No announcement yet.

World Cup Post Mortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cave and Spence need to get into the 6Ns squad and should be given starts against Scotland, Italy and England - right now I think Ireland should be looking to put clear water between ourselves and these three nations. Whilst I am sad we lost on Saturday, when I look at the turmoil of the English set-up we are streets ahead of them. I fear that Scottish rugby is bust and Italian rugby still five years away from producing anything close to a decent back line.

Two weeks off rugby now.

Comment

We played a Welsh team who had shown massive physicality in their group games even against SA and caused them massive problems at the breakdowns and we picked players who are physically weak in contact.

First minute we tried to crash Earls up in the middle and he got smashed and lost the ball, they came straight down and in 2 minutes we didn't get close to putting in a big hit and ended up with them having a 2 on 3 and somehow converting it into an overlap and a try because we played so tight to the ruck....We then attacked and won a number of penalties which we didn't kick, were poor maulers and tried to have ROG carrying into contact which we lost and they cleared. We put up only 1 high ball in dangerous territory which Halfpenny won under big pressure and we then stopped doing that. We also kicked dead a couple of times which killed us. We picked SOB at 7 against a top class No7 and he was shown up which has happened everytime he has played 7 for Leinster against a decent team and yet the expectation was that this wouldn't happen at the highest level. We also made 2 unreally bad decisions in defence for the last 2 tries (Darcy for first one, Earls for 2nd one).

We should have started Trimble & Sexton to give us 2 more physical carriers in the backline and be able to put them under more pressure. Anytime POC/DOC/Best/Ross were looking to carry the ball they should have been in pods of 2/3 with the backrow coming from deep behind them to either take the offload before the tackle or to act as dummies to take the defensive eye off the pods and to clear the ruck so that Murray could hit Sexton on the run with Trimble/Bowe off either shoulder. When Wales kicked deep there should have been 5/6 players sprinting back to create a counter attack line.

Also why when we were defending was there no thought to just tackling guys around their ankles as Joubert was always letting the opposition have time to drive the maul and bring it to ground before blowing up unlike Lawerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
        Okay so, I was wrong there but that's 7 years ago. Lightyears in a rugby career. Darcy & BOD both played 12 that season & he didn't play thereafter. Now the 12 position requires enormous huge physicality. This changing of BOD to 12 couldn't possibly work & it's a myth that has been pedaled by a few of us on here who don't understand the game. Surely you can see how playing Darcy (not a natural 12) has been disastrous in the last few years. Most good 12's these days are 6ft 2in+ & built like tanks (JDV, SBW, Nonu, Roberts, Jauzion, Mermoz) BOD is only 5ft 9.
        Sure it was 7 yrs ago when Bod last played 12@international level, but he was excellent then and he has been playing 13 since which isn't a million miles from 12 lets face it. If Bod can get his injuries sorted and get in the physical shape required for the position he has oodles of things he can bring to the position that the taller 12 s struggle with such as; ability on the deck, footwork, change of direction, low centre of gravity, etc, etc.. Put this together with moving Bowe to 13 & Trimble to 14, and you can se e how this Irish side could begin to transform their attack and midfield with players that they already have....
        Last edited by Daithi; 10-October-2011, 11:39.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

BOD has the skill set to be a world class IC, defensively solid, turns over a lot of opposition ball, decent kicking game, can do distance and can do delicate, short passing is good (long passing can be hit and miss), is a nightmare to defend because of the low centre of gravity, ability to twist past or under people and he still has the eye for a gap. The other thing is you cannot take your eye off him, meaning moving him in 1 would create even more space for those outside. He's also in a position there to help bring through the next OCs and train them up on the park and guide them. It's also worth pointing out he may not start at IC but he plays a lot of rugby for Ireland and Leinster stepping in one off the breakdown and for good reason.

In terms of IC at Munster I think we utterly missed the chance that Leinster identified with Ronan. He's not powerful enough for back row but he's got a lot of skills, pace, size for a back etc and would have been good there.
          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

I cant believe that after watching Bod put his body through the mill and back that some are considering that he carry on and move to 12. His shoulder is f&&ked and Its looking like he will call it a day.
            Ireland need to start a long term plan for getting lads into the vacant spots.
            There isnt another Bod out there and maybe there never will but players do have the habit of turning up ala Conor Murray Sob and Ross who werent really 1st choice last year.
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Extremely disappointing to have been proved right on the half backs selection, the cause of all our problems on Saturday morning and throughout the last two years(England 6n and Australia being the exception). This is just another example of the dreadful selection policies of Declan kidney and for that he should go. Thanks for the slam, now on your bike.

Comment

So it would appear that the answers to Irelands problems are to find a Warburton/Pocock/McCaw style 7 and move O'Brien to 12...
                Last edited by The Blackness; 10-October-2011, 12:00. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                  I cant believe that after watching Bod put his body through the mill and back that some are considering that he carry on and move to 12. His shoulder is f&&ked and Its looking like he will call it a day.
                  Ireland need to start a long term plan for getting lads into the vacant spots.
                  There isnt another Bod out there and maybe there never will but players do have the habit of turning up ala Conor Murray Sob and Ross who werent really 1st choice last year.
                  No chance, the guy is a hero but his time is spent. This isn't even a debate as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we can get another season out of him at 13 but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy View Post
                    Extremely disappointing to have been proved right on the half backs selection, the cause of all our problems on Saturday morning and throughout the last two years(England 6n and Australia being the exception). This is just another example of the dreadful selection policies of Declan kidney and for that he should go. Thanks for the slam, now on your bike.
                    The real Irish problems were at midfield & BR. You know this full well.
                    Darcy proved that he is the biggest waster to don a 12 jersey. Utterly useless & Kidney has a lot to answer playing him at 12 consistently.

Comment

Agree with you Toby
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I blame having to listen to Donal Lenihan, Sucks the positive atmosphere right out of a room. Painfull to listen to him.
                        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

See my comment below:

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                            The real Irish problems were at midfield & BR. You know this full well.
                            Darcy proved that he is the biggest waster to don a 12 jersey. Utterly useless & Kidney has a lot to answer playing him at 12 consistently.
                            Yes deff problems in those areas but to a man we never turned up with the agression and hate required.

Comment

Irelands problems are predominantly in their heads. They've shown on countless occasions they can go toe to toe with the best in the world but they wouldn't string a daisy chain together never mind a sustained run of three or four tough matches. Our best rugby appears when perception is we haven't a hope. Our worst rugby appears when we are supposed to win or stroll a game. It's the same provincially. Most recently the second half of the Heineken cup final and quins in thomond. Leinster were perceived to be dead and buried and they exploded in that second half. Munster were supposed to manage quins and look how that ended. Much and all as I love this Irish team and am proud of them their biggest hindrance is our expectation of them. They struggle under that weight
                              I am the million man.

Comment

I agree that D'arcy was not up it. Another failing of Kidney, only have Wallace in reserve, a weaker, poorer player. But we could have carried him as we have through some very good performances this year. But Kidney went with the little sister at 10 for his kicking and game management. This made the midfield match up extraordinarily imbalanced and forced him to select a rookie at nine, who as clear as day didnt have the required experience for this level, due to his physicality.

O'Gara went on to give probably his worst performance in an Ireland jersey. Turned over two or three times in the opposition 22, turned down place kicks and kicked brutally from hand. All I said before the Italian game came true, the backrow and centres would be shown up due to the 10's inadequacies. just a shame it was a match too late.

Comment

Working...
                                X