No announcement yet.

World Cup Post Mortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True when sexton and Reddan came on it made a huge difference. Total sum of points scored from 56 minutes on = 0.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
      True when sexton and Reddan came on it made a huge difference. Total sum of points scored from 56 minutes on = 0.
      Unfortunately Davis try not long after they came on had it wrapped up. But we did look much more threatening in their 22 once Reddan and Sexton had got in to the rhythm of the game, it was an awful shame BOD knocked on 5m out, we looked to be building up well there and with a few more phases who know, but we were really forcing it at that stage.

Comment

Rog had a poor game by his high standards on Saturday but he is not the reason we lost. Sexton came on and his kicking was woeful, unfortunately he had a very poor World Cup and did not stand up to pressure, his substandard place kicking was the reason Rog was a shoe in to start on Saturday.

I am very disappointed for the team that they didnt do themselves justice for this match having given the whole country a lift in the previous matches. Having just returned from NZ I cant believe the clamour to give Heaslip captaincy, I wouldnt put him in charge of a paper bag and for me the loss of Wallace was disastrous as SOB could have played at 8, IMO his best position, and Heaslip the undoubted talent that he is could have been given a kick up the backside for believing his own press and left out of the starting lineup.

Of all Irish players with the exception of Sexton he should have the most regrets as he was only a shadow of himself. Its easy to pick out P Wallace, Darcy etc but these guys gave the best of their talent, Heaslip for me was the most frustrating.

While the Australia match was brilliant questions have to be asked of squad preparation and extended squad choices brought to NZ. Was Boss brought over to visit his relatives???

Comment

Wheres the clamour for Heaslip? I couldnt imagine him as captain. Not in form and has shown poor judgement in interviews and on twitter over the last 12 months. Even a leinster friend of mine says he shouldnt be captain
          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
            It now seems that the most critical position to get sorted out is 12, since we dont have any 6'3" 16 stone 20 year old backs there surely is a loose forward or 2 in the country that could be converted? If Roberts were Irish he'd have been lumped into the backrow as a young fella, how about moving a few in the opposite direction?
            Further to one of my observations about Munster; he started off a 15. We could, and should, have made the same switch with Hurley.
            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
              I also love how, apparently, it's now Earls' fault Healy missed the tackle on his man and Kearney can't cover-tackle as a full-back.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy View Post
                Extremely disappointing to have been proved right on the half backs selection, the cause of all our problems on Saturday morning and throughout the last two years(England 6n and Australia being the exception). This is just another example of the dreadful selection policies of Declan kidney and for that he should go. Thanks for the slam, now on your bike.
                Really tell us about those, the Leinster gob****e strikes again
                The people of Munster - it's almost the Nation of Munster - it gave me shivers to see how they were supported today and that people will travel like that.
                - Guy Noves, Toulouse Coach
                26 Apr 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                  I also love how, apparently, it's now Earls' fault Healy missed the tackle on his man and Kearney can't cover-tackle as a full-back.
                  EArls shot up and hesitated. If he had backed himself they try would have been stopped. He'll learn from it. ROGs mistake for the Phillips try is unforgivable though.

Comment

EArls shot up and hesitated. If he had backed himself they try would have been stopped. He'll learn from it. ROGs mistake for the Phillips try is unforgivable though.
                    He was covering 2 players and Williams got under him.
                    The people of Munster - it's almost the Nation of Munster - it gave me shivers to see how they were supported today and that people will travel like that.
                    - Guy Noves, Toulouse Coach
                    26 Apr 2003

Comment

Looking back now. It was a 6 day turn around, so you've got to wonder, why or what the benefit of that weight lifting session that was all over the papers mid week.

They weren't going to deteriorate over the few days it had no real purpose in the short term and when they were in between two incredibly physical games, the long term wasn't, or shouldn't have been in the mind of the coaches. Now obviously, they pay guys to get this part right, but, for me, it doesn't make much sense.

It was a tough game against Italy, and with that short turn around before the most important game this team has ever played, you've got to wonder why they did such heavy work. The looked tired and heavy legged. Wales looked fresh and hungry and light on their feet, springs in the boots almost, we seemed to have steel in our shoes. They were everywhere, and two of them for every one of us, they tackled everything that moved. We looked tired..we looked old.

They'll deny it all they want, in their minds they thought they had the game won, from the fans, the media, the players themselves, and it was interesting to see certain players humbled. Healy for instance, everyone talking him up, he was loving it, he had the sense of I'm not afraid of anyone. He's 24 years old for Christ sake, and he, and a few other players who the New Zealand media and the rest of the rugby world were talking up, got a harsh slap of reality.

