The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

It's consistent with other similar incidents in this RWC.
    Is it though? Compare it with some other offences that got similar bans, like Quill's no-arm shoulder to Farrells head, and I think it's pretty harsh.

When you watch it at full speed, in the time it took for the lad to gather the ball and run straight into Aki, I don't know how anybody could have got low enough to tackle him below the shoulders, or even just got out of the way. They IRFU apparently timed it at 0.2 seconds. That should have been considered mitigation IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

It happened in a split second and Aki made a better attempt at wrapping both arms ( as good a mitigating factor as any, imo) than some of the shoulder on head hits we've seen throughout the competition, most of which only warranted a yellow and no ban.
      Yeah, what BA did was slightly but not significantly worse than what the Samoa hooker got yellow for in the same game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Yeah, what BA did was slightly but not significantly worse than what the Samoa hooker got yellow for in the same game.
        Leave me out of this!
        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

Leave me out of this!
          Haha!

Comment

Luke Fitz was disappointed it was not a lifetime ban along with CJ and Kleyn.

Comment

Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post

long shot I know but looking for tickets to the ireland quarter final, have two tickets for the japan quarterfinal that I could potentially swap!

thanks a lo
              go online to buy on Friday / Sat viagogo.ie .........

Comment

Any news on anyone being called up for Aki?

Comment

Originally posted by DABOSS View Post
                  Any news on anyone being called up for Aki?
                  nobody can. Injury or compassionate reasons are only ways you can replace someone. A banned player cant be replaced

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                    nobody can. Injury or compassionate reasons are only ways you can replace someone. A banned player cant be replaced
                    Thats a bit weird. If a player is unavailable surely the reason is irrelevant? What if you had 10 players banned?

Comment

Thats a bit weird. If a player is unavailable surely the reason is irrelevant? What if you had 10 players banned?
                      its not though. You could theoretically take an opposition player out of competition and you get to replace guy who got banned then. The reason player is unavailable is very relevant.

Comment

Play the game but forfeit the result?
                        or ask the physio and bag man to wear 22 and 23.
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

You probably wouldn't be in the quarter-finals then.
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

There is a meet up arranged to swap tickets for the two QF’s

https://m.facebook.com/events/454737831916570/

Comment

Getting back to Aki..........a few issues:
                              (1) Slow motion is a menace in some incidents. It is ideal in examining if a ball has been grounded or there was a slight knock on but in collisions, slow motion can seriously distort the reality of what happened. In Aki's case, the context was a loose ball which always triggers players diving in etc. Aki's eye was half on trying to gather the ball and when the Samoa player got it he had no time to adjust the contact. That's the a-z of the whole thing.
                              (2) The disciplinary panel's take was biased for 'political' reasons. They regarded Aki's attitude was a 'dominant' tackle i.e. to knock the other player back, so this made a miscalculation more likely. From this they extrapolated that Aki gets the most severe punishment. The 2nd political bias was the policy to take severe action over dangerous tackles. But, and we all know this, if the tackler had been some key NZ player or the like, they would have twisted themselves backwards 3 times over to find mitigation. The exemplary punishments on these situations are handed out to countries who don't have the political clout to push back.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                                Curious call over on Leinsterfans for Joey to cover 9, 10 and maybe 15 too with Lar and Andy or Chris Farrell on the bench also.
                                Is Cronin off the radar? They don't seem to think so...
                                Just shows most Leinster fans dont rate McGrath (JGP is the better scrum half imo).

Cronin has a chance against NZ due to speed/mobility etc

Comment

Working...
                                X