X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

What irish provinces play good running unstructured rugby that utilises the offload etc to any degree of success? If the players cant do it at provincial level how do they do it at international level?
    So there are no good players on teams that don’t beat the championship winners. England should pick onlySaracens, New Zealand only Crusaders? Who would Wales pick? South Africa? France?

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I'm not saying they aren't great, b/c they are; I just hate watching them steamroll teams like those teams aren't even there. The last few years of people saying Sexton and Farrell are right up there with Beauden Barrett makes me laugh my head off. Individually compared, Barrett is head and shoulders above them in every aspect except kicking, and he isn't that far behind. Nobody in their right mind would pick anyone at 10 over him if they had to pick one international fly half and leave every other one off the team sheet completely. He is one of those athletes who makes his sport look easy most of the time he takes the pitch. even that chip he missed today, 9/10 times he collects that and blows by the defense for another huge run. His try was spectacular stuff.

SA has gotten close to them the past two seasons, but tbh, I think the best hope to stop them are the Welsh. there is just something about that team this year where they refuse to lose the matches that matter.
    There was a time sexton was better than BB, but that’s been a few years ago and sexton has been declining while BB is improving. Beauden is easily the best 10 in the world, and NZ have decided the best way to use him is to give him in more space, with more time and the ability to punish teams from FB. He also gets hit less and tackles less, exactly what you want from your playmaker in chief.

The sooner we realise you need two 10’s on the field the better.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

That’s harsh. NZ are amazing to watch, like the dubs in football you just have to admire their near perfection. no errors, accuracy at speed and they handle whatever is thrown at them, you want to be physical they can answer that. You want to kick more they counter. You beat their set piece, it doesn’t matter they destroy you in open space.

By the sounds of it we played our best rugby in between the matches at the world cup, and while the result here is disappointing I don’t think any side is going to get near them during this competition.

it’s disappointing to lose to them, but they are as complete a team that’s playing any sport right now.
    I'm not saying they aren't great, b/c they are; I just hate watching them steamroll teams like those teams aren't even there. The last few years of people saying Sexton and Farrell are right up there with Beauden Barrett makes me laugh my head off. Individually compared, Barrett is head and shoulders above them in every aspect except kicking, and he isn't that far behind. Nobody in their right mind would pick anyone at 10 over him if they had to pick one international fly half and leave every other one off the team sheet completely. He is one of those athletes who makes his sport look easy most of the time he takes the pitch. even that chip he missed today, 9/10 times he collects that and blows by the defense for another huge run. His try was spectacular stuff.

SA has gotten close to them the past two seasons, but tbh, I think the best hope to stop them are the Welsh. there is just something about that team this year where they refuse to lose the matches that matter.
    Last edited by Finnegan79; 20th-October-2019, 02:28.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    What's awful is that i have no idea who I want to win that QF. NZ-England is like the town bully vs. the village asshole. you're just hoping for a complete ****show, although i suppose england would be the easier opponent for whoever comes out of the other side of the draw.
    That’s harsh. NZ are amazing to watch, like the dubs in football you just have to admire their near perfection. no errors, accuracy at speed and they handle whatever is thrown at them, you want to be physical they can answer that. You want to kick more they counter. You beat their set piece, it doesn’t matter they destroy you in open space.

By the sounds of it we played our best rugby in between the matches at the world cup, and while the result here is disappointing I don’t think any side is going to get near them during this competition.

it’s disappointing to lose to them, but they are as complete a team that’s playing any sport right now.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I'd say that Connacht play the best unstructured running rugby. Not many Connacht men in the Ireland XV, eh. Joe does not like that kind of thing.
    the thing with the AB's is that they can do both extremely well. If they want to play tight, they can bash you up the middle, if they want to run and gun, they can do that as well. It takes a masterful performance plus an off day on their part to beat them. SA has managed to be the closest thing to them the past two years, the Wallabies took them in Perth this year but got crushed in NZ, Ireland have the best record recently of any european team, but they are the gold standard. Rugby is a religion down there, the only equivalents i can think of are the USA in basketball or Canada in ice hockey. When they send their best pros, it's a tall order for anyone else to win.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    What's awful is that i have no idea who I want to win that QF. NZ-England is like the town bully vs. the village asshole. you're just hoping for a complete ****show, although i suppose england would be the easier opponent for whoever comes out of the other side of the draw.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied

What irish provinces play good running unstructured rugby that utilises the offload etc to any degree of success? If the players cant do it at provincial level how do they do it at international level?
    I'd say that Connacht play the best unstructured running rugby. Not many Connacht men in the Ireland XV, eh. Joe does not like that kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Mumhain
    replied

Leinster who don't do it nearly as much as they used to, who rely on guys like Cronin to carry out wide, Toner as a 2nd row who can pass the ball to move the point of contact, a 2nd ball carrier in the backrow Ruddock, Conan (or other) as athletic around the park back rowers all players/styles of players that people think shouldn't be in the Irish team.
    Playing heads-up rugby doesn't require you to have an entire forward pack of Sonny Bill Williams'. Implementing the simple 2-4-2 attacking shape, that the likes of England/Australia use, involves a second rower or front-rower taking the ball to the line, with a pull-back pass option available. There is very little complexity involved in this and it is used by a load of junior teams across the country.

I would also take umbrage with your suggestion that the Irish pack's handling is inferior to other teams. Do you really think Itoje and Lawes/Kruis are any better at passing than Ryan and Henderson/Beirne. Are Healy and Furlong any worst at handling the ball than Joe Moody and Nepo Laulala of New Zealand. Joe Moody definitely wouldn't be renowned as a particularly good passer in New Zealand.
    Last edited by Mumhain; 20th-October-2019, 07:46.

Leave a comment:

• Talking Sense
    replied

Nope. Too predictable and stubborn. Jones dumped the dead wood and England are the better for it. Schmidt refused to do so and crash out again.
    If Joe was in Jones shoes Mike Brown and Robshaw would be starting, Geoff Parling too.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

How do you explain Wales’ countless Grand slams despite their clubs having never gone close to being at top table in Europe, I’m all ears
    The answer has been staring us in the face for a long, long time : Gatland is a great coach who can get the best out of his players and isn't afraid to alter things if he has to and Schmidt is a good coach who has had a few great runs. Look at the Wales game against the Wallabies. They won by 4 points. They scored 6 via the drop goal, taking their shots throughout the game. Those points were crucial. Could you imagine Schmidt allowing that in a knockout game ? The last time we saw a drop goal that wasn't a last ditch effort out of this team was 2016 in SA. Yet this has been a team that consistently gets bogged down in the opposing 22 and just bangs ahead with little imagination, although in 2019, even getting there has become increasingly difficult.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X