• Show
Clear All

Nice pic of Kieran Read with Peter & his daughter after the Quarter Final
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DDFF51EF-539C-4F95-9012-9AD54FEE0239.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2581069
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

According to the NZH, she "wasn't as forgiving as her father as she left Read's attempted high-five hanging."

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

I agree with this. Being long term captain was a factor in persisting with a fading Rory Best for this RWC, and tbh, I don't think that served Ireland well at all. An annual appointment of the Irish rugby captain (a bit like the provinces do now) would be much better & flexible imho. They could even rotate it around the leadership group possibly.

POM for captain, as he is by far the outstanding choice for this coming year imho.

P.s. ijwt all players must show they deserve their place buddy. ryan, sexton & even ringrose included!!
        Daithi - There are two players I believe that deserve their places (if fit and unless there form totally drops off a cliff) and that is Ryan and CJ but there has to be a second ball carrier in the backrow with CJ. CJ's best performances recently were v Wales with Conan at 8, v Scotland where Conan played nearly 65 mins at 8, v Samoa where Beirne played 6

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
          POM is not assured of his place in the 23 and giving him the captaincy means you have to pick him even though he may not be up to it; to me that would be a crazy call from Farrell. Same goes for Sexton.

Ryan captain and Murray as vice-captain for me.
          Ryan is a star no doubt but does he need the extra pressure of captaincy at such a young age and so early in his career? I’m not sure he does.

For me PoM absolutely deserves his place (I think Leavy back to 7 for the 6N will bring out the best in Pete and CJ) and he is the obvious call for captain due to his experience and leadership qualities.

This is exacerbated for me because I think Sexton should go now, unfortunately he is completely crocked, we all know how excellent he can be but the mans body is sadly gone and we must look forwards. The same must go for Healy for me, we need to be far more ruthless in moving on from guys who can still offer something but whose time has come. I fear long central contracts impedes such policy, god knows how Rob got one a few years ago.

Henderson let himself down here too, we needed a big WC from Iain and we didn’t get it, shame because he can be world class but I fear he’s the kind of guy who needs to get punched in a ruck to get the best out of him. Beirne should move ahead of him now. I guess you put Scannell in for best but if this Leinster hooker (Kelleher?) who got 3 tries recently continues to impress then he should get a look, he looks physically impressive (was he formerly a prop?).
          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            According to the NZH, she "wasn't as forgiving as her father as she left Read's attempted high-five hanging."
            "Da, he doesn't sound like he's from Caarrk, like. Are ya shure I cin tawlk to 'im"

Comment

Jeez I just watched the first half of Ireland v NZ again, Ireland were really terrible. The mistakes were multiple & woeful: e.g.

- cian healy, robbie henshaw losing ball in contact, etc
              - stockdale, knock on penalty for an ill conceived intercept attempt
              - multiple missed rush tackles in midfield putting ireland's outside defence under savage pressure
              - forwards (Henderson) stacking one side of ruck & leaving other wide open (I mean are these guys really International players?)
              - this poor play leads to 1st scores
              - stockdale going offside at a ruck
              - Rob K badly over running Sexton, crowding him out, (same question!!) leading to a badly spilled ball & try beating any cover
              - Murray spilling ball forward on simple wrap around play ...
              - Earls tackled & dispossessed of the ball out wide
              - Sexton missing touch from a penalty down the line, ffs (same question!?)
              - Ireland then knock on off an untidy tap from Ryan at the ensuing lineout (wtf)
              - Then Ireland finally exert some serious pressure on NZ & force them into giving away a series of multiple penalties, until POM,who played well overall imho, gets one harshly reversed right b4 half time, when we really needed a score tbh...ugh

