RWC Final 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RWC Final 2019

Rassie and Felix taking on Eddie and his ego.

The bookies say England.

Sor Eddie to you
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Yeah, you'd never know. Yes, England look the (far) better side, & SA have already lost to NZ, at the group stage, who England beat so comprehensively at the weekend, but SA can play good cup rugby when they want to. Yes they weren't good v Wales, but they were good enough, and they were very good v NZ & beat them earlier in the year also. They're very well coached (as are England tbf) , and they can play cup rugby (I.e. low/no error, pressure & territory ), so if they get their nose ahead early, or England pick up a card or whatever, you wouldn't know!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I appreciate that semi finals are for winning but the rugby South Africa play is dismal to watch. At times yesterday it reminded me of Munster vs Saracens in Lansdowne Rd under Rassie. They just have a better pack. I don't think South Africa winning would do anything positive for the game in general as it is based purely on power with players happier to not have possession. Never thought I would type these words but I hope that England win

Comment

Originally posted by Cozman06 View Post
          I appreciate that semi finals are for winning but the rugby South Africa play is dismal to watch. At times yesterday it reminded me of Munster vs Saracens in Lansdowne Rd under Rassie. They just have a better pack. I don't think South Africa winning would do anything positive for the game in general as it is based purely on power with players happier to not have possession. Never thought I would type these words but I hope that England win
          The English game is based purely on power as well, they just add a little more to it, but it’s based on a rampant backrow with Itoje, Mako and Tuilagi putting in the hits.

The way that SA dealt with japan was an eye opener, they did exactly what we should have adapted to and done but couldn’t / wouldn’t. They ground japan down.

Both sides are playing to their strengths, which is essentially strength but SA have some answers for Tuilagi with de Allende and Itoje with Etzebeth.

Comment

think this will be far closer then most pundits are tipping . England were fantastic against NZ but I felt NZ played into their hands slightly and once they were having troubles at the line out it was game over really . South Africa pack much more able to deal with England's so could be down to how SA play englands rush defence . should be fascinating if not exactly a joy to watch . If England get a fast start like Saturday the result will be the same IMO

Comment

Originally posted by padders View Post
              think this will be far closer then most pundits are tipping . England were fantastic against NZ but I felt NZ played into their hands slightly and once they were having troubles at the line out it was game over really . South Africa pack much more able to deal with England's so could be down to how SA play englands rush defence . should be fascinating if not exactly a joy to watch . If England get a fast start like Saturday the result will be the same IMO
              SA have done an excellent job of killing momentum and stopping the opposition playing fast Rugby. In the QF vs japan the first half felt like it went on for way more than an hour. Every set piece had a player getting attention. I must look up the stats but I’m sure SA are playing the clock and slowing the game down to a pace that suits them perfectly.

Comment

South Africa I suspect will do to England what Wales did in the 6 Nations.

Comment

Garces has the final. My instinct is that a controversial refereeing decision will have some part to play in the result. Although I don’t think he favours either of the teams - breakdown will be a mess.

edit - my prediction is that Itoje will be sent off for a dangerous no arms clear out in a ruck.
                  Last edited by The Last Stand; 29th-October-2019, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                    South Africa I suspect will do to England what Wales did in the 6 Nations.
                    I think that’s certainly the way to play them- though Wales at home against England gets a welsh fire going like nothing else. Against NZ, SA couldn’t quite keep it up and eventually lost out to creativity, they will have more difficulty with England, unless they can rile them up. Rassie is a clever coach- it will be fascinating viewing, but probably not one for the uninitiated.

Comment

Did Jack Nowell get caught up in the tumbleweed?
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                        Did Jack Nowell get caught up in the tumbleweed?
                        The type of player who'd do well against the saffers, makes yards out of nothing.
                        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

England have been one of the best sides to watch in the competition, they have been put under pressure in games and responded brilliantly. For my money New Zealand played into England’s hands by not contesting the breakdown and fanning across the pitch, dont think South Africa will make the same mistake. Much like Itoje a number of their forward’ s entry into the breakdown is often on the margins of what is legal. They have the advantage of playing under Garces in the semi, although their record in games he has refereed is a lot worse than England’s. I expect they’ll try to make the breakdown a complete mess, slow the ball down and reduce the game to a grind fest. I think England can pay the grunt game just as well as them in fairness. If England keep the recycle time low and play with the same flair they showed at the weekend can’t see South Africa being within 20 points to be honest.
                          Jones is a more experienced international coach than Erasmus. He has been there and done it all. This is the only box he hasn’t ticked internationally as a head coach (bar winning a series against the Lions). Another ex teacher who is very good at getting his ideas across and whose team are buying into it and really playing for him. I think that experience will tell in the end. Would prefer a NH team to win it so will be rooting for England. If England win they will have beaten all the big 4 of the southern hemisphere, no one can say they don’t deserve it.

Comment

Myself and (Dr)ick of this parish will be at this game. Sucks to be you.

Comment

Originally posted by Phileas Frog View Post
                              Myself and (Dr)ick of this parish will be at this game. Sucks to be you.

It will suck to be you if the chariot prevails and you have to listen to the one line of the same song for 9 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X