The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
    Lol, POM is nailed on. Farrell should start as should Larmour. No good going 3, 6, 9 nil up after 15 mins then be 14-9 down after 25 mins. We ll need to score 3 tries. Watch Joe start Rob and it cost us.
    What was the score the last time we played?

Comment

Larmour over Kearney every day for me

Henshaw over Ringrose
      Farrell at 12

Can't see what Stockdale is contributing so Conway for me

Usual back row, 2nd row, and front row (though I'd seriously consider starting Killer but unfortunately too late to select Scannell over Best)

P.s. if we start with Kearney, Stockdale & Best , there'll be 3 better fellas left out & you can't pick your side so sub optimally v NZ & expect to get away with it, unfortunately......

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
        Larmour over Kearney every day for me

Henshaw over Ringrose
        Farrell at 12

Can't see what Stockdale is contributing so Conway for me

Usual back row, 2nd row, and front row (though I'd seriously consider starting Killer but unfortunately too late to select Scannell over Best)

P.s. if we start with Kearney, Stockdale & Best , there'll be 3 better fellas left out & you can't pick your side so sub optimally v NZ & expect to get away with it, unfortunately......
        I suspect the majority of people on here are with you, on most of these calls. But if we ask ourselves who we actually believe joe will pick I suspect we’d also more or less agree. Unfortunately the two teams would differ, mainly around Joes old stagers. I’m equally sure we’ll all be glued to the tv next Saturday, and fair play to all the lads in here who are lucky enough to actually be there. It’s a mad mad hope to think otherwise, but this will be the last side Joe selects for Ireland, it has been frustrating and fantastic. Maybe those to whom he has been so loyal will repay that on Saturday, it’s probably their last game too.

Last edited by jagawayagain; 14th-October-2019, 06:42.

Comment

Ireland by 1.
          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Who cares?

This is a new game with much bigger stakes. Kearney is well past his best.

NZ are the better team, but it's a 2 horse race and Ireland have a chance if everything goes well.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Ok sport, sorry youre right, lets build a score playing 8 man rugby kicking 3 pointers and lets see how that works out
              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Looking at our three wingers, I wonder is Stockdale vulnerable for selection? Earls can play either wing and Conway has delivered in everything he's been asked to do, including defensively. While it won't be the winning of the game, Earls and Conway would give us formidable width.
                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

NZ have been bedding down new systems for the last few months, and it hasn't always gone smoothly - the loss to Oz a case in point. But....I think the idea that we're now back in form is optimistic.

We've put in 2 good performances and 2 poor ones in this tournament.

We'll need our best performance since the last time we beat them, and they'll need to be sub par.

NZ by 12.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Two poor performances could be down to humidity factor which just doesn’t suit us at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I expect NZ to win, but wouldn't at all be surprised if we do.

Far from being an advantage, the lack of game time for NZ, and proper opposition, means they have gone a month without them playing a proper test. We've had three tough games in that time. Yes, tired bodies and all that, but momentum has swung our way.

We absolute need to be at out best, play the right players (Conway over Kearney for me at FB) and need NZ not to be fluid. I can see us taking a lead to h/t, but whether we have the smarts to hold onto one, I don't know.

More than anything I just want us to give them a game.
                      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                        Two poor performances could be down to humidity factor which just doesn’t suit us at all

It could, though I'm not sure that will change by the QFs. I think it's very hard to tell where Ireland are at the moment. I've had moments of hope against Wales and Scotland that the last year has been an aberration caused by preparations, but each time we seem to be coming back on track we've turned in something dreadful.

We'll know soon enough. If the team that beat Wales, Scotland and Samoa turn out and are in with a shout of winning the game with ten to go at the weekend then Joe is a genius who got a tough draw.

If we look like the team of the 6 nations, Twickenham and the games vs Japan and Russia then he's a guy who got a good return from his player pool at the 6N but ultimately fell short of the goals he himself set.

I'm genuinely curious as to which it is.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

Far from being an advantage, the lack of game time for NZ, and proper opposition, means they have gone a month without them playing a proper test. We've had three tough games in that time. Yes, tired bodies and all that, but momentum has swung our way.

We absolute need to be at out best, play the right players (Conway over Kearney for me at FB) and need NZ not to be fluid. I can see us taking a lead to h/t, but whether we have the smarts to hold onto one, I don't know.

More than anything I just want us to give them a game.
                          I don't expect them kiwis to win.
                          With all due respect fitzy, funk that.
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

I wouldnt be too concerned about NZ being able to hit the ground running, I dont see it as an issue for them.
                            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

There’s a couple of things which are in our favour I think:

NZ are favourites and there’s no shame in losing to them, therefore there is a bit more pressure on them , I think that frees us up a bit to have a go at them.

You can be guaranteed Joe has been holding some plays back for the QF.

We will have benefitted greatly from the Samoa game, we needed that game time and in particular our key half backs showing their best form of the season

In contrast NZ, while they are more rested have not played a proper test since the Boks and There is no way Retallick is match fit. Not ideal preparation for a team they now respect.

The Barrett brothers grandfather passed away yesterday which is a tough one in the middle of a World Cup. Rugby is just a game at the end of the day and I’m not trying to be insensitive to mention it but that will be a very unwelcome distraction.

The humidity excuse/factor has gone now and If we can get the correct call on a NH ref, then I genuinely think we have a real shot. Yes we have been patchy all year, but there is a big performance in this team and who better to focus the mind then the Kiwis.

Bring it on.

Comment

As an aside, young Larmer has come on a mile at this RWC. Hes def not a 13 but hes box office at fullback. His game has improved week on week. Sure, he will make mistakes, but invariably the fella is popping up with line breaks and offloads.

He looks to have an extremely high ceiling.

ANYWAYS, lets get pumped

Last edited by Cowboy; 14th-October-2019, 09:53.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X