No announcement yet.

The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England will probably end up winning the thing and the 6 nations will come round, we will beat the world champs, get lulled into a false sense that we’re world beaters once again and come the next World Cup we will exit once again at the quarters. I think that’s how our cycle is supposed to go or thereabouts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

I know it's off topic, but completely agree re Munster. I would gladly take two mediocre seasons if it meant we had a new golden generation in two years time.
      I’d be for this as well. The. Managed decline strategy is by its nature flawed. Need something new , while a big thanks to the players who have raised the bar but not able to take us further due to age etc.

Comment

Originally posted by reded View Post

I’d be for this as well. The. Managed decline strategy is by its nature flawed. Need something new , while a big thanks to the players who have raised the bar but not able to take us further due to age etc.
        Not a chance sacrificing another two years. We have a team - there may need to be tough calls on certain players and to bring in youth but we are not a million miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Not a chance sacrificing another two years. We have a team - there may need to be tough calls on certain players and to bring in youth but we are not a million miles away.
          We are more then 3 fold score away at intl level.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
            Be interesting to see how Farrell and Catt pick an Irish 23 without the blue glasses and rds showjumping helmets on.
            I wonder if Farrell will poach Lancaster from Leinster, though? Plus ca change if so
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Off topic but from a Munster point of view I would suffer short term pain by blooding Knox. Casey. Ben Healy in. If we don’t feature in a euro semi for three years so be it. Hansen made a good point today. Experience in big games in nz doesn’t cut it. Form does. And by current form I would have Mathewson starting over Murray in November.
              NZ pick players on form regardless of age, they don't select young players who are actively worse than the current guys in the hope they'll one day reach a higher ceiling. Short term pain shouldn't come into it. Blooding a bunch of young players into a losing environment in the exact opposite of the point Hansen was making, they maintain a winning culture at any cost. Taking a few seasons out to build a new team is more like the Argentinian model and it doesn't get them particularly far.

Comment

Well that was embarrassing......
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                  Well that was embarrassing......
                  Yes, but absolutely no surprise. However much we hoped
                  that somehow all the signs from 6N onwards we
                  misleading, in fact they were entirely true. Whether through delusion or seeing no better chance, we basically kept trying the same, increasingly ineffective tactics with the same players- barely fit in some cases. Instead of being able to build to the RWC like England, AB and SA, joe and his coaching team just tried desperately to cling to the past. That, for me, was the embarrassment.

Comment

On reflection though this tournament suits the tri nations teams. And the climate. We peak dec to may.

Comment

On reflection though this tournament suits the tri nations teams. And the climate. We peak dec to may.
                      Both times we beat NZ it was this time of year.
                      England and one of Wales/France will be in the semis.
                      Two of the rugby championship four sides are already out of the competition.

Comment

Joe adroitly deflecting the blame by saying he doesn't like to see players apologising after the match......? Never change Joe, never change.

Nice to see POM playing well today, can't think of any other positive other than we avoided England putting a record score on us had we somehow scraped through.
                        "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by reded View Post

We are more then 3 fold score away at intl level.
                          Perhaps - but I think I am one of those “sad” people who may have a greater love for Munster. I was in the Millennium stadium in 2006 and 2008 for Munster, and 2009 for Ireland and the grand slam. 2006 still beats all rugby memories.

I would be thrilled with another 6 nations but another H- Cup for Munster would be unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                            Joe adroitly deflecting the blame by saying he doesn't like to see players apologising after the match......? Never change Joe, never change.

Nice to see POM playing well today, can't think of any other positive other than we avoided England putting a record score on us had we somehow scraped through.
                            No munster hamstrings ripped off the bone or torn knee ligaments.

Munster going into the pool from hell with a couple of players looking better and better - killer and CJ and Conway and Farrell

Could be worse, from the red corner like
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

I agree with most of your post, but this statement isn't IMO something to be accepted as just one of those things, a factor which was unfortunate yet inevitable. Rather, it sums up one of the greatest flaws in Joe's approach to the game - a lack of flexible thinking, whether in relation to gameplan/tactics or selection.

We've had some great days with him at the helm, and I'm not dismissing or belittling some historic moments achieved under his guidance. But rather than using those as stepping-stones to further achievement - the way e.g. Warren Gatland has - they turned out to be the high water mark, from which he and we have since receded.
                              Agree, may be clumsy wording but that was what I was driving at. His increasing rigidity was his undoing, if you compare the teams he coached at Clermont or Leinster they played heads up rugby and he trusted players to make decisions on the pitch. Not really seen that from Schmidts Ireland. Certainly not of late.

Comment

The wheels came off and plenty of ye knew it and called it well ahead of time. Tomorrow's another day. We're all Japanese now.
                                The journey was good
                                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                                X