The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

You may not be convinced that at one point Sexton was a better player, but some heavy hitters in world rugby were
    at one point convinced of it.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...10265?mode=amp
    They didn't want to give it to BB 3 years in a row; and if Sexton misses that drop goal in Paris, he doesn't get the award. He was not a better all around player in 2018. He had a great year, but I'll bet you anything if the people voting for that award had to choose between them to build a team around, even for just one season, they'd pick BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

You forgot to mention James Ryan. The best player on the Ireland team and the only one who would remotely challenge for a spot in a World XV. This lad is a phemomenon. He can do everything a lock has to do and has an engine that lets him play the full 80 every game. He will only get better. He should be appointed captain right now and a team built around him for the next several years. I have no doubt he will go down as Ireland's best ever lock and must be pretty close already.
      Farrell will make him captain surely. Which is frightening because two years ago he was sitting in a hospital bed and had barely played a professional game.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
        Farrell will make him captain surely. Which is frightening because two years ago he was sitting in a hospital bed and had barely played a professional game.
        Yes possibly, but can someone tell me has he actually captained many sides on his way up?
        his province yet?? Or had all this been dreamed up by a scribe writing for the D4 market.???
        (the same type who ushered about RK's great positional play or how he was 'safe' at the back...)

I notice the same sources in the Dublin Mejia don't reference his previous captaincy experience in their gushing campaign to make him the anointed one....

This Irish team already has a Lion's test captain in its ranks, (we don't have many of those ever in the history of the game), who is also one of their outstanding players & leaders,. He also captained Irish underage sides right through the representative ranks, including his province already, and Ireland on several occasions when Best was unavailable. He has a good bit more experience than Ryan & is a warrior that any player would follow into battle. This player & captain is POM.
        Last edited by Daithi; 22nd-October-2019, 05:43.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Yes possibly, but can someone tell me has he actually captained many sides on his way up?
          his province yet?? Or had all this been dreamed up by a scribe writing for the D4 market.???
          (the same type who ushered about RK's great positional play or how he was 'safe' at the back...)

I notice the same sources in the Dublin Mejia don't reference his previous captaincy experience in their gushing campaign to make him the anointed one....

This Irish team already has a Lion's test captain in its ranks, (we don't have many of those ever in the history of the game), who is also one of their outstanding players & leaders,. He also captained Irish underage sides right through the representative ranks, including his province already, and Ireland on several occasions when Best was unavailable. He has a good bit more experience than Ryan & is a warrior that any player would follow into battle. This player & captain is POM.
          Schools junior cup and senior cup captain, leinster and ireland schools captain, leinster u19 and Ireland u20's captain (beat all blacks and made the final). So plenty of experience as captain.

POM like most players will have to prove he deserves his place and also how to not annoy the refs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Schools junior cup and senior cup captain, leinster and ireland schools captain, leinster u19 and Ireland u20's captain (beat all blacks and made the final). So plenty of experience as captain.

POM like most players will have to prove he deserves his place and also how to not annoy the refs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
            One thing about Saturday which really stands out for me in retrospect. We were expecting a performance, no doubt the team and mgt expected a performance. However on the day only one team delivered and that was the team who were favourites and the ones who should have been under more pressure. We had a bit of a free shot at them but seemed to buckle mentally, Sextons dodgy touch finders (he should never captain a team) the standout moments.

Only two players in the first half delivered when they game had some meaning and that was POM and Best.

POM really is a leader and deserves the armband for a couple of seasons,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

They didn't want to give it to BB 3 years in a row; and if Sexton misses that drop goal in Paris, he doesn't get the award. He was not a better all around player in 2018. He had a great year, but I'll bet you anything if the people voting for that award had to choose between them to build a team around, even for just one season, they'd pick BB.
              I just checked. Sexton did get that drop goal.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

I'm not sure how you can lament poor selection at full back and then propose Sexton, of all people. He has even less gas than Kearney and has never really excelled in the loose and is the opposite of the Barrett-like player who profits from extra space.
                Less gas than Kearney? That means he gets the best parking spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post

One thing about Saturday which really stands out for me in retrospect. We were expecting a performance, no doubt the team and mgt expected a performance. However on the day only one team delivered and that was the team who were favourites and the ones who should have been under more pressure. We had a bit of a free shot at them but seemed to buckle mentally, Sextons dodgy touch finders (he should never captain a team) the standout moments.

