RWC Final 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
    'Awesome' Felix Jones gets high praise from Springbok stars after World Cup triumph

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38657703.html
    Fair play to him- but I’m still very very glad we have the coaching ticket we have now.

Comment

Yes I'm glad it worked out for him. Still think the whole departure of himself and flan was odd, but sometimes a player or a coach just doesn't fit with a particular squad or is right place wrong time. If he goes onto be a top head coach hopefully he comes back to Ireland again.
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
        Yes I'm glad it worked out for him. Still think the whole departure of himself and flan was odd....
        It was, and some of the things that came out (eg Farrell’s comments), made it seem a very odd place to be. I think they were both good guys, hard working, but because if circumstances were pressed into roles they just didn’t have the experience to cope with when things got difficult. I hope they both go on to great things.

Comment

Jacques Nienaber has posted a Twitter video of the four ex-Munster lads singing SUAF with the trophy on a rooftop bus somewhere.

@jacnienaber

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Thats absolutely class... I just heard it now online....
            fair play to them...
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jacnienaber/stat...207707136?s=09

Comment

Daily Mail not happy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...-children.html

Comment

Any chance of a brief précis for those of us unwilling to give the Daily Heil a click?
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                    Any chance of a brief précis for those of us unwilling to give the Daily Heil a click?
                    Ripping off their medals. Standing arms crossed and scowling as the South Africans were presented with theirs.

Failing to bow in unison by way of courteous farewell to the Japanese people who had bestowed upon them the privilege of playing on such a magnificent stage.
                    Pointedly refusing to applaud the referee who they thereby had the brass neck to try to blame for a defeat which was nobody's fault but their own

It is the last image which stays with us the longest and for millions of sports-lovers in this country the lingering memory of England at the Rugby World Cup is that of a sullen, sulking, spoiled bunch of over-grown children.
                    Bad losers doesn't cover it. Petulance doesn't come close. Disappointment is nowhere near an excuse for letting themselves down, letting us down, worst of all letting our nation down.

The rugby brotherhood, as is its wont, has spent the best part of a week trying to pass off this betrayal of grace with an airy wave of the hand and gushings of sympathy for their anguish at losing the biggest match of their lives.

Pass the sick bag. If this is the worst that ever happens to them they should count themselves very fortunate indeed.
                    Rugby used to be steeped in good sportsmanship, compassion in victory and, perhaps most importantly of all, generosity in defeat.
                    First and foremost, it was about playing the game. Followed by flagons of companionship downed by winners and losers together.

That respect has given way to self-serving ego and now, apparently, to the kind of money which is blamed for football's malaise.
                    Four of England's so-called stars - captain Owen Farrell, Maro Itoje and the Vunipola brothers - are key beneficiaries of the salary-cap scandal which has brought rugby's super-club Saracens crashing down beneath huge points deductions and fines.
                    The investigation into this case was led by Sportsmail and it is disturbing that the findings of the official inquiry were delayed to prevent unsettling England's World Cup campaign. How did that work out, gentlemen?

In light of this disgrace it is difficult not to suspect that much of the team's brattishness was rooted in the loss of the £82,000 bonuses each stood to pocket had they become world champions.

That is no justification, either, for their surly behaviour. Nor for the grudging, back-handed congratulations to the South Africans which had to be dragged out of them by the post-match interviewers. You know how it went: 'Well that's the way choose to play but ok they did it well.' New Zealand did not conduct themselves like that when England beat them in the semi-final.

Even though Farrell had smirked his insult at their Haka, the All Blacks smiled, embraced the victors, wished them well for the final and signed off from Japan by lining up for that traditional bow to their charming hosts. As did pretty well all the other teams.

Class.

And remember, the Kiwis lost the World Cup. England merely failed to win it, yet were bitter to boot.

That is the miserable impression they left behind in a country which not only put on a brilliant tournament but, to even greater surprise, offered more than England to the future of a game they have come late to love.

The rugby Japan played, at such lightning speed of hand and foot that it looked like a man-size Nintendo game, brought a new dimension to this sport. One which the old power-houses of Europe and the rest of the Southern Hemisphere will have to add to their repertoire if they are to stay ahead of the game.
                    England ended up an inferior version of South Africa's muscularity, energy, brute strength and physicality, which is the core of both their traditions. That, by the way, despite a starting pack heavier than the Springboks....

The Springboks were a different style proposition to the All Blacks. They were empowered also by a far higher sense of purpose.

Rallied by their first black captain, South Africa's most racially integrated team yet were playing not just for their third World Cup but for the unity of their divided, strife torn nation, striving to inspire a belief that anything is possible for all to achieve. Even those from the poorest townships.

This was a lofty ambition which England failed utterly to comprehend in their hour of defeat. When Itoje called this the worst night of his life he had no understanding of Siya Kolisi saying that he grew up dreaming not of lifting the Webb Ellis Trophy but of where his next meal might come from.

As for the head coach, Jones set the preening example. The sly digs at his old nemesis Warren Gatland, the smug grins after the semi-final, the false aura of invincibility, all ended in him being out-coached by South Africa coach Rassie Erasmus.

And while we're at it, Mr Jones, where was Danny Cipriani when the critical moment came with England desperately needing to find a stroke of genius?
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

F*ck me, I've no great love for the England rugby team nor for Saracens in particular, but this reeks of someone relishing the chance to stick the knife in and give it a good oul' twist for good measure. You can be sure that if England had prevailed, the issue of the Saracens finances wouldn't have got a mention and the team would all have been once-in-a-generation heroes who are a shining example to today's youth.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        F*ck me, I've no great love for the England rugby team nor for Saracens in particular, but this reeks of someone relishing the chance to stick the knife in and give it a good oul' twist for good measure. You can be sure that if England had prevailed, the issue of the Saracens finances wouldn't have got a mention and the team would all have been once-in-a-generation heroes who are a shining example to today's youth.
                        I felt exactly the same when I read it - twisting that knife into them
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

I felt exactly the same when I read it - twisting that knife into them
                          Largely deserved though- and nothing there we haven’t said here. I’d almost read another article in that paper after that.

Comment

Oh believe me, I’ve no love for Sarries. Just surprised to see an English paper turn on them so forcefully

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                              Oh believe me, I’ve no love for Sarries. Just surprised to see an English paper turn on them so forcefully
                              They did behave badly after the final though. When you’re beaten like that you show respect, you don’t spit the dummy. I’d have been ashamed if our lads acted like that.

Jones is a prick and sets a bad example for his team, which doesn’t help.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

They did behave badly after the final though. When you’re beaten like that you show respect, you don’t spit the dummy. I’d have been ashamed if our lads acted like that.

Jones is a prick and sets a bad example for his team, which doesn’t help.
                                They are great when they’re winning- but no class.

Comment

Working...
                                X