And are we so set in our ways, the coaches so stubborn that we just simply can't change the way we play and adapt when we need to.
                      How many times have we heard the phrase in Irish commentary be it watching Munster or Ireland, Leinster etc, where they have said something like, if plan A doesn't work, go back to plan A.

Wales look like they wanted it more. This is a professional team, and yes, some of them owe us nothing, but on the day they did. It's not ok that BOD made a ridiculous mistake during the game, just because he's given us an amount of service. Same applies for every player on the pitch.
                      This is what they get paid for. But this is a chance they will never get again, and nobody knows that more than them.

This comes around every 4 years, they get paid a ridiculous wage, for what, to nearly get it right? I would have no problem if we went out in a roar and flash of lights and no regrets, but they went on with a whimper and half a heart and tired legs.

Looking back now, no we can't criticize them, they have done so much for us, but on the day..we got it so wrong. And that's beyond frustrating.

It wasn't good enough, and getting it right in a few months against them wont make up for it. No question about it we were beaten by the better team, and we deserved to be, but things could have been different, and should have been.

It was a dream, it's over, and were we fools to believe in it? Maybe..But it was good to dream, even for a little while. Gave us all something to smile about for once.

Time to rebuild I guess.
                      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Sweet Divine. So, it wasn't D'Arcy who, with no-one on the blindside, and everyone covering the numbers on the openside, was the pillar who was ball-watching, stepped in, took his eyes off Philips and was skinned for a killer try. It was ROG in a D'Arcy mask. Turns out someone can be so bitter they can be clinically deranged.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                          Sweet Divine. So, it wasn't D'Arcy who, with no-one on the blindside, and everyone covering the numbers on the openside, was the pillar who was ball-watching, stepped in, took his eyes off Philips and was skinned for a killer try. It was ROG in a D'Arcy mask. Turns out someone can be so bitter they can be clinically deranged.
                          ;) Oh it's good to have this place back to it's old self.
                          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

I agree that D'arcy was not up it. Another failing of Kidney, only have Wallace in reserve, a weaker, poorer player. - I actually agree with you...!

O'Gara ..... turned down place kicks - think you'll find it was our captain that turned down those kicks
                            Congrats, we actually agree on something.
                            D'Arcy had one good game this year, but he's faded away from his glory years. Paddy Wallace is just not an option these days at 12. Who is the question. Bowe is touted, but hasn't Trimble paled centre too and he's as physical as anyone out there.

As for spurning those kicks, I have written enough, but I think you'll find it was BoD who made those decisions. Looking back it was patently obvious we should have put points on the board then. And it may also point to a misplaced arrogance that also surfaced in other aspects of our play.

All done now, but can we learn from it? It's too late for some guys, but we should have shut up beforehand and maybe Deccie deserves some criticism for the state of their heads going on the pitch. It wasn't right and some of that responsibility lies with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                              The real Irish problems were at midfield & BR. You know this full well.
                              Darcy proved that he is the biggest waster to don a 12 jersey. Utterly useless & Kidney has a lot to answer playing him at 12 consistently.
                              Darcy has been 6 Nations player of the year. So waster is way off. We'll see whether Earls ever earns the accolade. I suspect he wont. We actually have few options in this department at 12. But we need to find a big man for it - that there is no question

BOD needs to go down the POC route- quit the big weights and get fitter. And stay at 13. He's still our best 13 by a mile.

Cave isnt international standard in my view and neither is Spence- his hands just arent good enough. I've never seen the hype with Luke Marshall either.

Andrew Conway and Craig Gilroy are the best two young backs in Ireland by a mile but they arent centres.

Eoin Griffin in my view could make a very good 12 given time. Whether he'd be international std though is questionable.

Even on the current underage teams I couldnt honestly say we have a centre good enough for this
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                                Post mortem is much simpler, we choked-both players & management.

Wales are a decent side but we made them look good, we played right into their blitz defence, where were the dinks over the top?
                                Gatland outsmarted us & nailed his tactics by taking our big guys down by the ankles. SOB rarely offloads so this was the correct tactic. The choke tackle was a disaster in reality as it allowed Wales big guys to make yards for fun. We got KO'ed in the Q-final which goes down as a failure. Another huge disappointment by our so called "golden generation" (biggest load of **** I have heard & made up by Gerry lickarse Thornley). In reality all they delivered was a GS, even two joke Welsh teams managed that. I just hope our next bunch have the bottle to compete at this level. They should be labelled chokers for their efforts at 3 WC's, on the big day they have rarely delivered even though they promised so much.

Darcy, BOD, DOC, ROG, Buckley & Cullen should be retired now. Fresh blood & impetus is needed.
                                Bar the last line I regrettably agree. We simply haven't cashed the chips at a WC. This team unfortunately has blown too many games over the years. Has to be very disappointing for them. We'll never see a BOD or POC again.
                                I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Working...
                                X