Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWC19 -The Semi-Final Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

    If it’s the stats referred to here you are talking about they are utter nonsense. Our midfield rarely functioned, hard for any wing to thrive under those circumstances. Also helps having an attack minded FB inside you. This is also why I think the criticism of Stockdale is a bit unfair. I realise that Conway (and Larmour) did a bit better, but both are better broken field runners, and worth think about who they were playing with, and against.

    They aren’t utter nonsense, they are to be taken in the context that our team malfunctioned therefore the wingers were never going to do much. However the highest number of turnovers is a poor stat.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Gaillimh View Post

      Who did we leave behind in Ireland? We know the first 15 were over-flogged and the form players (Larmour, Farrell, Conway) were not played, but who should have been in the 31 that wasn't? Devin Toner? Would he have helped us beat NZ?
      John Cooney has been named in the Pro 14 team of the year two years running and has been very impressive in the champions cup as well. He was MOTM for Ulster again, last night. Not only should he have been picked ahead of McGrath, there should have been genuine competition between him and Murray for the 9 shirt.

      Stuart McCloskey was named at 12 in the Pro 14 team of the year and was the best player on the pitch against Leinster in the Champions cup quarter final. He was playing better rugby than a fit-Henshaw, let alone an unfit-Henshaw.

      Then you have the guys in the squad like Kilcoyne, Ruddock, Beirne, Farrell, Conway and Larmour - who were playing considerably better rugby than those selected in the starting team. It's hard to tell whether they would have helped us beat NZ or even if they would have helped us be closer, but picking none of them sent out the wrong message.
      Last edited by Mumhain; 26th-October-2019, 15:49.

      Comment


        Originally posted by lawrence View Post



        The number of players that some teams have brought into the teams in the last 12 months is interesting.

        You could have picked the Irish team 12 or 24 months ago and you wouldn’t have been far wrong, if SOB wasn’t injured he would probably have travelled.
        I wonder how much the team dynamic factors into selection conservatism since ultimately it's a problem faced by every Irish coach, not just Schmidt. With only 4 provinces it wouldn't be unheard of for cliques and player power influences to exist.

        There was an aside from an ex-Leinster player (I forget which one) on OTB during the Six Nations after Sean Cronin was dropped form the squad and the player was asked if the Italy game could cost Cronin his place in the RWC squad to which he indicated something along the lines of "that wouldn't be popular with the Leinster players, there'd be people knocking at Schmidt's doors" kind of thing.
        When Toner was left out of the squad and Ringrose dropped we also saw some very recent ex-professionals turning against Schmidt which is troubling if players in the squad are feeling the same where it's almost a political matter and divisive within the camp to drop certain players.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

          I wonder how much the team dynamic factors into selection conservatism since ultimately it's a problem faced by every Irish coach, not just Schmidt. With only 4 provinces it wouldn't be unheard of for cliques and player power influences to exist.

          There was an aside from an ex-Leinster player (I forget which one) on OTB during the Six Nations after Sean Cronin was dropped form the squad and the player was asked if the Italy game could cost Cronin his place in the RWC squad to which he indicated something along the lines of "that wouldn't be popular with the Leinster players, there'd be people knocking at Schmidt's doors" kind of thing.
          When Toner was left out of the squad and Ringrose dropped we also saw some very recent ex-professionals turning against Schmidt which is troubling if players in the squad are feeling the same where it's almost a political matter and divisive within the camp to drop certain players.
          That’s no excuse for a coach. You could just as easily argue that not dropping him will piss off the non-Leinster lads.

          Schmidt had all of his players running scared and his selection decisions were entirely his own. He’s just very conservative and most of the new guys that came in on his watch only got their shot because of injury.

          Comment


            Won’t be long before someone comes along with the stat about how many players got game time in the 6 nations while they completely ignore the fact about Murray and Kearney started every game against Italy.


            On the plus side, Killer, Farrell and Conway are coming back to town without injury and in brilliant form, while POM, CJ are Not injured and Kleyn, John Ryan, Carbery, Earls, Scannell and whoever else I’m forgetting have played very little and should be raring to go knowing that the Irish side has a new coach that needs impressing.

            Comment


              Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
              Any predictions folks?

              I think it will be an England - South Africa final.....
              1 down.....
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

              Comment


                Was impressed by Steve at the press conference - fairly magnanimous. Poor Kieran Read - why did they keep asking him questions when he was clearly barely holding it together.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-LBOhkYQDQ
                Believe.

