No announcement yet.

Ireland To Bid For 2023 World Cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland is beside the big markets of england, france etc so crowds would be much bigger than in new zealand last year so stadiums would have to be bigger to cater for the bigger crowds that would come over for games

Comment

agree i don't buy into the fact we wouldn't have good attendances......far better chance of higher crowds than nz....purely down to location.....
      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
        Proper marketing, discounted tickets, free entry for U12's/U14's with parents etc and you'd get good crowds...
        Was at the Namibia/Samoa game in Rotorua in Sept. Weds afternoon, 2.30pm kick-off. Place was like a creche cos the local schools got discounted/free tickets and filled the place. Not as full as when Ireland played the Russians there but full enough all the same. We don't need to share it with the UK, Scotland or Wales. We have enough stadia in Ireland better than the Rotorua "International" stadium used last year, I think we'd be nuts not to go for it on our own.
        "Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

The logistics could be worked out over the next decade, what we need right now is a big idea. This island is rapidly forgetting that can do and **** the begrudgers attitude that we were once famed for. There is absolutely nothing on our horizon to hope for or to believe in. Something like this could be great for us. Even if it lost a chunk of change (who cares at this stage its not even our money) the injection in everyone's psyche would be fantastic. Hotels could plan toward it, the Ga could get a tasty touch out of it. It'd always be there, and we'd be workign toward it, even if we had the place back on the grow by then it would be a milestone
          I am the million man.

Comment

These are the capacitys of the stadia used for the 07 world cup in france
            80000, 73000, 68000, 60000, 48000, 41000, 41000, 38000, 35000, 35000, 34000, 34000

Even if we gave some group games to scotland and or wales we dont have enough 30-40k stadiums.
            Id love it if we got to host it but it isnt viable,

Comment

I think it would be absolutely brilliant, if there is a will there is a way. Would be great for this country, but is there the will?
              Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                These are the capacitys of the stadia used for the 07 world cup in france
                80000, 73000, 68000, 60000, 48000, 41000, 41000, 38000, 35000, 35000, 34000, 34000

Even if we gave some group games to scotland and or wales we dont have enough 30-40k stadiums.
                Id love it if we got to host it but it isnt viable,

Its not going to take a whole lot to fill in the corners of TP and the RDS to roll them over the 30K mark. The Ga fields are all gigantic. Feasibly Limerick could have 2 venues on its own. Looking at what Bath use at the Rec and Leinster have used then Muzzer could be ramped up pretty easily and cheaply for a once off. Like I said in the earlier post, get the spirit for the fight in the people first and worry about making it happen afterward. Kennedy told the yanks they'd be on the moon in 5 years and they hadn't a clue how they'd manage it. Ireland needs this, really really badly.
                I am the million man.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ Stadia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2468923
                  Theres what the kiwis used

Click image for larger version

Name:	Irish Stadia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	2468924
                  Thats what we own. The Ga are crucial to any suggestion of holding this. We'd have to do it outside of their major season. But the beauty of it is that we could market different parts of the country for pool matches on the basis of what each region has to offer, the inherent tourism attractions would entice the rugby world cup attendee on top of the competition. Pool games in Killarney, and the beauty of Kerry. Or up in Connemara, its a marketing dream.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Plus how many people would fancy a couple of weeks in one of the friendliest countries in the world. I think Cowboy should be elected Munsterfans official spokesman/ motivator/ agitator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                      Plus how many people would fancy a couple of weeks in one of the friendliest countries in the world. I think Cowboy should be elected Munsterfans official spokesman/ motivator/ agitator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      We all need a kick up the hole and reminding we are Irish and we make things bloody happen when we've no right to. We're like a scolded puppy whose lost the exuberance everyone loves him for. I'm tired of it, get stuck into this and get it rolling.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        Its not going to take a whole lot to fill in the corners of TP and the RDS to roll them over the 30K mark. The Ga fields are all gigantic. Feasibly Limerick could have 2 venues on its own. Looking at what Bath use at the Rec and Leinster have used then Muzzer could be ramped up pretty easily and cheaply for a once off. Like I said in the earlier post, get the spirit for the fight in the people first and worry about making it happen afterward. Kennedy told the yanks they'd be on the moon in 5 years and they hadn't a clue how they'd manage it. Ireland needs this, really really badly.
                        I know im sounding negative but look at the stadiums being used for the next 2 world cups in england and japan and those used in france in 07. The 07, 15 and 19 had or will have stadiums with an average capacity of about 45000. We dont have anywhere near enough stadiums to get near those kind of attendances
                        Last edited by ormond lad; 21st-February-2012, 11:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          We all need a kick up the hole and reminding we are Irish and we make things bloody happen when we've no right to. We're like a scolded puppy whose lost the exuberance everyone loves him for. I'm tired of it, get stuck into this and get it rolling.
                          Absolutely, could not agree more. No reason why Ireland couldn't put on the best RWC ever. And as you said above it would besomething to look forward to. I will start my market research in Somerset this weekend, I bet the reaction from people who would be going over to watch will be universally positive. I don't meet anyone who hasn't had the time of their life anytime they have been to Ireland add rugby to the mix and you are onto a winner IMHO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                            I know im sounding really negative but look at the stadiums being used for the next 2 world cups in england and japan and those used in france in 07. The 07, 15 and 19 had or will have stadiums with an average capacity of about 45000. We dont have anywhere near enough stadiums to get near those kind of attendances
                            To my mind we only have to match the Kiwi's. They made it work (even though it didn't make a mint) and all we have to do is emulate their business case, its proven already. Sparkly and shiny as the 2015 stadia are, I don't see them all selling out. Plus, don't mind what England are up to, just worry about how we, little old Ireland, can make this happen for us. ;)
                            I am the million man.

Comment

plus we have better pubs than the shaky isles for the people who can't get tickets to watch the game.
                              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Don't ask, Don't Get is a phrase my sister uses all the time. If we don't put a bit of effort into seeing if it can be done, then there's no hope at all. One of the games in Nelson (think it was USA/Russia) wasn't a sell out, yet on the night in question people were still willing to part with $80 (bout €60 iirc) for a terrace (actually a grassy hill) ticket! If the Kiwis can fool some unsuspecting tourist (not me!) into parting with cash like that, surely we can?!

Bosco, myself, Secondrowgal and Mrs Sheahan planned our RWC tripped in less than 3 years. Maybe the government/IRFU should let us plan a 2023 RWC for Ireland?! ;)
                                "Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X