The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

There have been a couple of covert suggestions that the refs are biased which are very bad form.

They may not be perfect but they absolutely aren't bent.
    Wouldn't happen in Rugby?
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

There have been a couple of covert suggestions that the refs are biased which are very bad form.

They may not be perfect but they absolutely aren't bent.
      Well to be fair Nige is but we don't hold that against him.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Well to be fair Nige is but we don't hold that against him.
        You can't be saying that
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          I think Joe sees Conway as one of his finishers, very level headed and able to be deployed in a number of positions.

I just cannot see Bob not making the 23 though.

Pray to your deity of choice we are appointed a northern hemi whistleman
          If Bobert doesn’t start he doesn’t make the 23.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

I really don't think it would. You might be able to use bent officials for some types of spot betting, but it surely wouldn't be practical or sensible to bet the farm on a referees ability to influence a match?

I think the description above of Nigel's love of drama is probably closer to the truth.

Most of the criticisms are bizarre anyway. "The refs aren't policing the offside line or the breakdown for Japan" might be true, but how many games have we complained about the exact same thing in for the last couple of years?
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post

If Bobert doesn’t start he doesn’t make the 23.
              Bob starts. Que sera sera
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Given the recent hard times that have befallen Rob Howley I find the rumour all the harder to believe to be honest.

Refs have a tough job, I don't think they have the skillz to skew a result ON TOP of generally running the game.
                I am the million man.

Comment

If we win, the 2 week layoff for NZ will be blamed, if NZ win, their 2 week rest will be given as a factor.
                  Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Given the recent hard times that have befallen Rob Howley I find the rumour all the harder to believe to be honest.

Refs have a tough job, I don't think they have the skillz to skew a result ON TOP of generally running the game.
                    I havn't heard the rumour cb. In the dark on that one which is fine.
                    I hope/wish it wouldn't happen in rugby or any sport but the notion that it couldn't or hasn't happened is pure baloney in my view
                    Last edited by ustix; 15th-October-2019, 14:59.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                      If we win, the 2 week layoff for NZ will be blamed, if NZ win, their 2 week rest will be given as a factor.
                      Ireland looked great v Scotland first game, then the same side looked flat as a pancake just a week later versus Japan.

The front five looked absolutely fupped.... and in conceding scrum penalties, lineout turnovers & collisions ceded the match.

Humidity was cited as a factor but recovery was also clearly the big issue imho.

Why anyone would think it will be any different 7 days after a group game, playing the ABs, with 14 days rest & prep time, in a RWC quarter final is living in dream land imho. There'll maybe be a good 20-30 mins in Ireland, then unfortunately l see the floodgates opening, as the pace of the game & fatigue wear on them . Sorry, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

P.s. none of this will be helped by bookending the side at 2 & 15 with 2 aged past its, with better players fit, available & playing well in the squad. Also the whole front row, & CJ and a few others could have been rested or benched last weekend versus a weak Samoa but this coach was implementing a 'belt & braces 'approach unfortunately. ABs by ~20 imho

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Anyone know if we have lodged an appeal against Bundee's three-match ban?
                        Time for a petition?
                        Jokeshop of misguided administration that his penalty equals that of the Italian neckbreakers.
                        100k signatures from each of Ireland, Samoa and NZ should seal it...
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Ireland looked great v Scotland first game, then the same side looked flat as a pancake just a week later versus Japan.

The front five looked absolutely fupped.... and in conceding scrum penalties, lineout turnovers & collisions ceded the match.

Humidity was cited as a factor but recovery was also clearly the big issue imho.

Why anyone would think it will be any different 7 days after a group game, playing the ABs, with 14 days rest & prep time, in a RWC quarter final is living in dream land imho. There'll maybe be a good 20-30 mins in Ireland, then unfortunately l see the floodgates opening, as the pace of the game & fatigue wear on them . Sorry, I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

P.s. none of this will be helped by bookending the side at 2 & 15 with 2 aged past its, with better players fit, available & playing well in the squad. Also the whole front row, & CJ and a few others could have been rested or benched last weekend versus a weak Samoa but this coach was implementing a 'belt & braces 'approach unfortunately. ABs by ~20 imho
                          With all due disrespect Daithi I never read such a defeatist, pitiful, load of claptrap in all my many days.
                          You've put me off me dinner.

Down with this sort of thing.

Gwan Ireland!!
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Conditions were far better against Samoa - no humidity, nice low temperatures - and will be nice again this weekend.

We have an extra day recovery and we got a lot of key me off the field after 55 minutes, including Best (who played 80 against Scotland).

I’d still prefer we had rested CJ, Ryan and one or two other forwards against Samoa but I am 100% certain they will not be flat against NZ. They may collapse in a heap a week later (if they win) but they’ll give this a good rattle.

Gwan Ireland!

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Barnes will do SA no favours I reckon, and I'm delighted with Nigel. Best we could have hoped for.
                              Nigel will be fine just as long as Sexton keeps his trap buttoned.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Anyone know if we have lodged an appeal against Bundee's three-match ban?
                                Time for a petition?
                                Jokeshop of misguided administration that his penalty equals that of the Italian neckbreakers.
                                100k signatures from each of Ireland, Samoa and NZ should seal it...
                                world cup punishments always are bit off compared to normal punishments imo.
                                bundee was dangerous and I think missing 3 game can be seen as fair

Comment

Working...
                                X