Ireland To Bid For 2023 World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    We had a great chance. The first round was France 18, SA 13, Ireland 8. If say the Welsh and Scots voted for us then we would have had 14 points and been through to the second round of voting. Fine margins.
    Yes.... but our fellow celts ignored us and the aussies changed there minds...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
      We had a great chance. The first round was France 18, SA 13, Ireland 8. If say the Welsh and Scots voted for us then we would have had 14 points and been through to the second round of voting. Fine margins.
      Exactement. Cest la vie��. If our neighbors Scotland and Wales had voted for us we would then got to round two and as SA would then have been gone , NZ and Auz would most likely have given us their 3 votes each bringing us to the magical 20points. F*** em and f*** em again and again.
      Last edited by paulie boy; 15th-November-2017, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
        Talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas. No country in the history of the game has done as much damage to international rugby as France has, and the Unions respond to this by boosting their coffers. Madness.

On Scotland and Wales: **** 'em. They've always looked after their own interests. You only have to cast your mind back to the whole European Cup debacle. Wales are having a bad time of it at the moment with injuries and I hope to God we batter them come Springtime.

What's the betting that the IRFU politely declined the offer of the Millenium Stadium and Murrayfield for 1/4 or 1/2 final venues?

What's the betting that France used the time between the publication of the report and the secret ballot to find some more money!

Comment

Originally posted by paulie boy View Post
          Exactement. Cest la vie��. If our neighbors Scotland and Wales had voted for us we would then got to round two and as SA would then have been gone , NZ and Auz would most likely have given us their 3 votes each bringing us to the magical 20points. F*** em and f*** em again and again.
          If, if, if, ....!

Madrid, not London, should have hosted the 2012 Olympics by the same logic. Who remembers that, or even cares?

Our boys have taken a hell of a beating today.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post

The biggest mistake we made that year was leaving Le Suffren to go to the Ireland Argentina game.
            You quit stuffing in Suffren to witness suffering and a stuffing?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Flying into Dublin from UK yesterday. Couple beside me asked how to get into the city centre from the airport? Was there a train? Sorry only a taxi who will more than likely rip you off or take a bus is the only way into the city. That is just one issue that highlights how inadequate we are at the moment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
              "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in.
              I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger.
              A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me?
              No! I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
                Flying into Dublin from UK yesterday. Couple beside me asked how to get into the city centre from the airport? Was there a train? Sorry only a taxi who will more than likely rip you off or take a bus is the only way into the city. That is just one issue that highlights how inadequate we are at the moment.

It's about 10 mins on the aircoach, or dublin bus direct services

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                  Looking at both our score and our coming 3d in the vote and in the report last week you would have to think that World Rugby just do not see Ireland as being fit to host this tournament.

There was a discussion on The Last Word about this in the last week, I cannot recall the day. Matt's guest said he had looked into the Broadband issue in depth and said our ability to provide the level of Broadband required at some of the venues was simply not there.

Thats one very basic (in the modern world) stumbling block if its true.

Many folks here had reservations about our capacity to sleep all these tourists at the one time. I don't know it was or not but there were folks here at home who doubted our ability to host, it wasn't just World Rugby.

Im not saying it was an above board transparent process, just maybe it was crooked AND we were are not in a place to host such an event.
                  I agree with you. We don't have enough hotels. We don't have great infrastructure. And we didn't have the cash. And honestly, I'm not surprised the Super blazers opted for a plush place on the Mediterranean with French food and wine, over the craic in Ireland.

I am still a bit puzzled by the broadband issue though. What requirements don't we meet?
                  Last edited by FORWARD....; 15th-November-2017, 19:19. Reason: spelling
                  "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

There are aspects of the tournament that could have been excellent but, People are very quick to forget the nightmare of a time Killarney is for a Munster Final and the complete gridlock that happens for hours afterwards, or how much of a disaster it is going to PUC for a big game, no parking facilities, absolutely no public transport to the ground and little or nothing in the vicinity.

Galway traffic is a disaster every day of the week. Going to a game in Dublin isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

We could host a memorable tournament, but for a lot of the wrong reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                      I agree with you. We don't have enough hotels. We don't have great infrastructure. And we didn't have the cash. And honestly, I'm not surprised the Super blazers opted for a plush place on the Mediteranean with French food and wine, over the craic in Ireland.

I am still a bit puzzled by the broadband issue though. What requirements don't we meet?
                      They were referring to Broadband in the stadiums and sport complexes I think and broadband that could carry quite substantial amounts of traffic at the one time. The guest speaker said it wasn't as simple as putting basic WiFi into these grounds.

I'm not sure, the more tech experienced here may know.

Do all the towns touted as venues for games have access to proper 21st C high speed broadband? I'm not so sure they do. I mean proper speeds, not 8Mb.

Do all of those venue towns have 4G mobile data coverage, with high capacity? Question not a comment as I don't know.

I worked as part of my job (not as a volunteer) at the Special Olympics when we hosted those games in Dublin ( I was in Dublin, the Country hosted) in 2003. That took a huge effort from this state and its various organisations. I would imagine this would be a whole other level.
                      Last edited by Corcíoch; 15th-November-2017, 18:59.

Comment

the 747 is your man there - a good reliable service to and from the Airport
                        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

It took me two and half hours recently in Paris from plane landing to arriving at my hotel in the centre. In Dublin, I have done thin in 30 mins using the 747.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So when do we decide to leave our Celtic nations on their own and jump into bed with England for an Anglo-Irish league??

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                              So when do we decide to leave our Celtic nations on their own and jump into bed with England for an Anglo-Irish league??

Maybe it's already been agreed..... To be honest at this point I would, there's clearly no interest in supporting eachother from the other Celtic nations, may as well cash in

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                                There are aspects of the tournament that could have been excellent but, People are very quick to forget the nightmare of a time Killarney is for a Munster Final and the complete gridlock that happens for hours afterwards, or how much of a disaster it is going to PUC for a big game, no parking facilities, absolutely no public transport to the ground and little or nothing in the vicinity.

Galway traffic is a disaster every day of the week. Going to a game in Dublin isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

We could host a memorable tournament, but for a lot of the wrong reasons.
                                Would have been a good opportunity to improve the infrastructure- and 6 years would surely have been enough time.

Comment

Working...
                                X