Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games that aren't important enough to have their own thread thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCloud
    replied
    Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
    Just got a text from a Welsh friend saying "Bet Gaddafi wishes James Hook was holding that gun..... he'd still be shooting"....
    :)

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    Just got a text from a Welsh friend saying "Bet Gaddafi wishes James Hook was holding that gun..... he'd still be shooting"....

Leave a comment:

• Dowlinz
    replied
    For all the stick crowds were giving him, targetting from player after player and the whole frustration that must have been pent up in his own head from a lot of silly, avoidable errors I must say I've been really impressed with Quades temperament. Even when down he could still back himself to do something special and always looked like a threat with ball in hand.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
    Quade Cooper faces cruciate surgery

Rugby: Australia's Quade Cooper finally received a standing ovation at the rugby World Cup but it was sympathetic applause that rang out as he limped off the pitch injured in the Wallabies' third-place playoff against Wales.
    The immediate fear was the New Zealand-born flyhalf had damaged his anterior cruciate ligaments which would leave him sidelined for up to six months and he was already on crutches when he picked up his bronze medal after Australia's 21-18 victory over the Welsh.
    "We haven't had any medical opinion on it yet but having had suffered it myself and witnessed the incident, I suspect it's a ruptured ACL," said Australia coach Robbie Deans.
    "Quade was okay, he's aware of a significant injury but with technology these days he'll be back and good to go. These days you end up with an even stronger ACL after surgery."
    Lauded for his role in Queensland Reds triumphant Super rugby campaign, and then Australia's first successful Tri-Nations campaign for a decade, Cooper was expected to be one of the standout players of the tournament and central to the Wallabies' hopes of spoiling the hosts' World Cup party.
    The 23-year-old Maori, born and raised in Tokoroa in New Zealand's North Island, was quickly dubbed "public enemy number one" by local media and boos rang out whenever he touched the ball.
    Whether that unsettled him or not, he had an uninspiring campaign culminating in a error-ridden display as the Wallabies were overpowered by the All Blacks in the semi-finals last week.
    In a non-World Cup year he might have been expected to have been on the shortlist for World Player of the Year but nobody was surprised when his name was absent when the six nominees were announced this week.
    Australia were attacking close to the Wales line in the 21st minute when Cooper tried to step off his right foot and his knee just gave away, leaving him crumpled in agony on the Eden Park grass.
    Fullback Kurtley Beale, Cooper's halfback partner Will Genia, and his captain at provincial and test level James Horwill also all ended up hobbling off the pitch as Australia secured third place and a first win at Eden Park since 1986.
    "Bad luck with Quadey, he'll have to get some scans, hopefully it's not too bad but it doesn't look good at the moment," said Berrick Barnes, who moved to outhalf after Cooper's injury and won the man of the match award.
    "Stoked for the boys, we did it tough there, sort of last man standing there at the end."
    Not QC's biggest fan but hope the injury is not too bad and he is back playing soon, apart from anything else there will be one contributor who might well be sitting Shiva until he returns!?! Seriously though I hope the injury is not as bad as it looks, he is a great talent and the game will be the poorer without him playing.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
    On reflection and seeing Wales lose their 3rd game its difficult to acknowledge that they're really much better than we thought going into this. They've lost to all of South Africa, Australia and France while perhaps being fortunate to play a tired Samoa outfit on an unfair schedule. The only real abnormalities in the entire tournaments results revolve around ourselves both beating Australia and losing to Wales, I think the angle of us being ****e in the latter encounter rather than the Welsh being particularly good is a more accurate one.
    I agree with alot of that Downlinz. Our win against Aus was the outstanding performance of the RWC aside from NZ who are in a different league. Wouldn't say we were sh**e but we were not playing at our best against the Welsh but still think we would have beaten them if we had got the bonus point against the USA, but anyway. The way the Welsh are going on you would think they actually believe they are the best in the world. We will see come 6 nations time but wouldn't be surprised if they only beat Italy, wonder what price you would get on that!?!

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by McCloud View Post
    hyperextension of the knee according to rte.
    Quade Cooper faces cruciate surgery

