Ireland To Bid For 2023 World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
    not anymore lactose and I'd hope we would be far, far removed from those days by 2023
    would hope so too, but I don't think it is something that can be completely ruled out unfortunately
    "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

We probably wouldnt be able to host a group in ulster anyway as the Gaa ulster council would never agree to it in 100 yrs not to mind 11yrs. The provincial councils still have a major say in what happens wit grounds in their respective counties but other 3 provinces would probably agree to it in the end for the rent after years of very entertaining Arguing. Croker is in the hands of a comitee( i think its the ccc) and they have the power to make the decisions on a case by case basis. All other grounds would require an motion to be passed at congress which i think requires a 2 thirds Majority. Even after achieving that local provincial council would have final say on case by case basis which imo would rule out any ground in ulster.

For the sake of the argument tho you could still host it assuming the gaa cooperated in three of the four provinces.

Grp A. Thomond Park and Gaelic Grounds or thurles.
      Grp B. Aviva and Rds.
      Grp C. Musgrave Park and Parc ui Caoimh
      Grp D. Galway Gaa Grnds in Salthill and Mc Hale Park Castlebar
      Alternative Grp Venues. Ravenhill and Croker.
      Croker and aviva for semis.
      Aviva for 3rd place playoff
      Croker for final.
      All venues (exept Musgrave atm) are in good nick, have decent capacity and host towns/cities well set up infrastructure and hospitality wise and we have a Taoiseach from Castlebar to boot.
      it could be done!

Comment

Surely the Gah have come to the realisation that having all these stadia around, most with 1/2 meaningful matches a year just isn't feasible anymore??
        I understand they have their reasons, but could they afford not to approve the opening of the stadia on a case by case basis?
        "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

I think this would be a fantastic opportunity, in fact i think it is one that is too good to pass up. We have the base here and while some people are getting excited with us not having massive stadia there is nothing worse than the tinny sound of a half empty group game. We would obviously need to get the GAA on board and this has been done before, they would find it very hard to turn it down if the final was offered to them in Croke Park, obviously the 50k Aviva would not be big enough.

We could package this together with golf/horse racing/fishing as we are world leaders in all of those fields. We are at the centre of European rugby, we have huge links with the SANZAR nations, we are in a standard timezone and are within easy reach of the US and Russia. The more I think about it there more I cannot see one reason why we couldnt do it.
          "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by exiled to connacht View Post
            We probably wouldnt be able to host a group in ulster anyway as the Gaa ulster council would never agree to it in 100 yrs not to mind 11yrs. The provincial councils still have a major say in what happens wit grounds in their respective counties but other 3 provinces would probably agree to it in the end for the rent after years of very entertaining Arguing. Croker is in the hands of a comitee( i think its the ccc) and they have the power to make the decisions on a case by case basis. All other grounds would require an motion to be passed at congress which i think requires a 2 thirds Majority. Even after achieving that local provincial council would have final say on case by case basis which imo would rule out any ground in ulster.

For the sake of the argument tho you could still host it assuming the gaa cooperated in three of the four provinces.

Grp B. Aviva and Rds.
            Croker for final.
            All venues (exept Musgrave atm) are in good nick, have decent capacity and host towns/cities well set up infrastructure and hospitality wise and we have a Taoiseach from Castlebar to boot.
            it could be done!

If we got it Ravenhill would definitely be a venue.... which.will be getting a facelift soon..... As would Casement park imo...it got around 60m of public money and Ulster council would be in no position to say no....
            Its planned as 40000 seated stadium.
            "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Think about what Thomond Park looked like 10/11 years ago, Lansdowne as well. We've the same amount of time again to update and consolidate a few key grounds. None of it seems pie in the sky to my mind
              I am the million man.

Comment

Grp B. Aviva and Rds.
                Croker for final.
                it could be done!
                Better to move games all over the country than keep groups in the same areas
                Its not like Ireland is very big and the travel would be a problem
                5 of the 10 are not rugby grounds which would be an issue

Comment

Bertie Bowl? No No... It'll be the "Inda Arena"!

