The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Ok, let's put this another way. Imagine if New Zealand had instead made 4-5 clear selection errors, if they had used a fully figured out, out moded game plan that was piss easy to defend against, and if they played their full side only 7 days before in a tournament (versus v opposition's 14 days rest & prep), where they had already shown they were struggling with recovery rates....

Now, do you think that would have made a difference!?!

P.s. just for good measure, both of their key playmakers who manage chronic injuries & niggles were also played 7 days before versus Samoa ffs!!!
    I take your point but the whole gameplan was a busted flush 10 months ago, yet no alternative had been developed by Saturday. I think Sexton and Carberry were woefully short on game time and needed a confidence boost re the Samoa game. Is it too much to ask professional Rugby players to play back to back over 7 days given the fitness programme would have been built around peaking now.

I personally was critical of some of the Irish Press being too down on the team after the Japan game, turns out they were quite right to say that the team was in big trouble. It’s yet another World Cup that’s gone horribly wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If Wales turned over the ball with a 3 man overlap inside their own 22 they have the latent running game to finish it off, if Ireland turned over the ball with a 3 man overlap you can nearly be sure one of those three men will seek contact.

The one time it did occur was against Italy in the 6N with Zeebs Earlsy and JHeaz all involved (IIRC)

I think that latent running and skills game needs to be readministered
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

If Joe was in Jones shoes Mike Brown and Robshaw would be starting, Geoff Parling too.
        Wonder if IJWT disagrees with this also?
        \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          If Wales turned over the ball with a 3 man overlap inside their own 22 they have the latent running game to finish it off, if Ireland turned over the ball with a 3 man overlap you can nearly be sure one of those three men will seek contact.

The one time it did occur was against Italy in the 6N with Zeebs Earlsy and JHeaz all involved (IIRC)

I think that latent running and skills game needs to be readministered
          Flannery is spot on. Skills need to be prioritized throughout Irish rugby, from underage systems up.

Comment

We all wanted the team to win the world cup ,no doubt Joe schmidt and the players wanted it more than even us .
            what it comes down to is preparation and luck ,we didnt have much luck but we were so lacking in preparation and in this facet schmidt has to shoulder the blame or else it's the players who didnt do as was planned.
            Our back play for the last year or 2 has been appallingly bad ,a good junior coach could dismantle or defend against it ,as for the Johnny Sexton loop and having things up our sleeve ,give me patience
            Last edited by RED 49; 21st-October-2019, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Flannery is spot on. Skills need to be prioritized throughout Irish rugby, from underage systems up.

The irony is though that what Munster used do under fla. run in to contact repeatedly in the red zone until we cough the ball up.

Comment

https://images.app.goo.gl/u46u7LgihuLzifbcA

Ah jeez Lawrence, come off the whiskey & wake up to the real world. Larmour is such an upgrade over the Rob Kearney of 2019 that it's not even funny that RK was selected ahead of him.

He's far faster, fitter, & younger and offers a (much better) attacking option, while visibly improving with every game at international level. Not selecting him or Conway at 15 @RWC19 was a travesty imho.
                He’s not an improvement in terms of being a playmaker. He’s obviously faster and doesn’t get stripped in contact all the time, but he’s not got that footballing playmaking ability

Comment

I don’t think there are a handful of players that can be happy with their contribution over the RWC. Furlong and Conway are the only ones that spring to mind. Earls and stocktake did nothing and nothing wrong, Chris Farrell, jordi and CJ are in the did ok camp and Ruddock probably raised his stock a bit. Henderson was quiet, Cian Healy has gone backwards, POM had moments in games but Henshaw and Bundee has more handling errors than anything else.

As a group they have failed, but individually very few can be happy with their own performances.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post

The irony is though that what Munster used do under fla. run in to contact repeatedly in the red zone until we cough the ball up.
                    From underage up... no matter how much you work on improving your skill set when you're in your twenties, you'll never be as proficient as someone who's been doing it since they were a teenager, or younger.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

He’s not an improvement in terms of being a playmaker. He’s obviously faster and doesn’t get stripped in contact all the time, but he’s not got that footballing playmaking ability
                      Okay, that's your opinion, but he's a huge improvement as a counter attacker, finisher and outside runner. Ireland may try to source a second play maker closer to the action I.e. @ 12 in time.

Joey at 10 with Johnny at 12 or vice versa may be an option going forward maybe?!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Okay, that's your opinion, but he's a huge improvement as a counter attacker, finisher and outside runner. Ireland may try to source a second play maker closer to the action I.e. @ 12 in time.

Joey at 10 with Johnny at 12 or vice versa may be an option going forward maybe?!
                        I want to see both joey and Johnny price their fitness by starting at least half a dozen in a row and playing 60 mins + before planning anything around them. We’ve sort s year sinking slowly while waiting to see Sexton play consistently like the Johnny of old. I can’t see the point in doing so any longer.

Comment

Yea right, Johnny and Joey defending runs from
                          tuilagi or vakatawa would end well alright.

Comment

That was brutal. Best, sad to say, was a great servant but was one of a few not up to it. Suspect we might not see much more of Sexton in green either. Carbery and Scannell surely will be starting come the 6N.

Comment

Carbery is the obvious one to use at FB, but that was never tried, even put Sexton back there where he has less hits to take.

The inability of our halfbacks and midfield to get our wingers into attacking play is a complete failure, and an embarrassing failure. Earls and Stockdale scored no try’s in the WC, and they didn’t look like doing it either.

NZ, Japan and SA play to bring Reece, Kolbe, mampipi, Fukuoka etc etc into the game, where they can do damage and it always involves more than just the 10 playing the ball. LeRoux looks for skip passes to Kolbe, the Japanese are comfortable in a lot of areas to get the ball wide.
                              I'm not sure how you can lament poor selection at full back and then propose Sexton, of all people. He has even less gas than Kearney and has never really excelled in the loose and is the opposite of the Barrett-like player who profits from extra space.

Comment

I don’t think there are a handful of players that can be happy with their contribution over the RWC. Furlong and Conway are the only ones that spring to mind. Earls and stocktake did nothing and nothing wrong, Chris Farrell, jordi and CJ are in the did ok camp and Ruddock probably raised his stock a bit. Henderson was quiet, Cian Healy has gone backwards, POM had moments in games but Henshaw and Bundee has more handling errors than anything else.

As a group they have failed, but individually very few can be happy with their own performances.
                                You forgot to mention James Ryan. The best player on the Ireland team and the only one who would remotely challenge for a spot in a World XV. This lad is a phemomenon. He can do everything a lock has to do and has an engine that lets him play the full 80 every game. He will only get better. He should be appointed captain right now and a team built around him for the next several years. I have no doubt he will go down as Ireland's best ever lock and must be pretty close already.
                                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                                X