World Cup Post Mortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
    Most distance carried, beat more defenders than rest of team and more offloads than anyone else...
    He does lack attacking vision/skill though. For a good example compare him to Nacewa.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
      He does lack attacking vision/skill though. For a good example compare him to Nacewa.
      but then Nacewa is more of a 10/12 playing FB, a playmaker. I'd be happy with Kearney if he could just be relied upon to make last man 1 on 1 tackles.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

We were beaten by a better team on the day, simple. Wales played with more intensity, simple. The seeds of this loss were sown when we failed to seal the BP against the US in the first game. We put ourselves under pressure for the Italy game and gave Mallet etc something to work with, they went about their business and took 10% more out of us than would have been the case if we had had that BP. That 10% hurt us today and congratulations to the Welsh. Small margins but as disappointed as I am for ROG, BOD, DOC, D'arcy,Mike Ross, best and maybe POC and Fez who will not play in another RWC Irish rugby is not ready for the pall bearers quite yet. This group of players and the fantastic Irish fans have given every Irishman or woman every where in the world a reason to puff out their chests and be proud. That is not accepting mediocrity, that is the truth!! We will win the RWC in Twickenham in 2015 and in men like Healy, Sherry, Hagan, Archer, Nagle, POC, Tuohy, SOB, Heaslip, POM, Both Ryans, McCloughlin, the ruddocks, Murray, Luke McGrath, the funny wee SH Marshall, Sexton, Keatley, Paddy Jackson, Cave, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Barnes, Spense, Conway, Gilroy, Zebo, the Earl, Bowe, Trimble, Kearney etc etc etc we have the players to do it. Gwan Ireland!!!

Comment

With no AI's this season I'd guess we will not see many changes made to the squad in next years 6 nations.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
            With no AI's this season I'd guess we will not see many changes made to the squad in next years 6 nations.
            if we don't then kiss goodbye to progress for another couple of years - there will always be an excuse of we can't blood new players here, there or ever. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and make those changes if the players don't. As a comparison, Martin Johnson was 33 when England won the world cup and could have played another 2-3 years at top level, he was very fit, little injury history, lived a good lifestyle but he recognised time to do that. I think a few like DOC, Cullen, MOD, d'Arcy, ROG need to recognise the same, go out now not keep holding on to try to make up for this or stay part of the gang (something BOD said as a difficulty on retiring).
            \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post

Remind me of Einstein's definition of insanity.
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Time for rebuilding is now.....DOC, Rog, Darcy, Cullen, Buckley, Horgan should not be in anymore Irish squads.....Hagan, Wilkinson, Hurley, D Ryan, Keatley, Downey, McFadden, Luke, Felix etc should get plenty of experience

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
                  Time for rebuilding is now.....DOC, Rog, Darcy, Cullen, Buckley, Horgan should not be in anymore Irish squads.....Hagan, Wilkinson, Hurley, D Ryan, Keatley, Downey, McFadden, Luke, Felix etc should get plenty of experience
                  Add Paddy Wallace and Geordie Murphy to the departures - and some of the Ulster young backs to the incoming mix, while you're at it.

I wonder whether TOL will feature again - any thoughts?
                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

DOC at 32 as a lock is hardly having one foot in the retirement home or anything. The likes of Nallet, Matfield, Russouw etc are older than that and are still regarded as top class. He's also had a good world cup, I think people are being unfair on him to say he needs to move on.
                    For ROG we don't have a replacement for him yet, Sexton has been given umpteen chances and hasn't taken them. ROG certainly can't be accused of impeding his progress.
                    Darce, somebody needs to displace him first. McFadden failed to do this at club level despite him supposedly being the frontrunner for 12. It's funny you'd refer to him as "hanging on" when hes the unanimous unopposed 12 at both club and international level.

A better angle to take with those guys is that its time for the young guys to step up and demand their place over the old brigade. They all have the chance to impose themselves and displace them at club level, it starts there. Lets see McFadden, Keatley etc step up to the plate.