Only two players in the first half delivered when they game had some meaning and that was POM and Best.

POM really is a leader and deserves the armband for a couple of seasons,

Ryan is an obvious choice for long term captain because of his age, and promise, but he didn’t have a great World Cup- did anyone? POM, if he is playing well enough, seems to me the obvious short term choice. We have been dropping off for the last year, from heights we have never scaled before. For me, this is time to build anew, and if we pick on form and promise, and appoint the captain from those we want on the pitch, that’ll do me.

Comment

There should be no long term captain. One year that covers on Six nations and then reappoint someone or appoint someone new.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                      There should be no long term captain. One year that covers on Six nations and then reappoint someone or appoint someone new.
                      I agree with this. Being long term captain was a factor in persisting with a fading Rory Best for this RWC, and tbh, I don't think that served Ireland well at all. An annual appointment of the Irish rugby captain (a bit like the provinces do now) would be much better & flexible imho. They could even rotate it around the leadership group possibly.

POM for captain, as he is by far the outstanding choice for this coming year imho.

P.s. ijwt all players must show they deserve their place buddy. ryan, sexton & even ringrose included!!
                      Last edited by Daithi; 22nd-October-2019, 09:41.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Seems too early to give it to Ryan, let him develop his game and the line out calling etc and then make a call in a year or two. Always felt BOD had it too long and too soon.

The only issue with POM is whether Farrell sees him as first choice 6, if he does then he’s the right captain for now

Comment

Ryan should be the first name on the team sheet. There is no other lock in the country even close to him. He is also captain material and I'm fairly sure has earned the respect of the squad at this stage. Ireland need him to become a true great and I think that Farrell giving him the nod before the Six Nations would help with him kicking on another level.

POM is not assured of his place in the 23 and giving him the captaincy means you have to pick him even though he may not be up to it; to me that would be a crazy call from Farrell. Same goes for Sexton.

Ryan captain and Murray as vice-captain for me.

Comment

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-38616102.html

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                              Ryan should be the first name on the team sheet. There is no other lock in the country even close to him. He is also captain material and I'm fairly sure has earned the respect of the squad at this stage. Ireland need him to become a true great and I think that Farrell giving him the nod before the Six Nations would help with him kicking on another level.

POM is not assured of his place in the 23 and giving him the captaincy means you have to pick him even though he may not be up to it; to me that would be a crazy call from Farrell. Same goes for Sexton.

Ryan captain and Murray as vice-captain for me.
                              Am sympathetic to this, and can see Ryan as the only clear longer term contender at this point. It might give him a boost, but it might equally be better for his development to focus on his own game. The critical thing is that we don’t end up picking someone because they are captain. I’d agree this may become a risk with someone like POM.

While Farrell knows the players well, I would prefer he didn’t, early on, make long term decisions before he sees how well/whether players adapt to the style changes that must surely come. A one year captaincy role seems most sensible- and a Murray/POM with Ryan as VC might be a good blend of experience and promise.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Am sympathetic to this, and can see Ryan as the only clear longer term contender at this point. It might give him a boost, but it might equally be better for his development to focus on his own game. The critical thing is that we don’t end up picking someone because they are captain. I’d agree this may become a risk with someone like POM.

While Farrell knows the players well, I would prefer he didn’t, early on, make long term decisions before he sees how well/whether players adapt to the style changes that must surely come. A one year captaincy role seems most sensible- and a Murray/POM with Ryan as VC might be a good blend of experience and promise.
                                I don't think that we have ever appointed a long-term captain, i.e. told a player and pubicly announced that someone is captain for the next 2, 3, 4 years.

Even before the WC squad announcement it was not publicly announced that Best would be the squad captain (of course it was generally expected). It was confirmed along with the squad announcement. If people are advocating for a situation where someone would automatically be excluded from retaining the captaincy for the next season then that is nonsense. If the player is the right man for the job he should keep it for 10 years if he turns out not to be it should be passed on to the next man.

Comment

Working...
                                X