X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    A lot of (I think fairly lazy) analysis in the press asserting that they used the same route one game plan as Schmidt and therefore people should reflect on their criticism.

But I really don't see it. Yes, they put massive pressure on the gain line. Yes, they had a huge set piece. Yes, they used contestable kicks well.

But they didn't ship the ball to one out runners and send them into brick walls. They were selective about when they carried and broke, but when they did they did it effectively and with continuity.

And they found a way of making the kicking game work, when Ireland's has been repeatedly negated in the last year.
    It is a bit lazy but I do see a lot of similarities between the game SA played, and that employed by Ireland (and England too).

There were differences, as you point out, but the reliance on hugely aggressive defence, set piece dominance, big carries close in, and accurate tactical kicking were all key components. The big difference is that SA and England had the fitness and the size to execute.

Joe Schmidt himself said we were a light-heavyweight team at most, yet he had us trying to play like the big boys. Just madness, especially when some of the lads were getting on a bit too. We also didn’t have a decent tactical kicker in the team. Murray’s box kicks were it.

Munster suffered the same fate trying that stuff against teams like Sarries. At least JVG and co. have recognised it and responded. I’m hopeful that Farrell will too. If not he might have a player revolt on his hands.

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

Joey left UCD to go to Clontarf because he wanted to play at 10, he left Leinster to go to Munster because he wanted to play at 10. I’d not be surprised if he left Ireland to go to France because he wants to play at 10.

thing is, from watching him play, he'd probably be much better at 15.
    He would not last in France as a 10. all he needs is a highlights reel from Sexton’s time there

And perhaps seeing what Barrett can do at 15 for NZ may cause some reflection.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Fair points - Even if we change, do we have the players to play that game?

My big fear is the half backs.The coming weeks in the H Cup will tell us a lot. It would be great if Murray can adapt his play under Larkham. Will Cooney continue to develop and become a real threat to Murray? Can Ross Byrne (unlucky to lose out on a World Cup spot) push on this year? Will JJ finally deliver on his promise? If he does, will Munster be brave and play Carbery at full back?

Joey left UCD to go to Clontarf because he wanted to play at 10, he left Leinster to go to Munster because he wanted to play at 10. I’d not be surprised if he left Ireland to go to France because he wants to play at 10.

thing is, from watching him play, he'd probably be much better at 15.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Sinkler was a massive loss for England. Down a key carrier, Vunipola stepped into part of his role, the scrum went to ****. A big, big loss.

But I think SA would have had too much for them anyway. A lot of (I think fairly lazy) analysis in the press asserting that they used the same route one game plan as Schmidt and therefore people should reflect on their criticism.

But I really don't see it. Yes, they put massive pressure on the gain line. Yes, they had a huge set piece. Yes, they used contestable kicks well.

But they didn't ship the ball to one out runners and send them into brick walls. They were selective about when they carried and broke, but when they did they did it effectively and with continuity.

And they found a way of making the kicking game work, when Ireland's has been repeatedly negated in the last year.

Huge credit to Erasmus I think, and to a hugely fit and committed Boks squad.

Big worries for Ireland though, imo. The levels of performance produced by NZ against us, by England against NZ and by SA against England look like they're playing a different game to us right now.
    Totally agree with this BB.

I'd add that player freshness is really key in these attritional tournaments, & that Ireland underperform consistently at RWCUPS by continuously flogging their top match day squad... funny that hey!?

Yes, I agree that Sinkler was a massive loss, but I thought England look like fatigue had caught up with them also e.g. Billy V, Tulagi, Itoje all looked well below themselves & were easily managed by SA. Also the number of poor passes & handling errors by England made them unrecognisable from the world beaters we watched in the semi. They looked very like Ireland at times, didn't they!?!

Obviously when teams fatigue, they start losing collisions, their top ball carriers get nullified, their handling under pressure breaks down, their set piece falters and the cracks appear. This is what England looked like to me. (As had Ireland looked much more like this v NZ).

Lastly, wrt the lazy analysis in the press apparently asserting that Ireland's gameplan could have succeeded .... cough, ahem, yeah, could they print it on tissue paper to at least make it useful!? :)
    Last edited by Daithi; 3-November-2019, 10:48.

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied

Big worries for Ireland though, imo. The levels of performance produced by NZ against us, by England against NZ and by SA against England look like they're playing a different game to us right now.
    Fair points - Even if we change, do we have the players to play that game?

My big fear is the half backs.The coming weeks in the H Cup will tell us a lot. It would be great if Murray can adapt his play under Larkham. Will Cooney continue to develop and become a real threat to Murray? Can Ross Byrne (unlucky to lose out on a World Cup spot) push on this year? Will JJ finally deliver on his promise? If he does, will Munster be brave and play Carbery at full back?

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

Sinkler was a massive loss for England. Down a key carrier, Vunipola stepped into part of his role, the scrum went to ****. A big, big loss.

But I think SA would have had too much for them anyway. A lot of (I think fairly lazy) analysis in the press asserting that they used the same route one game plan as Schmidt and therefore people should reflect on their criticism.

Huge credit to Erasmus I think, and to a hugely fit and committed Boks squad.

Leave a comment:

• kahalui
    replied
    Class acts

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Absolutely delighted for SA, Felix, Rassie, Aled!
    And scarlet for all the imbecile's here wanting those brexit wakners to win 'cos it would be better for the game'

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post

Joe wouldn't be too happy with your spelling there
    He has more pressing matters to be unhappy about.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

He seems to be more interested in delegating alright, trusting his players and coaches to look after their own role, as opposed to the control freak that is joe smidth
    Joe wouldn't be too happy with your spelling there

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

He seems to be more interested in delegating alright, trusting his players and coaches to look after their own role, as opposed to the control freak that is joe smidth
    He was there during our darkest hour and gave a lot of us hope.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    I wonder do NZ regret beating SA in the first game, they would have had a far easier time losing it...

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Rassie never intended to be very hands on for us, more a DoR. It was only Axel’s sad passing that meant he had to get more involved. Sort of the same thing happened in SA. He must be the most reluctant world class coach around!

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

I thought the second pass in build up to first try was marginally forward . I think if instruction was try or no try it would have been rubbed
    But South Africa were always winning that game. Anthony Watson's boneheaded obstruction was the end of England but they were off the pace from kick off. Complete systems failure and scrum in particular plus individual mistakes meant a piss poor final
    Marginally forward is a hard call to make if you have only a tv at home at your disposal- but I take the point about try no try. Disagree it was poor final- thought it was fascinating until the last 5 mins.

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    I'm not one for getting pics with players or managers, in fact I've never gotten one, but kind of regret not asking rassie when I had opportunity once in thomond.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X