                Comment


                  I’m gonna have to leave off the predicting for tomorrow. I Really didn’t see england being able to put in that level
                  of sustained pressure, or the AB’s being unable to find a way to score.

                  The loss of Kolbe and the return of Jonathan Davies are big, but this game won’t be decided by backs.

                  Will the thug moriarty be able to contain his thuggish tendencies? I reckon vermullen and him will have a right tussle.

                  Which SH is going to have the better game? This is probably a straight shootout for the best 9 of the competition and will be great to see them go head to head.

                  Can josh Adams add to his try scoring for the competition? His job has been made easier with Kolbe gone?

                  will garces allow his usual free for all at the breakdown?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Gaillimh View Post
                    Was impressed by Steve at the press conference - fairly magnanimous. Poor Kieran Read - why did they keep asking him questions when he was clearly barely holding it together.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-LBOhkYQDQ

                    because journalists are cunIs.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                      Won’t be long before someone comes along with the stat about how many players got game time in the 6 nations while they completely ignore the fact about Murray and Kearney started every game against Italy.


                      On the plus side, Killer, Farrell and Conway are coming back to town without injury and in brilliant form, while POM, CJ are Not injured and Kleyn, John Ryan, Carbery, Earls, Scannell and whoever else I’m forgetting have played very little and should be raring to go knowing that the Irish side has a new coach that needs impressing.
                      Agree fully except we rest our players until they are rusty - I’d be playing 5/6 v Ulster f the cotton wool

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by lawrence View Post


                        because journalists are cunIs.
                        was going to say vultures, but yeah, both are apt descriptions. Its one thing to get a soundbite from the captain, its another to keep after him.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

                          was going to say vultures, but yeah, both are apt descriptions. Its one thing to get a soundbite from the captain, its another to keep after him.
                          Reid has had a long and distinguished career. This was probably his last game in Black but he’s just gonna Hold
                          off the announcement until some quiet Tuesday maybe in January because he isn’t one for the spotlight and for a remarkably shy lad he has done a great job as captain of the hardest team in the world to captain.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                            Won’t be long before someone comes along with the stat about how many players got game time in the 6 nations while they completely ignore the fact about Murray and Kearney started every game against Italy.


                            On the plus side, Killer, Farrell and Conway are coming back to town without injury and in brilliant form, while POM, CJ are Not injured and Kleyn, John Ryan, Carbery, Earls, Scannell and whoever else I’m forgetting have played very little and should be raring to go knowing that the Irish side has a new coach that needs impressing.
                            If I'm Andy Farrell, the first thing I'm doing is getting the word out that every spot is up for grabs. The issue of the IRFU not wanting to have a poor 6N and thus they should gradually phase out the older guys just went out the window. If England can summon up that type of performance or anything close to it, Ireland will get thumped hard if they go with the similar starting XV and tactics they've employed in 2019 while Wales would probably beat them as well. To keep wasting the prime years of some of these younger players to stay with the tried and trusted is inane. If the tried and trusted can hold down their spots by showing good form, fine. If they are in there despite being out of form while other guys are playing out of their skins, then Farrell is going to have a bumpy road as coach.

                            Comment


                              England were incredible today, from minute 1 they dominated, they look so motivated and well drilled. Jones deserves a lot of credit for what he has put together here, Eng have a fantastic blend at the moment. Jones has competition for places throughout his squad and he’s shown he’s not afraid to rotate even after big wins, he’s also shown that months out from a WC that he’s willing to drop guys who he thinks won’t be upto it come the WC.

                              Tactically Eng have nailed it also, defensively Tuilagi shoots off the line to block the wide ball and force the first receiver back into the traffic where their big men are waiting to dominate the collisions and their flankers will be ready to poach. It’s very clever, they can play both these open sides as the rest of their pack can all carry ball very well. They also have 3 islanders in their side who are incredibly physical, strong men, there’s no substitute for their ball carrying ability.

                              Englands variety in attack and use of kicks also keeps their opponents guessing, the variety from Ford Farrell and slade coupled with their really strong pack and really fast outside backs is a lethal combination.

                              They will take some beating, a truly depressing yet predictable state of affairs for us at the moment, the Orcs making Nz look bereft of ideas and driving them back down the pitch for the last 2’mins and us leaving the WC talking about the “changing of the guard” after Rob looks like an amateur compared to young Larmour.
                              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by lawrence View Post


                                because journalists are cunIs.
                                Trump is looking for a new press sec- you would be perfect

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X