No announcement yet.

On Craig Joubert reffing the final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only point that I can see that has possibly some validity, is that Joubert has already reffed the ABs in the semi. In general IMHO it should be desireable to have a different ref for semi and final as then 1 side doesn't get a chance to become over acclimatised to his reffing style and similarly a ref doesn't get the opp to become house trained to some of their marginal practices e.g. be it slowing ball on the ground, whip wheeling the scrum, infringing the offside line at ruck time, going offside at the maul, etc,etc.

I guess the counter to this argument is that with only 10 top refs at RWC you'd be running short of refs playing well enough to justify one of the major games if you stipulated not reffing the same team twice or both semi and final or whatever...

Personally I think Joubert is only ok, he let the USA foul most of our rucks and all of our mauls at will, also he does not ref offside at the ruck which seriously hinders the attacking team. Joubert is ok but he's not a patch on Rolland IMHO, but I admit I am biased too.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

The bolded part is all that matters and it does seem a fair comment, NZ now have a recent knowledge of the ref.

Also somewhere above it was claimed Wales were one of the form teams, they lost to a ****e SA, struggled to beat Samoa and then dazzlingly destroyed 2 minnows followed by a solid win over us, the form of also rans. NZ have cruised to where they are.

Comment

Anyone else think Paddy O'Brien should receive a winners medal too?

Comment

Originally posted by bazzyg View Post
          The bolded part is all that matters and it does seem a fair comment, NZ now have a recent knowledge of the ref.

Also somewhere above it was claimed Wales were one of the form teams, they lost to a ****e SA, struggled to beat Samoa and then dazzlingly destroyed 2 minnows followed by a solid win over us, the form of also rans. NZ have cruised to where they are.
          All pro teams have in-depth knowledge of the referees in their league/competition etc.

All the pro teams from Pro12 up (and even AIL clubs are starting now) use Sportscode Gamebreaker to analyse how individuals referee the scrum/breakdown/tackle/ ruck/maul etc. You know they're using it because you'll see a row of Mac Notebooks in front of the coaches/analysts - it only runs on Mac.

All teams will have a video d/b of each referee giving in-depth info - NZ didn't have a great advantage at all.
          Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

FFS Give New Zealand the credit they deserve. They won it and people are looking to blame anybody rather than agree the best team in the world won it.
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

I agree the best team in the world won it. However, I think Joubert gave every 50/50 decision to New Zealand, as he also did in the semi final. I thought it was a very poor performance from him in that respect and for me, took away somewhat from NZ winning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                FFS Give New Zealand the credit they deserve. They won it and people are looking to blame anybody rather than agree the best team in the world won it.
                Amen to that Benji.
                Cowardice lasts longer than Pain

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                  they have been the best team in the world since i can remember and without the blix, the haka etc then union would have been a poorer sport for it. I wanted them to put 50 on the French on sunday...but benji they didnt win the game on sunday and me and you both know it.
                  If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterforever View Post
                    they have been the best team in the world since i can remember and without the blix, the haka etc then union would have been a poorer sport for it. I wanted them to put 50 on the French on sunday...but benji they didnt win the game on sunday and me and you both know it.
                    Oh really, then who won the match? France, Aus, Wales, Ireland or the tooth fairies???

Comment

I think you will find that the fact that they held aloft the webb ellis trophy at the end - they may just have won that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                        Oh really, then who won the match? France, Aus, Wales, Ireland or the tooth fairies???
                        Question really is who lost?, any fool knows AB's won but who lost. France according to record books, but overall rugby in general as the final has not been seen by many as a fair contest.
                        I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

Originally posted by Dumptruck View Post
                          I think you will find that the fact that they held aloft the webb ellis trophy at the end - they may just have won that game.
                          the all blacks certainly held the now tarnished trophy at the end but they didnt win the game against france.
                          If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Comment

the all blacks certainly held the now tarnished trophy at the end but they didnt win the game against france.
                            ahem MO, i hate to be pedantic (:) ), but I'm pretty sure they won it alright.

Comment

Was it Ian McGeechan that coined the phrase: You don't have to win the match, just make sure you have more points on the board when the final whistle blows?
                              Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here :_surrender__revampe

Comment

4 years later...

Ok regarding the Scotloand/Australia QuarterFinal, I just read this piece on Joubert from Will Greenwood, a nice article from a good guy..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11941250/Attack-Craig-Joubert-for-the-difficult-decisions-he-made-against-Scotland-and-you-are-attacking-the-spirit-of-rugby.html

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X