Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Munster and promoting tier 2 rugby

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Munster and promoting tier 2 rugby

    With the world cup almost over, the topic of tier 2 nations and the glass ceiling that exists in rugby for 3.5 of the 4 years in a world cup cycle is becoming more of an issue.

    ​​​​​​Are there things Munster can do as an organisation to assist these nations and if so what are the possibilities.

    Some thoughts I had
    -With the Celtic Cup over by November, the club does need to provide some of its players with more opportunities - there are semi pro leagues in Europe crying out for a greater standard of player, thinking Spain, Romania and Russia in particular. Would a loan scheme be possible and mutually beneficial. I know this could hit the AIL but maybe an appropriate balance could be made.
    -friendlies, Munster A playing some of these clubs or possibly amalgamated domestic based xvs. Munster is a huge rugby brand, may result in reciprocal support and interest from team toured.
    -Make one of our NIQ s a tier 2 player. Trickier as they are needed particularly when internationals are ongoing,

    Any other ideas? Obviously the Irfu supporting these nations in a more meaningful way by supporting the creation of club and country paths is the most important thing but failing that I think Munster stepping up would be a mutually benefitting thing


    #2
    Originally posted by tiernster View Post
    With the world cup almost over, the topic of tier 2 nations and the glass ceiling that exists in rugby for 3.5 of the 4 years in a world cup cycle is becoming more of an issue.

    ​​​​​​Are there things Munster can do as an organisation to assist these nations and if so what are the possibilities.

    Some thoughts I had
    -With the Celtic Cup over by November, the club does need to provide some of its players with more opportunities - there are semi pro leagues in Europe crying out for a greater standard of player, thinking Spain, Romania and Russia in particular. Would a loan scheme be possible and mutually beneficial. I know this could hit the AIL but maybe an appropriate balance could be made.
    -friendlies, Munster A playing some of these clubs or possibly amalgamated domestic based xvs. Munster is a huge rugby brand, may result in reciprocal support and interest from team toured.
    -Make one of our NIQ s a tier 2 player. Trickier as they are needed particularly when internationals are ongoing,

    Any other ideas? Obviously the Irfu supporting these nations in a more meaningful way by supporting the creation of club and country paths is the most important thing but failing that I think Munster stepping up would be a mutually benefitting thing

    I think the IRFU could well afford to offer to 4 unions (say Portugal, Germany, Spain, Romania) that the winners of their club championship could play the provinces A sides in a round robin completion and perhaps have the national sides also play the provinces full teams during the November internationals. Should be able to make that kind of arrangement revenue neutral, give players more opportunities and win some goodwill with emerging unions.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by tiernster View Post
      With the world cup almost over, the topic of tier 2 nations and the glass ceiling that exists in rugby for 3.5 of the 4 years in a world cup cycle is becoming more of an issue.

      ​​​​​​Are there things Munster can do as an organisation to assist these nations and if so what are the possibilities.

      Some thoughts I had
      -With the Celtic Cup over by November, the club does need to provide some of its players with more opportunities - there are semi pro leagues in Europe crying out for a greater standard of player, thinking Spain, Romania and Russia in particular. Would a loan scheme be possible and mutually beneficial. I know this could hit the AIL but maybe an appropriate balance could be made.
      -friendlies, Munster A playing some of these clubs or possibly amalgamated domestic based xvs. Munster is a huge rugby brand, may result in reciprocal support and interest from team toured.
      -Make one of our NIQ s a tier 2 player. Trickier as they are needed particularly when internationals are ongoing,

      Any other ideas? Obviously the Irfu supporting these nations in a more meaningful way by supporting the creation of club and country paths is the most important thing but failing that I think Munster stepping up would be a mutually benefitting thing

      Munster needs to support more within the actual province than going abroad. Nice thought though.
      Celtic cup has seen lot of club/ail players involved. Why not let them simply play AIL. We need more people to support all our clubs and have that better long term in all areas.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        Munster needs to support more within the actual province than going abroad. Nice thought though.
        Celtic cup has seen lot of club/ail players involved. Why not let them simply play AIL. We need more people to support all our clubs and have that better long term in all areas.
        Far better for elite player development to have them play and train together. Celtic cup, in my view, was a wasted opportunity, by doing exactly as you described it, playing club/ail players when it should have been used to get a players to push on, and stake a claim for a squad place in the senior side.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

          Far better for elite player development to have them play and train together. Celtic cup, in my view, was a wasted opportunity, by doing exactly as you described it, playing club/ail players when it should have been used to get a players to push on, and stake a claim for a squad place in the senior side.
          ina world cup year it's quite different and squad players are better off up with first XV training and being more involved at that level though. Coaches clearly see work they do training is better than Celtic cup

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
            ina world cup year it's quite different and squad players are better off up with first XV training and being more involved at that level though. Coaches clearly see work they do training is better than Celtic cup
            If they don’t play it’s hard to see the effect of all the great work done in training.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

              I think the IRFU could well afford to offer to 4 unions (say Portugal, Germany, Spain, Romania) that the winners of their club championship could play the provinces A sides in a round robin completion and perhaps have the national sides also play the provinces full teams during the November internationals. Should be able to make that kind of arrangement revenue neutral, give players more opportunities and win some goodwill with emerging unions.
              And they need to resurrect stuff like the Churchill cup. Tier 1 A sides playing the tier 2 countries is good for everybody.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                And they need to resurrect stuff like the Churchill cup. Tier 1 A sides playing the tier 2 countries is good for everybody.
                they should but Georgia need more games against us, Scotland, Italy in November and need some tests against stronger sides at home in Tbilisi as well as away all the time

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  they should but Georgia need more games against us, Scotland, Italy in November and need some tests against stronger sides at home in Tbilisi as well as away all the time
                  The harsh truth is that the probably make more money playing in Italy in Rome than playing them in Tblisi. 5/10% cut of the TV and gate in Rome is better than 95% in Tblisi. Though I'd personally love to head out there sometime I hear its a great town.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X