Yes NZ were excellent, but Ireland's mistakes made them look like fuppin superheroes!! Too easy!!!
              Last edited by Daithi; 23rd-October-2019, 08:04.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I am against POM as captain. He can be outstanding, but his form over the past years has been spotty and I do not think he will be an automatic first choice for Ireland. Also he has problems keeping his cool and is not the best man to interact with a ref.
                That said, I do like to see him for Ireland when he is in top form, and when he is in that mode we do not have a better 6.
                Ryan, as pointed out above, has leadership credentials from the Irish U20s. He always performs. I do not agree with those who say he had a poor RWC. He was a beacon in a Irish team of mediocrity. If his teammates had played as well we would still be in the competition. But he can not be a one man band, and his mates did not step up.
                I think he would be a great leader, but I am not wedded to the notion. I agree on picking a team of form players, not established choices. This means that anyone (including Ryan) should be dropped for a player in better form. Still, since I first saw him play, there has not been a remotely better player to take his place. This lad is something special.
                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                  I am against POM as captain. He can be outstanding, but his form over the past years has been spotty and I do not think he will be an automatic first choice for Ireland. Also he has problems keeping his cool and is not the best man to interact with a ref.
                  That said, I do like to see him for Ireland when he is in top form, and when he is in that mode we do not have a better 6.
                  Ryan, as pointed out above, has leadership credentials from the Irish U20s. He always performs. I do not agree with those who say he had a poor RWC. He was a beacon in a Irish team of mediocrity. If his teammates had played as well we would still be in the competition. But he can not be a one man band, and his mates did not step up.
                  I think he would be a great leader, but I am not wedded to the notion. I agree on picking a team of form players, not established choices. This means that anyone (including Ryan) should be dropped for a player in better form. Still, since I first saw him play, there has not been a remotely better player to take his place. This lad is something special.
                  Probably clear from my comments above that I agree with the tenor of this. I want POM to be his abrasive, clever and demanding self for us and Ireland for years to come. That said, I’m not sure his being in every Irish side is the best way of achieving this, and I think the captaincy is not. Ryan, in my view, didn’t have a great WC, and was up there with players who more or less played to their ability but didn’t exceed that. He wasn’t one of those that was below par. Again, if it’s good for Ireland AND for his further development I’d support his being captain, but I’m not sure it is best for him.

Comment

Ryan didn't have a great RWC - agreed. The rest of them didn't have a great RWC either.
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Jay, sorry to be pedantic but by definition, you can only play to your ability, you can't play better than that, otherwise you have the ability to play better.

Personally, I thought very few Irish players played to their ability in this RWC , maybe, CJ, POM & VdF, Ruddock, Conway & Larmour. Ryan & Earl's played a bit below imho.

Without sounding like a broken record, but 2 of those select few, who actually played to their potential, were only on the bench for the 1/4 final, & Conway wasn't even on the squad ffs....... way to go Joe!!!
                      Last edited by Daithi; 23rd-October-2019, 11:42.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

That’s ok- pedantry is something we share. However, I would take issue with your comment- you may be an a-student, with says something about your consistent performance over time, but you may have the aptitude (given hard work etc) to perform at a higher level (a*),
                        however because you are ill, or an exam catches you out, in a given exam you may only get a b. I could go into much more detail, but that would be pedantic.

Comment

Did not realise that there was an issue in NZ about the Irish supporters singing during the haka https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2__0liK7y9I although to be honest I was a bit disgusted that the All Blacks performed some dance during the Fields.
                          Last edited by The Last Stand; 27th-October-2019, 02:33.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                            Did not realise that there was an issue in NZ about the Irish supporters singing during the haka https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2__0liK7y9I although to be honest I was a bit disgusted that the All Blacks performed some dance during the Fields.
                            This sanctimonious ****e makes me dislike a team I used to really admire.

The haka is their thing and good luck to them, but how people respond should be entirely their choice. I don’t really see the need for everybody to stand silently and meekly while a bunch of lads (most of whom have feck all Maori heritage) do a war dance to get their blood up for a game. We celebrate our heritage while they celebrate theirs, then we all get on with the business at hand.

Comment

I'm told that Munster completely ignored it in 1978.

Comment

its the equivalent of your local club team facing their biggest local rivalry and before the kick off they were allow to scream and shout abuse and threats from their side of the half way line and you were required by the Munster branch just to stand there silently and listen to it ????

Comment

Working...
                                X