I'd agree with Cullen and MOD both are 4th and 5th choice at this stage. No reason to persist with older players far down the pecking order.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                      DOC at 32 as a lock is hardly having one foot in the retirement home or anything. The likes of Nallet, Matfield, Russouw etc are older than that and are still regarded as top class. He's also had a good world cup, I think people are being unfair on him to say he needs to move on.
                      For ROG we don't have a replacement for him yet, Sexton has been given umpteen chances and hasn't taken them. ROG certainly can't be accused of impeding his progress.
                      Darce, somebody needs to displace him first. McFadden failed to do this at club level despite him supposedly being the frontrunner for 12. It's funny you'd refer to him as "hanging on" when hes the unanimous unopposed 12 at both club and international level.

A better angle to take with those guys is that its time for the young guys to step up and demand their place over the old brigade. They all have the chance to impose themselves and displace them at club level, it starts there. Lets see McFadden, Keatley etc step up to the plate.

I'd agree with Cullen and MOD both are 4th and 5th choice at this stage. No reason to persist with older players far down the pecking order.
                      Thing is you keep talking about no replacement for x, someone needs to displace y but even when they've played poorly these guys couldn't get dropped if they paid Kidney to do it so how can someone replace them. Also people are expecting replacements to come in and be better than these guys straight away with no time to learn or develop and argue since they're not then they shouldn't be there. Other sides have the sense to recognise you need to develop players not sit there going no not good enough all the time and keep playing others too long.

You also seem to forget that central contracts control who plays at club level meaning there's no hope of the younger guys getting the place then either. Unless IRFU leads the way we will be fielding the same players for the next 2-3 years then moaning about no development.
                      Last edited by Evil Omer; 8-October-2011, 12:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                        Add Paddy Wallace and Geordie Murphy to the departures - and some of the Ulster young backs to the incoming mix, while you're at it.

Seriously have you watched ulster this season. Abysmal covers it. Bar gilroy none of the others are interantional standard in my view. Eoin Griffin is far better then Spence and Marshall.
                        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

Matfield is the best lineout forward in the world who can carry a bit, Nallet is a big bruiser who is also a good ball carrier, Russow carries more in one game than DOC carries in a whole season....DOC isn't a great lineout option, is a very poor carrier also and someone like D Ryan, Tuohy will give far more physicality in ball carrying.

Best 2 Irish performances against good teams was against Eng in the 6Nations and Aus in the RWC and Sexton played in both. Poor goal kicking cost him but tackling, carrying etc he is far better than ROG who had the worst kicking display of both outhalves in the comp today. Downey would be an option at 12 giving us a 6'4 17 stone centre who can get over the gainline in a big game rather than relying on the backrow to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                            Seriously have you watched ulster this season. Abysmal covers it. Bar gilroy none of the others are interantional standard in my view. Eoin Griffin is far better then Spence and Marshall.
                            I informed you last season that you had the intellect of a spent fart and that I had no intention of debating rugby matters with you. That position remains unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                              Seeing as he's failed to make Munster squads in the last two months you have to assume his injury is more serious than first we thought, wonder was he playing through something trying to get to the RWC? TOL offers an athleticism none of the other 9's has, but skillwise Murray is already ahead of him after 3 starts. Murray has a lot to work on but he has the tools to work with. Australia, SA and France continually show that scrumhalves can move into other positions, TOL should consider doing likewise. For me, from an Irish team p.o.v., he should move to 12 but in truth he's more of a back three player.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post
                                Seeing as he's failed to make Munster squads in the last two months you have to assume his injury is more serious than first we thought, wonder was he playing through something trying to get to the RWC? TOL offers an athleticism none of the other 9's has, but skillwise Murray is already ahead of him after 3 starts. Murray has a lot to work on but he has the tools to work with. Australia, SA and France continually show that scrumhalves can move into other positions, TOL should consider doing likewise. For me, from an Irish team p.o.v., he should move to 12 but in truth he's more of a back three player.
                                TBH if TOL wants to move to back 3 he needs to do it somewhere other than Munster, can't/don't want to see Jones, Earls, Howlett, Zebo, Barnes combos being held back for experimentation. If he could move to 12 I'd be happy to see that tried, especially since at his age he could come good there.

Comment

Working...
                                X