Rugby: Australia's Quade Cooper finally received a standing ovation at the rugby World Cup but it was sympathetic applause that rang out as he limped off the pitch injured in the Wallabies' third-place playoff against Wales.
    The immediate fear was the New Zealand-born flyhalf had damaged his anterior cruciate ligaments which would leave him sidelined for up to six months and he was already on crutches when he picked up his bronze medal after Australia's 21-18 victory over the Welsh.
    "We haven't had any medical opinion on it yet but having had suffered it myself and witnessed the incident, I suspect it's a ruptured ACL," said Australia coach Robbie Deans.
    "Quade was okay, he's aware of a significant injury but with technology these days he'll be back and good to go. These days you end up with an even stronger ACL after surgery."
    Lauded for his role in Queensland Reds triumphant Super rugby campaign, and then Australia's first successful Tri-Nations campaign for a decade, Cooper was expected to be one of the standout players of the tournament and central to the Wallabies' hopes of spoiling the hosts' World Cup party.
    The 23-year-old Maori, born and raised in Tokoroa in New Zealand's North Island, was quickly dubbed "public enemy number one" by local media and boos rang out whenever he touched the ball.
    Whether that unsettled him or not, he had an uninspiring campaign culminating in a error-ridden display as the Wallabies were overpowered by the All Blacks in the semi-finals last week.
    In a non-World Cup year he might have been expected to have been on the shortlist for World Player of the Year but nobody was surprised when his name was absent when the six nominees were announced this week.
    Australia were attacking close to the Wales line in the 21st minute when Cooper tried to step off his right foot and his knee just gave away, leaving him crumpled in agony on the Eden Park grass.
    Fullback Kurtley Beale, Cooper's halfback partner Will Genia, and his captain at provincial and test level James Horwill also all ended up hobbling off the pitch as Australia secured third place and a first win at Eden Park since 1986.
    "Bad luck with Quadey, he'll have to get some scans, hopefully it's not too bad but it doesn't look good at the moment," said Berrick Barnes, who moved to outhalf after Cooper's injury and won the man of the match award.
    "Stoked for the boys, we did it tough there, sort of last man standing there at the end."

Leave a comment:

• Dowlinz
    replied
    I wouldn't say theres any team to beat in the 6N. The top 4 sides all look in relatively close company, France would be the ones I'd worry about with undoubtedly the strongest player pool and a new coach who could potentially bring them to a level of consistency we haven't seen from them in some years.

Leave a comment:

• stickman_sa
    replied
    PS - That's not to say that the Welsh aren't a good side, because they are... Indeed, from what I've seen at this RWC, they'll certainly be the team to beat come Six Nations.

Rather, people were praising the "running" sides for making the semis when that was, upon closer inspection, complete ********. NZ are the only side that has run the ball with any kind of consistency to win games and even they've had to learn the value of the dropgoal and a decent kicking game the hard way (say nothing of excellent defence and a solid set-piece...)

Leave a comment:

• stickman_sa
    replied
    I've felt for some time that this Welsh side is overrated as an attacking team.

Sure, they were a man down against France but -- that Mike Phillips break notwithstanding -- they never sufficiently threatened to breakthrough despite oodles of possession. Jamie Roberts is a beast of man, but he's never going to sidestep you. Put him against someone who can can tackle and they'll not create linebreaks in the midfield. (Related: Davies' try against you chaps was some of the most abysmal tackling we've seen all tournament...)

And this is coming from a Saffa, so I know one-dimensional play when I see it ;)

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Just shows that no team (apart from the AB's) can get up to the level required consistently. Wales had a soft week in the leadup to our 1/4 final and we had a bruiser against Italy. They put in a good shift against the French but looked more than tired today. Every team played in fits and starts at this tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Dowlinz
    replied
    On reflection and seeing Wales lose their 3rd game its difficult to acknowledge that they're really much better than we thought going into this. They've lost to all of South Africa, Australia and France while perhaps being fortunate to play a tired Samoa outfit on an unfair schedule. The only real abnormalities in the entire tournaments results revolve around ourselves both beating Australia and losing to Wales, I think the angle of us being ****e in the latter encounter rather than the Welsh being particularly good is a more accurate one.

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    Wales were poor and looked tired. Oz were unreal in the tackling and they had Barnes who controlled things well when Cooper went off. I think Deans should have been playing Barnes at 10 more during the world cup. His solid and there is enough class in the attacking players to do without Cooper.
    agree with this... Wales were tired.... and seem to go to pieces for the first 35 minutes of the second half...

Barnes was excellent.... needs to mind his tackling technique.... but instinctively runs lines beautifully timed...

Leave a comment:

• 99_oK?
    replied
    In fairness it wasn't a bad game to watch, but Wales could/should have won that. Does James Hook ever practice his kicks? A couple of those misses were gimmes; Same as against SA and France in the semi.

On the reffing - are we going to get more of this S14-style stuff (i.e. letting everything go) in the final too.

Leave a comment:

• 3Crowns3Stars
    replied
    I only caught about 2 mins of the first half. Did my eyes deceive me, or was there a dwarf throwing contest out by the sideline? I'm sure I saw Shane Williams flying through the air...

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Wales were poor and looked tired. Oz were unreal in the tackling and they had Barnes who controlled things well when Cooper went off. I think Deans should have been playing Barnes at 10 more during the world cup. His solid and there is enough class in the attacking players to do without Cooper. Feck them letting in the last try as it goosed the handicap bet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X