Or more likely by then, the "都柏林足球場"

;-)
                  Last edited by No. 16; 21st-February-2012, 17:32.

Comment

Is feidir linn
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

"If you (or the chinese) build it they will come"

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                        Id love it to happen but its not likely, the IRB wont make enough money off a world cup hosted mainly in ireland. If we got the use of several GAA stadiums it might be possible

With two more world cups with similar figures to 07 in France with stadiums with avarage capacity of around 50000 the IRB are not going to want to go "backwards". NZ got it because they are NZ and I really doubt they or any country that cannot guarnatee bigger crowds will ever get it again
                        The Kiwis owe us one - or Noisy at any rate, as long as he's around - for that and they carry clout at IRB level. We go for it. No turning back now the genie is out of the bottle. Leo is for it and Kelly is junior minister for sport. Look at the contacts/clout his brother has.
                        Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here :_surrender__revampe

Comment

Originally posted by No. 16 View Post
                          "If you (or the chinese) build it they will come"
                          maybe that's why they were in Ireland week.... give us a few quid to host RWC and we'll throw in an aul powerstation or two....

Expect a super dam to be built just north of Lanesboro thus drying up the Shannon ..... it will stop the yearly flooding in Banagher and Portumna and give plenty of water for the Canadians when the frack the ****e out of Leitrim.
                          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Grp B. Aviva and Rds.
                            Croker for final.
                            it could be done!

good post.
                            We've stacks of stadiums.. not really sure what the posters above are on
                            about. We're a cheap flight from anywhere in europe.
                            With the 'craic' factor, I genuinely think this would be the
                            best world cup since 1995, if not ever.
                            The only downside I see is the potential for knackers to somehow
                            f**K it up.. like the messers bringing in knives to the phoenix park.
                            Or lads throwing bananas onto the field, or that lot who dug
                            up thomond park's turf one night., but I'm confident that
                            despite the growing numbers of these people in ireland, they
                            are not rugby fans for the most part.
                            Last edited by mtcmolloy; 25th-August-2012, 12:43.

Comment

Rugby World Cup 2023 in Ireland

If the World Cup was to go ahead inIreland in 2023 there are probably 2 scenarios on how the Rugby World Cup mightlook. The first Rugby World Cup would be an All-Ireland World Cup where allgames are played in Ireland. The second scenario would be to use 10 stadiums inIreland with the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and Murrayfield in Edinburgh. Ithink the second scenario will probably be used by the IRFU as them have onlynamed 6 GAA stadiums that they would like to use and I can only think of 4possible rugby stadiums that could be used. The four rugby stadiums wouldprobably be Aviva Stadium, Thomond Park, Ravenhill Stadium and RDS Arena. The 6GAA Stadiums named are Croke Park Dublin, Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork, Casement ParkBelfast, Gaelic Grounds Limerick, Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney and PearseStadium Galway. The other 2 stadiums I picked to make up the numbers to 12stadiums are McHale Park in Castlebar and Nowlan Park in Kilkenny. But these 2stadiums could be replaced by any other 2 suitable stadiums as long as the capacityis greater than 15,000 (minimum capacity used in New Zealand).

The following 12 stadiums could be used for the tournament:

Croke Park (82,300) - 7 games
                              Aviva Stadium (51,700) - 7 games
                              Pairc Ui Chaoimh (45,000) - 5 games

Casement Park (40,000) – 5 games
                              Thomond Park (26,500) - 4 games
                              Fitzgerald Stadium (43,000) - 4 games
                              Pearse Stadium (36,000) - 4 games

Gaelic Ground (49,500) – 3 games
                              Ravenhill Stadium (18,000) - 3 games
                              RDS Arena (18,500) - 2 games
                              McHale Park (42,000) - 2 games

Nowlan Park (30,000) – 2 games

I have given Croke Park and Aviva Stadium only 7 games each.This was done to spread the pool matches around the country and gives thepitches a chance to recover for the semi finals and finals. I also gave ThomondPark 4 games and Gaelic Grounds 3 games. I think 7 games is enough games forLimerick to cope with and since Thomond Park is the home of Munster rugby Igave it the extra game. I may be lower capacity but Thomond Park is a globallyfamous rugby playing sports field and deserves it on that basis.

