World Cup Post Mortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is then?
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

"Murray - Shouldn't have started. - Wales didn't put him under pressure and didn't need to, his delivery is so slow, it becomes a liability. And he was slow to the breakdown. He plays at his own pace, not the pace of the game. I'm sick of hearing he's this, that and the other - He's shyte! - Who picked him?"

"As for Murray.....car crash stuff. I don't blame the kid tho', I blame kidney for picking him."

"There was no case for Murray to either start or even be on the bench.
      The fabled game management, where exactly was it?"

"Murray was the slowest sh I've ever seen but the pack was blown away in the 2nd half. Outclassed."
      -From the Leinsterfans website.

Opinions on Murray's performance please.

Comment

Originally posted by BourkeofDublin View Post
        "Murray - Shouldn't have started. - Wales didn't put him under pressure and didn't need to, his delivery is so slow, it becomes a liability. And he was slow to the breakdown. He plays at his own pace, not the pace of the game. I'm sick of hearing he's this, that and the other - He's shyte! - Who picked him?"

"As for Murray.....car crash stuff. I don't blame the kid tho', I blame kidney for picking him."

"Murray was the slowest sh I've ever seen but the pack was blown away in the 2nd half. Outclassed."

Did this guy only see the second half? Ireland were blown away from about 5 seconds into the game, never mind just the second half.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Thought Murray had a decent game and overall probably one of our better performers on the day. Did much better than ROG. Good defense, caught a few under pressure, no obvious mistakes, kept us moving and decent passing. Was caught up in rucks but that wasnt his fault. Not outstanding but good and just about earned his spot. Looking forward to him playing with more authority and confidence in 6N.
          Absolute nonsense to see we lost because of the halfback selection - Wales outplayed us pure and simple and the challenge now is to build to beat them in the coming years

Comment

Wonder for once if the "big Game" got to ROG Thought he looked almost in tears at "Ireland's Call" Not his usual composed and focussed self!!

Comment

On top of finding new players, I believe our skill sets are inferior to all teams left in the tournament, in general, as a whole. This more than anything needs to be worked on. after watching the french/Welsh today(prob oz/nz tomorrow), the ease with which their whole squad can handle and pass at max speed is the standard which we have to strive for, not to mind their primary tasks on the field.

The onus is on the irfu to make sure most of our young pretenders are exposed to rabo pro 12 this year and in turn HC and onto 6n. There are a few players in the country at the moment who excite me and i am wondering if more knowledgeale fans would know if these guys have the extra gear to step up and go beyond the standards of international rugby. Its one thing being just about the standard, its another becoming one of the top 3-4 in your position in the world.. players who i wouldve seen some of as youngsters who i thought could have been fast tracked into provincial and irish squads: In particular:

Backs?From what ye have seen,
              does keatley or madigan have it?
              Gilroy and spense in the north?
              Andrew Conway and Fionn Carr?
              Barnes? How good is this guy? Has he potential to step up?

Forwards:
              Hagan?
              Dominc Ryan? Can this guy play as an openside?
              Dave Foley and Nagle?
              Paddy Butler and POM?

I am by no means dancing on the graves of the current greats but merely looking to see if we have any players who could not only step up to the plate but go way beyond the norm!

Comment

Originally posted by BourkeofDublin View Post

Wouldn't disagree, the site hugely overrates Murray imo. Even with red tinted glasses on I wouldn't have picked Murray. Its not so much that his delivery is slow its his tempo in general is very inconsistent leading to a disorganized broken flow of momentum. He never really got his backs functioning at all and just seemed on a different wavelength to his teammates at times. Reddan in particular is quite good at varying his tempo to suit the game.
                That said TOL is crocked, strings defensively vulnerable, Reddan liable for brainfarts and boss seemingly brought along for sentimental reasons. Murray may very well be the best of a bad lot but he certainly didn't look like a top SH.

Comment

healy 1
                  sherry 2
                  dont know 3
                  touhy 4
                  nagle 5
                  ferris 6
                  dont know 7
                  o brien 8
                  murray 9
                  keatley/madigan 10
                  earls 11
                  mcfadden 12
                  dont know and god bless him 13
                  bowe 14
                  jones 15

Comment

ferris 6 - This being the same Ferris who is supposed to have no cartlidge in his knees? If the rumours are correct, not a hope he'll be there in 2015.

