• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stickman_sa
    started a topic On Craig Joubert reffing the final

On Craig Joubert reffing the final

From a friend's rugby blog:

not quite unprecedented

So today we heard the news that Craig Joubert will referee the Rugby World Cup final between New Zealand and France on Sunday.

I’ve got a number of issues with this appointment – and none of them has anything to do with Craig Joubert who I think is one of the finest referees around. He’s calm, fair and well spoken. He also doesn’t take any kak and I like that in a referee.

However that doesn’t mean I agree with his appointment and the conspiracy theorist in me went digging into Wikipedia to look up a few things to support a few theories of my own about Paddy O’Brien, the IRB refereeing selection panel that he hides behind and the unbelievable shambles that the custodians of the laws of Rugby Union have created.

My first quest was whether anyone ever reffed a semi-final and a final. I couldn’t remember it happening recently with the best ref of the tournament normally put aside for the final. Allain Rolland ’07, Andre Watson ’03 & ’99, Ed Morrison ’95 and Derek Bevan ’91 all sat out the semi-finals waiting for their chance to referee a final. However there was an instance where it happened and funnily enough it was 1987 when Kerry Fitgerald reffed both the semi-final and final. Prizes for guessing who he refereed? Yeah – god’s gift to rugby: The All Blacks.

You hear from players, coaches and experts the term ‘playing to the referee’. It means that you use your intuition and study to work out how a referee blows and game and make sure that you play within those guidelines to ensure you get the best treatment and give yourself the best chance of winning. The IRB won’t talk about it because they are striving for that great Abominable Snowman that is “consistency” and think that all refs are blowing from the same book. Nobody really buys that though and then you have to ask yourself the question, “Why have the All Blacks then been given an 80 minute warm-up and practice at playing the referee?”. No referee ever makes a mistake (the gospel according to Paddy O’Brien and Andre Watson) so why not give the game to one of the other refs?

The second problem that I have is that if Joubert’s semi-final performance was the high water mark of refereeing and the standard which all referees should strive to obtain then…… WHAT THE F**K WAS THAT S**T BRYCE LAWRENCE DISHED UP IN THE QUARTER? It was poles apart. Here was Joubert policing the rucks. Blowing firmly and not allowing all kinds of funny business at the ruck. If that’s to be rewarded then what Bryce Lawrence dished up was total horse kak and someone should come out and say it.

When the Springboks won the 2007 Rugby World Cup and then kicked the British Lions into submission we were told that it was boring. We were told that the attacking team needed more rights to play attractive rugby. Forget for a moment that rugby is a physical battle and who decides what is better or worse play (and I’ll tell you it’s the Old Farts on the RFU and turd fondler Paddy O’Brien, that’s who). The Springboks then have over 70% of the ball and don’t get a single call in their favour. Not once are the defending team penalised for slowing the ball down or having their hands in the ruck. It’s as inconsistent as it gets.

I’ve been fortunate enough to shadow a few coaches and see the technology they are using. The stats and analysis guys sit in teams with up to eight monitors showing syncronised camera angles of the action. They can slow down, count and cut out clips using computer programs and file them away for later use. My question is why don’t the IRB review games in a similar fashion? With all the money they are getting from gumguard fines they could afford to hire a few kippies to sit and flag anything remotely dangerous so that the big KNOBS could review all the incidents afterwards. Dan Vickerman ran into Heinrich Brussow with a flying shoulder charge that ended his World Cup and followed it up with a repeat of the charge on Jannie du Plessis moments later. Yet nothing was said of it. Brussow is one of the best players in the world, but because he’s a South African with a scrum-cap and not Jonny Wilkinson, Brian O’Driscoll, Dan Carter or Richie McCaw there was nothing made of it. The IRB are too busy fining Samoans for what they say on Twitter and checking everyone’s gumguards instead of watching what is going on in the heat of the battle on the biggest stage. Pathetic.

Spear tackles are dangerous. I have no problem with the Warburton decision at all. However, if I had the time and inclination I could get about 10 of those tackles a season that don’t get a red card. I don’t think there was any malice in Warburton’s tackle, but it was dumb and he had to pay the price. Vickerman’s challenge, however, held twice the malice and even got its desired result.

So well done to New Zealand. The team that can only win a Rugby World Cup in New Zealand with the same referee that reffed their semi-final. Well done too to Paddy O’Brien for seeing his meticulous four-year plan to win a Rugby World Cup for New Zealand finally coming to fruition. Let’s all watch slow motion replays of the Haka in celebration.

[Emphasis: mine]

I still maintain that the ABs have easily been the best side in this competition (and in the years running up to it). To beat Aus so comprehensively without Dan Carter gives an indication of that superiority. Still, there's more than a grain of truth in here... especially the bit that I've bolded above.
    Last edited by stickman_sa; 18th-October-2011, 10:20.

• acheter
    replied
    Who does the author suggest take the final?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Word Is Born
    replied
    Craig has gone and half retired from rugby. He won't ref any more 15 a side games but will continue on the 7s circuit and will take up a development role with World Rugby.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    At least he's now admitting he was a coward. Whatever about making the wrong decision he should have faced the players afterwards

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    And .............

"Referee Craig Joubert has admitted with hindsight he would have reconsidered his decision to award Australia a contentious penalty which saw them edge Scotland 35-34 in a World Cup quarter-final at Twickenham in October.The South African has also admitted he ran off the pitch after blowing the final whistle to avoid confrontation with the players."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...sion-1.2611778

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    4 years later...

Ok regarding the Scotloand/Australia QuarterFinal, I just read this piece on Joubert from Will Greenwood, a nice article from a good guy..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11941250/Attack-Craig-Joubert-for-the-difficult-decisions-he-made-against-Scotland-and-you-are-attacking-the-spirit-of-rugby.html

Leave a comment:

• Clubman
    replied
    Was it Ian McGeechan that coined the phrase: You don't have to win the match, just make sure you have more points on the board when the final whistle blows?

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by munsterforever View Post
    the all blacks certainly held the now tarnished trophy at the end but they didnt win the game against france.
    ahem MO, i hate to be pedantic ( ), but I'm pretty sure they won it alright.

Leave a comment:

• munsterforever
    replied
    Originally posted by Dumptruck View Post
    I think you will find that the fact that they held aloft the webb ellis trophy at the end - they may just have won that game.
    the all blacks certainly held the now tarnished trophy at the end but they didnt win the game against france.

Leave a comment:

• DONC
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Oh really, then who won the match? France, Aus, Wales, Ireland or the tooth fairies???
    Question really is who lost?, any fool knows AB's won but who lost. France according to record books, but overall rugby in general as the final has not been seen by many as a fair contest.

Leave a comment:

• Dumptruck
    replied
    they have been the best team in the world since i can remember and without the blix, the haka etc then union would have been a poorer sport for it. I wanted them to put 50 on the French on sunday...but benji they didnt win the game on sunday and me and you both know it.
    I think you will find that the fact that they held aloft the webb ellis trophy at the end - they may just have won that game.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    they have been the best team in the world since i can remember and without the blix, the haka etc then union would have been a poorer sport for it. I wanted them to put 50 on the French on sunday...but benji they didnt win the game on sunday and me and you both know it.
    Oh really, then who won the match? France, Aus, Wales, Ireland or the tooth fairies???

Leave a comment:

• munsterforever
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    FFS Give New Zealand the credit they deserve. They won it and people are looking to blame anybody rather than agree the best team in the world won it.

Leave a comment:

• inglorious
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    FFS Give New Zealand the credit they deserve. They won it and people are looking to blame anybody rather than agree the best team in the world won it.
    Amen to that Benji.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X