If we use the same groups as the 2011 World Cup and start thetournament on Friday the 15th September 2023 this is how thetournament might look:

Pool A:
                              Australia

Ireland
                              Italy
                              USA

Russia

Sep 15 Ireland v USA......................Croke Park
                              Sep 16 Australia v Italy...................Pearse Stadium
                              Sep 20 Russia v USA.......................McHale Park
                              Sep 22 Australia v Ireland...............Croke Park
                              Sep 24 Italy v Russia......................RDS Arena
                              Sep 27 Australia v USA...................Fitzgerald Stadium
                              Sep 30 Ireland v Russia..................Pairc Ui Chaoimh
                              Oct 3 Italy v USA...........................Gaelic Grounds
                              Oct 7 Australia v Russia..................Ravenhill Stadium
                              Oct 8 Ireland v Italy.......................Aviva Stadium

Pool B:
                              England

Argentina
                              Scotland
                              Georgia

Romania

Sep 16 Scotland v Romania...............Thomond Park
                              Sep 16 England v Argentina...............Aviva Stadium
                              Sep 20 Scotland v Georgia.................Gaelic Grounds
                              Sep 23 Argentina v Romania...............Fitzgerald Stadium
                              Sep 24 England v Georgia..................Casement Park
                              Sep 30 England v Romania.................Thomond Park
                              Oct 1 Argentina v Scotland..................Aviva Stadium
                              Oct 4 Georgia v Romania....................McHale Park
                              Oct 7 England v Scotland....................Croke Park
                              Oct 8 Argentina v Georgia...................Pearse Stadium

Pool C:
                              New Zealand

France
                              Tonga
                              Canada

Japan

Sep 17 New Zealand v Tonga...............Pairc Ui Chaoimh
                              Sep 17 France v Japan.........................Casement Park
                              Sep 21 Tonga v Canada.......................Nowlan Park
                              Sep 23 New Zealand v Japan................Casement Park
                              Sep 26 France v Canada......................Pearse Stadium
                              Sep 29 Tonga v Japan.........................Ravenhill Stadium
                              Oct 1 New Zealand v France................Croke Park
                              Oct 3 Canada v Japan..........................Nowlan Park
                              Oct 7 France v Tonga..........................Thomond Park
                              Oct 8 New Zealand v Canada...............Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Pool D:
                              South Africa

Wales
                              Samoa
                              Fiji

Namibia

Sep 16 Fiji v Namibia..........................Fitzgerald Stadium
                              Sep 17 South Africa v Wales...............Aviva Stadium
                              Sep 20 Samoa v Namibia....................RDS Arena
                              Sep 23 South Africa v Fiji....................Pairc Ui Chaoimh
                              Sep 24 Wales v Samoa.......................Thomond Park
                              Sep 28 South Africa v Namibia............Gaelic Grounds
                              Oct 1 Fiji v Samoa..............................Ravenhill Stadium
                              Oct 2 Wales v Namibia.......................Pearse Stadium
                              Oct 6 South Africa v Samoa................Fitzgerald Stadium
                              Oct 8 Wales v Fiji..............................Casement Park

Quarter Finals:
                              Oct 14 New Zealand v Argentina…………Pairc UiChaiomh
                              Oct 14 England v France......................Aviva Stadium
                              Oct 15 Australia v South Africa.............Casement Park
                              Oct 15 Ireland v Wales........................Croke Park

Semi Finals:
                              Oct 21 Ireland v France…………………….Croke Park
                              Oct 22 New Zealand vAustralia............Aviva Stadium

3rd/4th Place Play-off:
                              Oct 27 France v Australia.....................AvivaStadium
                              Rugby World Cup Final:
                              Oct29 Ireland v New Zealand……………Croke Park

Comment

Love the Ireland new Zealand final. All the Ireland games will have to be in Croke park or the Aviva.
                                My hair is more important than timekeeping!

Comment

Working...
                                X