Other than that I wont disagree but a lot can change in 4 years.
                    Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by flimwodd View Post
                      healy 1
                      sherry 2
                      dont know 3
                      touhy 4
                      nagle 5
                      ferris 6
                      dont know 7
                      o brien 8
                      murray 9
                      keatley/madigan 10
                      earls 11
                      mcfadden 12
                      dont know and god bless him 13
                      bowe 14
                      jones 15
                      woulnt win the Rabo Pro 12 with that team.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        Oh, and Gaffney's off so hopefully we'll see something in the way of back play under a new backs coach.
                        I am starting it here and now - bring the Dagger aka EOS home NOW, as 'back play consultant' or whatever. Talented both technically and tactically in back play. Tell Deccie to suck it up and make it work. He will be needing all his man management skills to smooth feathers ruffled by EOS. The part-time USA were a credit to him. Still has a lot to offer, and he is one of our own. Also would have Schmidt as part time adviser and sounding board. You can bet that there is hardly a J2 or under 12 back in the country that EOS does not know about, even from thousands of miles away - he is OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
                          We don't get over the gainline anymore from 12 or 13. Darcy and Drico just don't have the step/pace that they did a few years ago.
                          Both were dwarfed by their opposite numbers today - our backline looked very toothless all competition.Gaffney is taking alot of blame for this but we have two centres who are way past their best offensively.
                          You know when you rehabbing constantly between games and not training anymore then you've no chance really. O'Driscoll was an exceptional player the likes we won't see in a hurry but he hasn't been fit in a long time. The centres at this level are physical specimens and are training at a very high intensity every week. If you are 'resting your shoulder' in between games then eventually you'll simply be found out. O'Driscoll and D'Arcy were actually found out today. Our forwards were so on top against Oz that they weren't exposed and Italy hadn't the backs to do anything. Roberts & Davies just ran through them today. I'm tempted to say both should retire and I think D'Arcy who has been poor for a while now probably should. If both are fully fit and playing well with their clubs then they should be considered for selection in the 6n's but if either is carrying the slightest injury, they should be left rehab and then at least they might be some use to their province.

There is raw material there for future midfields: Marshall, Spense (who is the closest thing we have in terms of brute force to a Roberts), Fitzgerald, McFadden, Barnes, Bowe, Earls, O'Malley, Macken etc. Wales have basically taken a punt on their young players (who have achieved nothing at club level - Ulster had a far far better season than any Welsh club last season - BTW I've seen Ulster this season and midfield is not their problem.
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                            Thing is you keep talking about no replacement for x, someone needs to displace y but even when they've played poorly these guys couldn't get dropped if they paid Kidney to do it so how can someone replace them. Also people are expecting replacements to come in and be better than these guys straight away with no time to learn or develop and argue since they're not then they shouldn't be there. Other sides have the sense to recognise you need to develop players not sit there going no not good enough all the time and keep playing others too long.

Gatland proved what you are saying. Instead of relying on experienced players who had basically been underperforming over the last couple of seasons, he took a punt on youth and has been rewarded. Where did these welsh tyros come from?

Have they been creating havoc with their clubs? Nope: Munster/Leinster/Ulster all had much much better seasons then any of the welsh clubs last season. Our young players have shown they are a match for the same Welsh players at club level.

Have welsh underage teams been outstanding in recent years? Nope, no better than Irish teams unless I'm mistaken.

I say fair dues to Gatland - he wasn't conservative in his selection, he took some gambles.
                            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
                              ferris 6 - This being the same Ferris who is supposed to have no cartlidge in his knees? If the rumours are correct, not a hope he'll be there in 2015.

Other than that I wont disagree but a lot can change in 4 years.
                              I read somewhere that his last operation was a major success,and apparently his knee wont be a problem(hopefully) whaetver about anything else

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork View Post
                                Gatland proved what you are saying. Instead of relying on experienced players who had basically been underperforming over the last couple of seasons, he took a punt on youth and has been rewarded. Where did these welsh tyros come from?

Have they been creating havoc with their clubs? Nope: Munster/Leinster/Ulster all had much much better seasons then any of the welsh clubs last season. Our young players have shown they are a match for the same Welsh players at club level.

Have welsh underage teams been outstanding in recent years? Nope, no better than Irish teams unless I'm mistaken.

I say fair dues to Gatland - he wasn't conservative in his selection, he took some gambles.
                                They've produced some freakishly good players at underage level and I think they came third or fourth at the junior championship in 2008. The thing with some of these freaks such as Roberts, North and and Prydie is that they pretty much seemed to bypass u20's (a bit like Fitzgerald did for us) so wouldn't have brought the obvious benefits. The fact is that Wales have a special generation of players coming through and those guys seem to up it massively when playing for their country compared to their clubs. If we had guys like Roberts or North available you can bet they'd be in the team, the sad fact is that we don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X