take this with a pinch of salt.

But would it be worth joining the english in a league and leaving the pro14. The english league would be better and they have in the past invited us in. Even if it was tiered into two leagues the Irish provinces would easily stay in the top tier.
    I accept that its a bit of a its my ball and I'm taking it home, but what have the welsh the scots or the italians ever done for us. The welsh and the scots have repeatedly screwed us. I just don't see the upside from staying in the pro 14.
    When was that Scotty?
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Scotty you are mixing up two very different organisations. The English RFU voted for us at the WRC vote

The English PRL threw us, and the Heineken Cup, under a bus for their own commercial gain.

I'd rather sing QSTQ in an Orange sash on the Falls than jump into bed with the PRL.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Hotel rooms in Cork. Not anywhere near enough.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.j...ls-cork-606572

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
          I'm feeling a little bitter at the scots and the welsh, so take this with a pinch of salt.

But would it be worth joining the english in a league and leaving the pro14. The english league would be better and they have in the past invited us in. Even if it was tiered into two leagues the Irish provinces would easily stay in the top tier.
          I accept that its a bit of a its my ball and I'm taking it home, but what have the welsh the scots or the italians ever done for us. The welsh and the scots have repeatedly screwed us. I just don't see the upside from staying in the pro 14.
          The problem with an Anglo-Irish league is that the PRL control all the TV money by virtue of their population size. 53m vs 5.5m.
          What may be possible down the road is RFU run franchises if/when the PRL clubs start to hit the financial buffers.
          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            I live 12 km from Cork airport in a suburb, it would take me an hour and a half to get there by bus, IF the bus shows up because it sometimes doesn’t, and the earliest I could be up there any morning is 8:30, so the earliest flight I could take would be 9:30ish meaning I’ve missed the first ten flights of the day.

Parked for the weekend twice in the last few months. €18, which would be the same or cheaper than the buses I need to get.

There is a service, technically.
            So, at least technically you are wrong- and thanks for your earlier snide comment to my previous post. In addition, it’s likely that the transport concerns are for people arriving in the airport for a game, and returning from wherever they chose to stay overnight (if they didnt then the first flights of the day issue is irrelevant). Most people who travel regularly to games are canny enough not to stay in places it’s hard to travel to/back from.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
              So, at least technically you are wrong- and thanks for your earlier snide comment to my previous post. In addition, it’s likely that the transport concerns are for people arriving in the airport for a game, and returning from wherever they chose to stay overnight (if they didnt then the first flights of the day issue is irrelevant). Most people who travel regularly to games are canny enough not to stay in places it’s hard to travel to/back from.

Snide comment?

We are talking about a tournie where teams play in multiple venues, and the lack or irregularity of public transport that links them. Untwist your briefs.

Comment

Good article by Jim Glennon in the Indo showing how arch the betrayal was.

Perhaps We could play 'Parcel of rogues' from now on when Ireland host Scotland.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-36332772.html

Comment

Originally posted by Omerta View Post

Perhaps We could play 'Parcel of rogues' from now on when Ireland host Scotland.

We have our good friends and Pro 14 partners from Italy, Scotland and Wales at home this season in the 6 Nations.

The post match functions should be interesting.
                  Last edited by glorob; 19th-November-2017, 18:44.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                    We we have our good friends and Pro 14 partners from Italy, Scotland and Wales at home this season in the 6 Nations.

The post match functions should be interesting.
                    Send them to Supermacs

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
                    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Omerta View Post

Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with a system where you come second and then expect to win. That and the distinct possibility of more Naivety on their behalf again that they wouldn't have won the second vote.

"The IRFU and the members of the Irish bid team are convinced that if Ireland survived the first round it would have won. "We were fairly sure if we got to the second round we'd win," confirms the source. "If South Africa got through we were fairly sure we'd pick up nearly all of the countries that voted for France; if France got through we were fairly sure we'd pick up most of the countries that voted for South Africa"

The entire article gives no consideration to venues, infrastructure and the proven ability or lack there of to host tournaments. One thing that strikes me as odd is how the Welsh & Scottish decision would have gone against what their fans wanted, surely they would prefer Ireland as the destination.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                        Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with a system where you come second and then expect to win.
                        Not really. The requirement is getting an absolute majority of votes, which is a sensible basis on which to make the decision.

Comment

Funny how the Welsh are excused for voting for us because their man was on the committee, yet Bill Beaumont was chair of it all and the RFU vote still went our way.
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                            Funny how the Welsh are excused for voting for us because their man was on the committee, yet Bill Beaumont was chair of it all and the RFU vote still went our way.
                            Didn't the Walians say they were gonna vote in line with the stupid report their head man was involved in commissioning?

Im sure a 1/4 final and semi final would have bent their ear
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                              BB looked like he was spitting fire as he held up the French card to signal victory for their bid.
                              I thought I heard two and a half people clap quarter-heartedly on the radio.
                              The shot of Phil Orr congratulating Laporte captured one fraught moment in time.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

No point whinging. But it is true ‘what goes around comes around’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X